Coral Vue Hydros

TJ's Planted Adventure - Transfers & New Plans

TJ_Burton

A little bit of humor for the day...

Most of us out there have had nerite snails in our aquariums, freshwater or saltwater. In keeping these snails, you'll make the observation that they periodically make their way to the surface of the water, and hang out at the top of the tank above the water line. This is commonplace for the species kept in freshwater and those kept in saltwater. Well, it turns out the only thing keeping them in your tank when they decide to come to the surface to rest, is your tank trim...

I have 6 nerites in my 25 gallon rimless tank, and every day I pick up anywhere from 2, to all 6 of them, and toss them back into the aquarium. Luckily they are a species capable of creating a waxy layer at the shell door/entry to trap remaining moisture in their shell, and thus are capable of surviving water free for days. It surprises me how far they get sometimes; mostly when they are on the floor and a few feet away from the tank stand (assuming they fell and bounced - they are usually on their backs). Many times I find them stuck to the outside of the tank in random spots on the glass. Sometimes at the top, sometimes at the bottom, sometimes alone, sometimes in a pile all together.

This morning I found one on the floor, and then did another quick check around the outside of the tank. I was surprised to see that one was stuck to the aquarium stand. I finally decided I should take a picture and post it up for others to enjoy. I wish I started taking pics of this much earlier on; I'd have an album by now!

Anyways, this is what I woke up to today:

NeriteRYdNm.jpg

That reminds me of the time I found my Blue Lobster walking across the floor. LOL!

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am happy to say that I kicked Lyngbya's butt and reclaimed my reef from the clutches of that filthy brown stringy garbage. I snapped a quick pick (lights are almost out) just to mark this day in reefing history! Well... at least in my reefing history.

IMG_3476YC81y.jpg

Also, I saw an interesting post on corals with protein infections that cause discoloration in pigments a while back and thought it was quite interesting. The coral highlighted in the post was an orange Montipora setosa with patches of green pigments; it was a very neat situation that I figured was fairly uncommon. Apparently I may have a coral in my collection with a similar type of discoloration. I acquired a red/orange plating Montipora a while ago and never noticed, until recently, that it has very small green patches. There are probably 20 or so of these markings across the entire coral. The Montipora is about 5" x 4" and relatively flat compared to my foliosa. Just thought it was interesting and worth sharing.

IMG_34679f4Gg.jpg

Im glad you were able to get that algae under control im currently battling cyano and glad to say its in the final stage.

Did the article say whether or not it would spread over the entire coral?is it harmful?

tank looks great BTW

Im glad you were able to get that algae under control im currently battling cyano and glad to say its in the final stage.

Did the article say whether or not it would spread over the entire coral?is it harmful?

tank looks great BTW

Thanks, Hype!

Tank has a long way to go still, but I am glad I can finally start adding more SPS and gluing things down without worrying about that awful algae.

As for the "protein infection"...

If you google grafted setosa or grafted montipora you'll see what I am referring to. It isn't harmful to the coral at all and is something you can manufacture intentionally if you have two color variations of the same coral subspecies.

Quick article on coral grafting: http://www.reef2reef.com/blog/grafting-corals-the-art-of-coral-grafting/

And on protein infections in corals: http://www.orafarm.com/blog/2011/01/20/gfp-green-fluorescent-protein-infection/

I have been meaning to get a video of my 'pet' Eunice worm for a long time now, but never had the opportunity for several reasons. He was elusive, disliked light, and hardly came out of his hole. About a month ago I changed his aquascape so that it was more open and vertical, and since then he has been making himself more viewable and easier to film.

A little history on Smaug (named after the dragon under the mountain)
Close to two years ago, I purchased a bunch of live rock from an LFS to start my 20 gallon reef system. I happily picked out several prime pieces of live rock, completely unaware of the hitchhiker that lurked within. After several months and a few disappearances, I finally caught my first glimpse of a skinny, 10" long worm with 5 points sticking out of it's face... knowing what a Eunice worm looks like from a previous encounter years ago, I understood I had to remove it as soon as possible.

In the process of removing the Eunice worm from my tank, I had broken it up into a pile of pieces. I threw 90% of the worm out, but its little head and tiny 1/2" section of body seemed to remain steadfast in its struggle for survival. I decided to set up a small 5 gallon tank and tossed what was left of the worm into the new tank. A few weeks later I looked into the tank and was surprised to see that a good portion of the worm had already regrown, and jumping ahead to today, he is almost 2' in length and the circumference of a sharpie!

He eats just about everything from shrimp pellets to culled guppy fry. I intend to keep him for his entire life span and am fascinated by him on a daily basis.

Without further delay, I present to you, Smaug!

That was friggin awesome ! Perfect music too. It reminded me of the Movie King Kong with Jack Black when they fell into that pit of crazy insects. Very nice veriety of life in there.

That was friggin awesome ! Perfect music too. It reminded me of the Movie King Kong with Jack Black when they fell into that pit of crazy insects. Very nice veriety of life in there.

Glad you liked it!

The water box keeper in me wants to say "really cool", but I just kept thinking....creeepyyyyyyy

Most of the people who have met Smaug feel that way... lol

Holy crap dude! Very cool. I praise you for your care of this amazing animal. Well done and awesome video.

Thanks a ton; it is an amazing creature and it is a real pleasure to be able to observe it on a daily basis! I have been waiting patiently for him to be camera ready and was so stoked that I could finally get a video up!

Haha,

He seems to be getting some exposure! 180+ views when I checked the video this morning. Pretty cool :)

I want to get another species as well, Eunice aphroditois, a known polyp eater to boot! Should be a fun worm to work with if I manage to find one!

I have decided that I want to get a controller on this bad boy!
As much as I like my Medusa, and the AquaMedic dosing system, I really think I'd like a good controller that I can connect with via the web. Something that is going to graph out levels and readings and give me more control over my system...

This is going to be a surprise, so I won't say which controller I am going with, but I will show you what my touch screen will look like!

IPhone_5E8B37.png

Hopefully I will have it up and running in a few months. Plenty of time for me to play with my tank and get things well started before I go all tech-crazy on this reef!

Wow, well over a thousand views on that video! Wasn't really expecting that, hahaha.

Tonight I am going to glue some things down in my reef and finally have a pic worth posting! It's been a challenging start, but well worth it. I have more plating corals than I have places to put them at the moment, but maybe ill just run with it lol. No point in letting them go to waste!

I have been meaning to get a video of my 'pet' Eunice worm for a long time now, but never had the opportunity for several reasons. He was elusive, disliked light, and hardly came out of his hole. About a month ago I changed his aquascape so that it was more open and vertical, and since then he has been making himself more viewable and easier to film.

A little history on Smaug (named after the dragon under the mountain)

Close to two years ago, I purchased a bunch of live rock from an LFS to start my 20 gallon reef system. I happily picked out several prime pieces of live rock, completely unaware of the hitchhiker that lurked within. After several months and a few disappearances, I finally caught my first glimpse of a skinny, 10" long worm with 5 points sticking out of it's face... knowing what a Eunice worm looks like from a previous encounter years ago, I understood I had to remove it as soon as possible.

In the process of removing the Eunice worm from my tank, I had broken it up into a pile of pieces. I threw 90% of the worm out, but its little head and tiny 1/2" section of body seemed to remain steadfast in its struggle for survival. I decided to set up a small 5 gallon tank and tossed what was left of the worm into the new tank. A few weeks later I looked into the tank and was surprised to see that a good portion of the worm had already regrown, and jumping ahead to today, he is almost 2' in length and the circumference of a sharpie!

He eats just about everything from shrimp pellets to culled guppy fry. I intend to keep him for his entire life span and am fascinated by him on a daily basis.

Without further delay, I present to you, Smaug!

That vid is awesome...i actually watched it on reefbuilders first. Great job on the feature

Alright, I have loafed enough... tonight I will post some pics of where the tank currently stands (already started gluing corals down). It isn't looking perfect, but I might as well document it from start to finish, rather than just take pics when it is looking prime. At least that way, everyone can see what the corals looked like when they were originally placed in the tank, and how they grow over time in said placement. Good to have for my own records methinks.

So this is what it looked like prior to me gluing things in place. I also decided not to use ALL of the montipora caps that I have, some are currently in the sump until further notice.

IMG_3284V2Rwu.jpg

IMG_328378X5y.jpg

IMG_3282VbSpv.jpg

That worm is terrifying, yet I am in love with the colors. Whenever you see the 5 ft pics of em laid out on the ground they just look brown I had no idea they were kind of colored kind of opalescent.

I had to laugh with all the life going on around the entrance of the cave scurrying around out of smaugs way.

Looks like the worm from Star Wars when they are in the asteroid. I was waiting for the Millennium Falcon to come flying out of its mouth. LOL

Archived