SaltCritters.com

TJ's Planted Adventure - Transfers & New Plans

TJ_Burton

This build is the first time I have ever started without live rock, and I have been curious about how long it would take for green algae to start developing etc. indicating the tail end of the cycle. Last week I started to get some diatom algae on the substrate and glass, and last night I noticed that I am already getting green algae. I was pretty sure it was going to take longer than that to get algae going considering that the tank had no real "live" rock or sand to start off... This may be because I added some well cultured frags from my system at work, or maybe it is something that comes along with using ATM Colony to get the nitrifying bacteria established.

I am going to start testing parameters (which I usually do not have to do during a cycle) tonight and see where they are sitting. The frags have been doing well since I put them in so I am not terribly worried either way. I may pick up some snails sooner than expected.

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very nice!!!! No skimming appears to be the latest "in thing" for happy clams. :)

I think the difficulty will be finding the right balance of nutrient import and export to keep both the Clams and SPS happy. I may require more clams than I am currently planning to house, or possibly less.

I think the difficulty will be finding the right balance of nutrient import and export to keep both the Clams and SPS happy. I may require more clams than I am currently planning to house, or possibly less.

You may want to try part time skimming. On my 210 Clam/SPS I tried no skimming but noticed a little RTN on some SPS ( not saying for sure it was the result of no skimming). So now I only skim that system on weekends and never use carbon.

You may want to try part time skimming. On my 210 Clam/SPS I tried no skimming but noticed a little RTN on some SPS ( not saying for sure it was the result of no skimming). So now I only skim that system on weekends and never use carbon.

Since setting up and running my 20 gallon without a skimmer for almost 2 years, I can say for sure it isn't required for SPS, but rather that it helps to prevent a need for regular water changes. I haven't had any issues growing SPS, and the only difficulty I find is maintaining the best coloration in harder SPS.

On a big 210 I can certainly see why you would want to run a skimmer part time; I'd hate to do weekly 25% changes on that beast!

Well folks, it seems like I have come close to the end of a very short cycle. Green algae has already sprung up and it is time for me to start adding my CUC before things get too unsightly. As the addition of corals draws nearer, I am beginning to compile a list of potential SPS corals to occupy this reef. I am reaching out to my fellow seasoned aquarists for suggestions so please feel free to give me your input!

There are three basic growth forms that I am looking for: Table, Bush, and Staghorn

That isn't to say I wouldn't be open to other growth patterns, but those are the basics that I need to fulfill my desired end result. The trick to this is that I need corals that will show their mature growth patters at a very small or 'compact' size, or can effectively be trimmed to the desired shape in order for it to come together properly in this 25 gallon nano. I do not want to have to butcher a coral into the desired shape; I'd rather just keep it trimmed so it stays compact rather than try to change its natural growth formation.

So far I plan to incorporate the following:

Tabling/Plating
Montipora capricornis/foliosa

Bush
Seriatopora hystrix (or other sp.)

Staghorn
Acropora yongei

Other
Montipora digitata
Montipora Setosa

So give me your suggestions! See if your coral makes the cut. ;)

Looks like you folks are starved for ideas, huh? hahaha...
Note to self: Include pics in every post you want a reply to. ;)

So last night I was in a collision (rear-ended) and today my back is pretty damn sore. Heading to the clinic in a bit to get some physio lined up. Honestly, I've been in collisions in the past with ZERO injury at all, so this is all new to me. I am hoping it is a quick turnaround/recovery so I can stop hobbling around all stiff-like. The other driver seems to be ok. Her airbags went off but she came out with minor bruising and no whiplash. I am just glad that all parties were ok and no serious injuries took place.

Maybe my tank will have sympathy for me and hurry up this cycle so I can start corals scaping! hahaha

Well folks, it seems like I have come close to the end of a very short cycle. Green algae has already sprung up and it is time for me to start adding my CUC before things get too unsightly. As the addition of corals draws nearer, I am beginning to compile a list of potential SPS corals to occupy this reef. I am reaching out to my fellow seasoned aquarists for suggestions so please feel free to give me your input!

There are three basic growth forms that I am looking for: Table, Bush, and Staghorn

That isn't to say I wouldn't be open to other growth patterns, but those are the basics that I need to fulfill my desired end result. The trick to this is that I need corals that will show their mature growth patters at a very small or 'compact' size, or can effectively be trimmed to the desired shape in order for it to come together properly in this 25 gallon nano. I do not want to have to butcher a coral into the desired shape; I'd rather just keep it trimmed so it stays compact rather than try to change its natural growth formation.

Tabling/Plating

Bush

Staghorn

Acropora yongei

Other

Montipora digitata

Montipora Setosa

HHMmmmm...well....Im about to frag a two foot red planet table into several smaller tables, if this should float your boat.

..Sorry about your accident. :mellow:

I'm sorry to hear of the accident, are you alright?

Back is pretty locked up; got some meds from the doc to help deal with pain. I will survive I am sure, hopefully the discomfort doesn't hang around too long!

HHMmmmm...well....Im about to frag a two foot red planet table into several smaller tables, if this should float your boat.

..Sorry about your accident. :mellow:

Honestly, if I wasn't across the border, I would have loved to get some red planet. How compact is it's table growth pattern? Any pics of yours?

Im loving the tank looks so simple cant wait to see it filled with corals. Also how big is your overflow hole?

The drain is only 1" which is standard for many reef-ready tanks.

If that's the case then I would suggest buying corals that have already grown out so that you can see what type of growth form they are going to take. As I'm sure you already know, growth forms can vary quite a bit from one tank to the next.

Tabling/Plating

Bush

Staghorn

Acropora yongei

Other

Montipora digitata

Montipora Setosa

Those are all good choices!! Another to consider is the spathulata https://www.google.com/search?q=acropora+spathulata&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=iHLRUrKfKvHJsQTAjYGQCw&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1680&bih=958. Some of these have insane coloring, and growth form is awesome too, IMO. I'm not sure if they ship up to you guys in Canadia, lol, but LiveAquaria gets some really nice one's in from time to time.

If that's the case then I would suggest buying corals that have already grown out so that you can see what type of growth form they are going to take. As I'm sure you already know, growth forms can vary quite a bit from one tank to the next.

Those are all good choices!! Another to consider is the spathulata https://www.google.com/search?q=acropora+spathulata&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=iHLRUrKfKvHJsQTAjYGQCw&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1680&bih=958. Some of these have insane coloring, and growth form is awesome too, IMO. I'm not sure if they ship up to you guys in Canadia, lol, but LiveAquaria gets some really nice one's in from time to time.

That was more or less my plan for the tables and bush types. Get a hold of some small colonies rather than grow them out from frags. I have seen more than a handful of really compact tables, maybe 3" across already showing a strong table growth, at various stores in my area over the years. I hope to find more of them! I have some skeletons of ones that came in to stores DOA that I can post pics of later to give you an idea of what I am talking about.

Unfortunately no corals come across the border, so LA is out the window. I do have some fantastic suppliers in my area so I know I will get some good stuff. The reason I asked for coral ideas is so I can give those stores/suppliers a list of what I am looking for to try and help insure the arrival of appropriate corals.

That aside,

Tossed some zebra turbos in the tank last night to try and keep the algae from getting any more ridiculous!

As I mentioned previously, these are the coral skeletons of the very compact table and bush acros that I have. I would really like to find some living specimens of these specific or alike acros; for their small size, they already have a pronounced growth formation.

All three next to the tank

IMG_3142fbHD0.jpg

Table 1

IMG_3143qReUW.jpg

Table 2

IMG_3144XsNhr.jpg

Bush

IMG_3145HVmZR.jpg

Hey folks,
Tank is still going through the algae phase of the cycle, and the striped turbos are doing a good job at getting things in order. I have purchased a couple of nice blue maximas for the tank; they currently reside at a friends house along with a bunch of my sps frags that I don't have room for in my office tank.

I am quite anxious to get this thing filled with corals, but as we all know "slow and steady" is the way to go.
I will update with pics when there is something, other than algae, to photograph.

Another quick photoless update:
Tank is clearing up nicely. Picked up a few Trochus snails and a Chalk Basslet. Finally something other than algae and snails to look at.

Here is one of my massive red planet tables. Its been growing for about 5 years. It started off as a 1 " frag from Live Aquaria.

red2_zps025d9e42.jpg

Hey folks,
Tank is still going through the algae phase of the cycle, and the striped turbos are doing a good job at getting things in order. I have purchased a couple of nice blue maximas for the tank; they currently reside at a friends house along with a bunch of my sps frags that I don't have room for in my office tank.

I am quite anxious to get this thing filled with corals, but as we all know "slow and steady" is the way to go.
I will update with pics when there is something, other than algae, to photograph.

May be a little risky introducing clams into a new system, but without a skimmer I guess it should be ok. :)

Here is one of my massive red planet tables. Its been growing for about 5 years. It started off as a 1 " frag from Live Aquaria.

May be a little risky introducing clams into a new system, but without a skimmer I guess it should be ok. :)

That is one big acro; very nice colony you have there... way to put my jaw on the floor!

As for the clams, they won't go in for a couple of months still; my bud has no issues with holding them for me long term if necessary. I will wait until the SPS are holding well before I introduce the clams.

This is a crummy low quality cell photo, but I circled the two that belong to me from his collection.

1622662_10152047915378283_1349806012_nle

TJ... Glad to see you back, I always enjoyed following your tanks.

I have an acropora sarmentosa that is a beautiful tabling acro with really nice polyp extension. Check 'em out...

post-21570-0-85934300-1390877870_thumb.jpg

Really sorry to hear about the accident tj hope your doing better.

Thanks Hype,

I am doing well; I have a few months of physio to do, but I will be A-OK!

TJ... Glad to see you back, I always enjoyed following your tanks.

I have an acropora sarmentosa that is a beautiful tabling acro with really nice polyp extension. Check 'em out...

Looks good! I will certainly keep that species on my brain.

Archived