Coral Vue Hydros

TJ's Planted Adventure - Transfers & New Plans

TJ_Burton

TJ_Burton

Picked up some cool red x red micro zoas and a gold teardrop maxima from my LFS

Tank continues to look AEFW and MAN free! Have some SPS frags waiting to go in this tank to make up for those that were lost. Hopefully I can get them glued in place in a couple weeks.

Night shots

IMG_3749dDmB7.jpg

IMG_3753UD0Ee.jpg

And some other zoas that I really like (Candy Crush is their RR given name)

IMG_3754G4kLt.jpg

And this brain I picked up a while back from the LFS, really digging it.

IMG_3758WKqgj.jpg

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TJ_Burton

I really scored on some SPS colonies for a great price. Good size (but bleached) efflo, and another acro that is a green/yellow color. I also have a handful of cultured SPS colonies on their way to my LFS. Should be in my tank by the end of the month if all goes well. Tank is likely going to go from barren to busting full in the blink of an eye!

Got a new dosing system arriving today (Marine Color - China Made) that will put me at 6 channels of dosing. Going to automate the crap out of the tank and make sure corals are constantly being pounded with their vitamins! Should have fantastic stability which will aid greatly in color and growth.

May be adding some more fish too. Going to try a group of Red Spot Cardinals (Eheim feeder should help keep them beefy) and I want a Yasha in there as well. That will likely conclude my fish load on that tank.

Careful with the Marine Color, mine started leaking after about a month of usage. Hopefully just a fluke.

TJ_Burton

Careful with the Marine Color, mine started leaking after about a month of usage. Hopefully just a fluke.

Leaking from where?

I have been using the SWC dosing pump (same China made product) for a year and a half now with absolutely no issues to speak of. Primary reason I just decided to go with the same type of system rather than blowing copious amounts on Vertex or Pacific Sun etc.

Leaking from where?

I have been using the SWC dosing pump (same China made product) for a year and a half now with absolutely no issues to speak of. Primary reason I just decided to go with the same type of system rather than blowing copious amounts on Vertex or Pacific Sun etc.

I was using pump 1 to topoff, running for 3 minutes at a time 24 times a day. The leak appeared to be some kind of hole that formed inside the hose on one of the pumps. Maybe a piece has a plastic bur on it or something that sliced the hose. These should be pretty much leak proof, unless there's a bad connection, but something sliced the hose.

My other issue with the model I purchased was no power failure recovery. It starts up in manual mode and has to be toggled to automatic. Genius design!

TJ_Burton

I was using pump 1 to topoff, running for 3 minutes at a time 24 times a day. The leak appeared to be some kind of hole that formed inside the hose on one of the pumps. Maybe a piece has a plastic bur on it or something that sliced the hose. These should be pretty much leak proof, unless there's a bad connection, but something sliced the hose.

My other issue with the model I purchased was no power failure recovery. It starts up in manual mode and has to be toggled to automatic. Genius design!

Tubing, figures. Yeah I typically pull it all apart prior to use. I also have a roll of spare tubing that I picked up when I purchased the SWC (have yet to replace any tubes).

As for power failure recovery, I actually prefer that I have to manually turn it over to automatic; my AquaMedic was the same way. God forbid the thing shorts or something and gets stuck on!

*update*

Speak of the devil, dosing system just hit the front door!

Well, now my Bubble Magus pump #1 has started to leak. Same deal, looks like wear and tear on the little hose in the pump. Must be me, or the way I'm using it for topoff. Time to buy a BRS pump I suppose.

Well, now my Bubble Magus pump #1 has started to leak. Same deal, looks like wear and tear on the little hose in the pump. Must be me, or the way I'm using it for topoff. Time to buy a BRS pump I suppose.

The tubing inside the pump? Is it the medical grade stuff your using or is it clear?

Why did you drill the drain at the bottom of the tank?

Tank was pre drilled; I just worked with what I was given.

The tubing inside the pump? Is it the medical grade stuff your using or is it clear?

I don't know. Here's a pic, I'm going to start a thread. What I don't get is the tube was pulled back through the pump, the short end that's getting crimped is on the OUTPUT side. This makes 0 sense to me.

773f5.jpg

I would love to see a list of which products you plan on dosing. im considering setting up my bubble magus with the additional 4 channel add on, for a total of 7 channels.

I would love to see a list of which products you plan on dosing. im considering setting up my bubble magus with the additional 4 channel add on, for a total of 7 channels.

Seachem's premier line Aquavitro is what I'll be dosing. Calcification, Eight.four, Ions, Vibrance, Fuel, and Seachem Zooplankton (may switch this last one)

Clams LOVE Aquavitro Calcification. It's one of the main factors in my gold maxima's steady growth rate.

I don't know. Here's a pic, I'm going to start a thread. What I don't get is the tube was pulled back through the pump, the short end that's getting crimped is on the OUTPUT side. This makes 0 sense to me.

773f5.jpg

Yeah, that is incredibly odd...

markalot,

How long is the airline tubing on the pickup end? Is it supported at all or does it hang? Maybe the weight of the tubing full of water is causing the inner pump tubing to stretch and retract. That may be why you are going through them so fast.

These little peri pumps are really not that robust; I always try to make sure the tubing is supported or at least not overly long and heavy. The larger peri pumps are much better for ATO applications IMO.

markalot,

How long is the airline tubing on the pickup end? Is it supported at all or does it hang? Maybe the weight of the tubing full of water is causing the inner pump tubing to stretch and retract. That may be why you are going through them so fast.

These little peri pumps are really not that robust; I always try to make sure the tubing is supported or at least not overly long and heavy. The larger peri pumps are much better for ATO applications IMO.

Missed this but got the PM, thanks. Yea, that might indeed be the issue so I'll look to support the hose to take any weight off the ends.

Someone in my pump thread reminded me that replacement hoses can be easily purchased, 3 for $9.99

http://premiumaquatics.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PA&Product_Code=BM-DRT&Category_Code=

Haven't had a chance to get my dosing system up and running yet. I am hoping to get it up and running tonight if I am not at the office too late...

treborzelev

773f5.jpg

awesome!

• 2 weeks later...

New dosing system is up and running; so far it is working as expected. 6th dosing pump is not yet in use as I am still in the process of making the automatic magnetic stirrer to insure the zoo/phyto product is dosed correctly.

Quick snap of how it looks at the moment. Will take another shot when the stirrer is all set up etc.

IMG_3774VaMAN.jpg

Dang! :bowdown:

All for a 25 gallon display...

On my way out the door to the cottage on Friday (for the Victoria Day long weekend) I thought to myself " but who is going to feed, top off, dose, and run the lights on my tank?" and then I remembered that I automated ALL OF DAT SHIZ YO! ;)

Just a quick photo update of how the SPS are looking now that the AEFW and MEN have been abolished. Should have a nice shipment of cultured acros coming in next week, and possibly some nice higher end frags coming in a week after that. This tank is going to be pretty damn packed!

Some pics were taken last night when it was mostly actinics, and some were taken today under full spectrum. Corals are encrusting well and the polyp extension looks great! The Acro efflo is slowly recovering (purchased it bleached out).

IMG_3802Sitwu.jpg

IMG_3789VpLBz.jpg

IMG_3793fkg8p.jpg

IMG_3814OZ5WH.jpg

IMG_00029vU8Q.jpg

IMG_0004QjME.jpg

and a couple non-acro pics :)

IMG_38125zmMA.jpg

IMG_3809CzsJ.jpg

Archived