Innovative Marine Aquariums

TJ's Planted Adventure - Transfers & New Plans

TJ_Burton

:grouphug:

What does that light do exactly?

Literally a pure 'UV' led flashlight that does a fantastic job of exciting the fluorescent proteins of corals. In other words it is good for viewing your tank at night and inspecting the pigment distribution of your corals. Very neat tool! I also use it to view my scorpions at night.

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry to hear about the losses. and +1 on that skimmer. I just got the JNS HOB version, it's friggin awesome. Cones look like rocket nozzles.

Damn,

must be a pathogen of some sort. :(

I suppose so. I continue to do my best to stop the issue, including removing all of the acros and dipping them in various solutions (ReVive, RPS ALL OUT, Lugols). So far nothing has stopped the RTN. I run a UV sterilizer on this system as well and would have hoped that it could kill the pathogen - so far that does not seem to be the case.

Sorry to hear about the losses. and +1 on that skimmer. I just got the JNS HOB version, it's friggin awesome. Cones look like rocket nozzles.

The skimmer does work very well - certainly impressed on that front! Definitely not bad to look at either ;)

This entire event I am experiencing reminds me very much of this Reef Builders post regarding Sanjay's RTN event:

http://reefbuilders.com/2013/06/05/rtn-sanjay-joshi/

Beautifully colored acros just peeling to nothing in a day or two... No signs of stress otherwise.

Sorry to hear about your acros, Tj. Have you already fragged them up to try to salvage whatever you can?

Some yes, and the frags of the affected corals usually end up dying as well - oddly, not before regrowing their base or beginning to heal up the cut end. They want to grow, and are doing so well... they are also maintaining color and polyp extension. They just RTN anyways. Troubling...

Some yes, and the frags of the affected corals usually end up dying as well - oddly, not before regrowing their base or beginning to heal up the cut end. They want to grow, and are doing so well... they are also maintaining color and polyp extension. They just RTN anyways. Troubling...

I'm having the same problem with one of my frags. It began to RTN from the base last week so I superglued around the spot and a little further up. Maybe try supergluing them? I haven't seen anymore RTN on that particular frag yet.

I'm having the same problem with one of my frags. It began to RTN from the base last week so I superglued around the spot and a little further up. Maybe try supergluing them? I haven't seen anymore RTN on that particular frag yet.

Already attempted that; didn't stop the RTN for any longer than a day or so.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, this is a post I was hoping to avoid, but it seems as though the reef gods believed I need another serious trial in my reefing career.

The RTN event in my aquarium has resulted in the loss of 99% of my acropora species. I tried quite a few things to stop and reverse the effects of the RTN/STN I was seeing in my acropora species, but nothing was working. Some of these things include: Dips (Iodine, ReVive, RPS All Out, E.M.), Multiple Water Changes, Temp Refining, PH Refining.

After doing as much research as I could imagine, I came across some info on what is referred to as "White Band Disease" in acropora species. It is a Vibrio bacteria (gram negative) and the description lined up quite accurately to what I have been experiencing. Vibrio can be treated with Furan 2, and so I have since (very recently) dipped my few remaining pieces in a strong Furan 2 bath for 5 - 10 minutes.

Some reference materials:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_band_disease
http://www.coris.noaa.gov/about/diseases/

https://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/southflorida/coral/whiteband.html

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2002/6/corals
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1858943

It is a little early to tell if it is working, and I will try a second dip on any acros still showing symptoms, but I do have high hopes that this will resolve my issue, finally allowing me to start focusing on restocking my aquarium with beautiful corals.

Changes I have made since this event occurred:

- Upgraded sump to Trigger Systems Emerald26
- Reduced ATO Reservoir size to increase work space
- Picked up RKL and Chill Solutions Chiller for Temp Control
- Installed and utilized Seneye for monitoring PH and Temp
- Upgraded GFCI outlet
- Installed American DJ AC-100

Changes I plan to make:

- Reroute all cords/wires to look more organized
- Switch refugium light for PAR38 style eBay LED (White, Blue, Cool Blue, Violet, Red, Green)
- Hard plumb system for cleaner look and reduce hanging tubing

Basic layout for the plumbing:

Sump_Guts6hY1i.jpg

This system has been a rollercoaster of emotions for me; recently very trying. I will say that at any moment, regardless of your experience in the hobby, the reef gods can throw a very large and rusty wrench in the cogs of your ecosystem. Be prepared to defend your aquarium as best you can, and never give up on yourself or your aquarium. This hobby is not supposed to be easy, it is supposed to be rewarding. If we never faltered, we would never learn, and we wouldn't feel accomplished. I look forward to the day when this system is packed with coral and I can look back and remember the trials I went through to raise it from the ashes.

I will be doing some more maintenance this week and will post pictures of how things are coming along under the hood, and the vacancy within the display. Thanks for hanging in with me folks; it's been a long and dusty road, but I think I can see some asphalt on the horizon.

Sorry to hear about the Rtn. It's one of the most stressful diseases I have ever encountered. Is usually cut an inch of healthy tissue off from the Rtn site. Trying not to let the infected/receding tissue float off and land on a different coral or a different part of the original infected coral. Then removing the infected area entirely from the tank. Anyway good luck and sorry to hear about the infection.

Sorry to hear about the Rtn. It's one of the most stressful diseases I have ever encountered. Is usually cut an inch of healthy tissue off from the Rtn site. Trying not to let the infected/receding tissue float off and land on a different coral or a different part of the original infected coral. Then removing the infected area entirely from the tank. Anyway good luck and sorry to hear about the infection.

Did plenty of this with absolutely no effect. Corals would regrow over the cut, heal up nicely, then develop the issue shortly thereafter.

It is a really frustrating disease to deal with, and depending on the cause, apparently fragging off healthy pieces is just not enough. I have, in past scenarios, had much success with that method though.

I'm proud of the way you've handled the loss of your beautiful corals. I hope the tank makes a full recovery and is well on it's way to being lush soon.

Thanks, Kat. I appreciate your support through it all. :)

Sorry TJ, hopefully you can put this in the rear view mirror.

More a question of when it will end up in the rear view; I am not ditching the hobby over this.

Not all corals are showing obvious signs of recovery just yet, but I do see some corals responding well. This particular SPS is one of my favorites, and it isn't looking very good at the moment, but I am hoping in the next month or two it gets back to where it was in color and growth.

IMG_3994B502l.jpg

It looked like this prior to the RTN/WBD (Top center SPS - dark pink olive polyps)

IMG_02233KhxL.jpg

Well hopefully you've solved the problem. I have no doubt that your tank will not only bounce back but it will be even better than before. If anyone can turn it around it's you buddy :).

Well hopefully you've solved the problem. I have no doubt that your tank will not only bounce back but it will be even better than before. If anyone can turn it around it's you buddy :).

Much appreciated, brother!

• 2 weeks later...

Man sorry to hear your sps crash. I hope you can find the source. Are you going to try your hands at it again?

It was more of an "Acro" crash. Something specifically targeted acropora sp.

And yes, I will certainly get back at it once I am sure the system is pathogen free.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been doing a lot of thinking about the reef system(s) and about my freshwater planted systems, and how I want to progress in the hobby. Both my 20g office tank and reef at home suffered from the catastrophic SPS STN/RTN event, and maintaining both of these reefs separately has been quite trying on my morale. I have decided it makes more sense for me to amalgamate the two reefs into one, as treating the two tanks for these problems separately is quite taxing. That being said, the reef at home has been stripped of all livestock, and that livestock was transferred to my new 45 gallon rimless cube at the office. I am going to focus on that tank as my primary reef, and convert my tank at home to freshwater planted (possibly more of a paludarium style tank).

So there you have it,
I am not leaving reefing any time soon, but this tank is being converted to a freshwater planted. I am pretty handy with plants, so this should be a very fun project as well. I will continue to use this thread since the tank is technically still going to be in operation.

I will also post up pictures of the office tank as it comes along - sort of a mess of misplaced corals at the moment, but it should start to look like something soon!

Archived