ReefCleaners.org

Nic's life's a beach Edge

andi.rahl

I am pretty much a giant noob when it comes to lighting, so no idea. Maybe feed the duncan twice a week to see if it will pop out more heads.

Maybe you need some fish poop ;)

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What light are you running? I'm having really great luck with T5's. My bulb combo is posted in my tank thread. I don't remember off the top of my head.

I am pretty much a giant noob when it comes to lighting, so no idea. Maybe feed the duncan twice a week to see if it will pop out more heads.

Maybe you need some fish poop ;)

I do feed him! I feed him mysis and brine shrimp. >.< He's just like, "NOPE! I'm stayin how I am!"One of the lfs is ordering a Court Jester Goby (Rainfords Goby) for me on their next order. Should be $20-25 :D

What light are you running? I'm having really great luck with T5's. My bulb combo is posted in my tank thread. I don't remember off the top of my head.

I have 24w HO T5s. 2 actinic, 1 Oceansun, and 1 10k + 2x 2w blue LEDs that run when the lights are on and stay on as moonlights for a bit after the mains turn off.

When my macro grows out (just trimmed it last swap), I will send you a box of stuff for free. I got frags I need to re-home, they are clogging up my sand bed!

Snow_Phoenix

I do feed him! I feed him mysis and brine shrimp. >.< He's just like, "NOPE! I'm stayin how I am!"One of the lfs is ordering a Court Jester Goby (Rainfords Goby) for me on their next order. Should be $20-25 :D

I love Rainfords Gobies! They're adorable. :)

When my macro grows out (just trimmed it last swap), I will send you a box of stuff for free. I got frags I need to re-home, they are clogging up my sand bed!

oh wow, really? Thank you so much! that'd be awesome. <3

I love Rainfords Gobies! They're adorable. :)

Some dude tried to convince me that I should just get a Hector's Goby because it's so similar to the Rainfords, and he wouldn't accept that I wanted the other one because of the exact things that make it a bit different. bah humbug, but they are adorable and I feel it'd be perfect for my tank :D

+1, a rainford is on my list for the macro tank.

Great minds think alike? :wub:

I just need to get some of that mesh from the craft store to close up the gap between my glass top and the back of the tank. Not sure who is ordering for me and when, but it'll be in the next few weeks I hope. I can't wait to have movement in my tank.

Pretty cool look you've got going on in this tank. Very natural feel to it.

Thanks! The sand and most of the rock is from the beach here! I was trying to emulate what I saw in the water here rather than what I'd see in a reef. It is now covered in dwarf ceriths, though, since Reef Cleaners sends out wayyy more snails than necessary ;) I'll have to pick the snails that didn't make it out of the sand one of these days because they're making it look super messy.

So it's been a week since I put the snails in the tank, and I'll be picking the ones out of the sand bed that didn't make it soon. Thinking back, I probably should have put them on some sort of plate or in a bowl so I could just take em out easily. Joy for hindsight and all that jazz...

I know it's not recommended to dose anything without testing, but I've been dosing very small amounts of a ph buffer weekly... I believe I mentioned my coralline not being purple anymore a few posts up? Well after dosing that, for 2 weeks, it's almost all colored up again. I'll switch to every other week now like it says on the bottle. I'm not sure why I thought this would even help, but I'm glad it did. Also, please, don't give me crap for this. I don't really test my water because I only have the remainder of some test stuff a friend sent me, just gotta be honest. If I notice weird changes in my tank, I bring some water to the lfs because frankly I don't have the money right now to order more test supplies.

Which brings me to my next point: I talk to a few people that work in fish stores in various parts of the states, and I had 3 of them recommend Tao Tronics 120w LED fixture as a fairly decent budget light. So I ordered it with my credit card....something I'd have had to do for bulbs in the very near future anyways (In the next week). I figured I'd give it a go with LED and they can be dimmed. Plus, they're shipping with a free timer. Yay promotions. Anyways, I hope they work out. Which is why I don't have money for test kits right now. hah, plus, the fish store is 3 miles away, and it's easier to just get a water test when I buy my saltwater.

I have a "tree" of Gracillaria growing out of my koralia and at this point I think I'll leave it be! I like it there haha.

What else...? hmmm. OH! I found some pretty grasses at the beach on Sunday. So I stuck them in the edge. I'm thinking I'm gonna put the heater back in the edge, and put my other heater (which unfortunately doesn't have a dial, like my theo heater does). Any thoughts on that or will the grasses be ok in the cooler water? Not sure on the temp but I'd guess it's at lower to maybe mid 70s right now.

I'll put up some pics tomorrow since the lights are all off right now.

I keep my macro tank around 76-77 if that helps.

Is the light white/blue or full spectrum? How much was it?

It's white and blue I believe. It was $135, with a free $16 timer, and free shipping. I felt it'd be better than what I have. By a lot. Lol.

Oh dang, not sure if yours already shipped but I have a reef breeders value I could have sold ya if you wanted full spectrum.

It's white and blue I believe. It was $135, with a free $16 timer, and free shipping. I felt it'd be better than what I have. By a lot. Lol.

Oh dang, not sure if yours already shipped but I have a reef breeders value I could have sold ya if you wanted full spectrum.

damnit.

Now I'm cross. Obviously not with you, I swear. lol. :flower:

• 2 weeks later...

WOO

So guys, even though Amazon said that I could "cancel my order since it hadn't shipped" it refused to cancel it before actually shipping it, shipped it to me, and made me ship it back. Either way, I will soon be the proud owner of this reef breeders light fixture courtesy of Tamberav!!!!!! :flower::wub: I'm so impatient and excited. I'd decided to move away from T5s because of the exorbitant cost of replacing the bulbs every 6 months or so. Gonna give this LED thing a shot.

I got a clown fish...nothing fancy and he's a cutie. He followed me back and forth in his tank at the lfs, and it was just too cute. So I got him. Floated him for 20 minutes then drip acclimated him in a bucket for about an hour. So far, so good. He eats flakes and pellets so far. Gotta get him some new frozen food, too. They need variety right? :3 He'd probably eat cyclop-eeze right?

So I got the light. Don't know where to hang it. Rather how high off the tank. And I dont what settings to put it at. So for now it's just there and not on.

So I got the light. Don't know where to hang it. Rather how high off the tank. And I dont what settings to put it at. So for now it's just there and not on.

lol oh my! Just turn it on and hold it up and whatever gives the best spread, hang it at that height, then dim just it as needed. I ended up doubling the hanging line up to shorten it.

When I first got it I just set it on two scraps of wood on top of the tank (don't drop it in!) until I could get something to hang it from.

Did the macro make it?

lol oh my! Just turn it on and hold it up and whatever gives the best spread, hang it at that height, then dim just it as needed. I ended up doubling the hanging line up to shorten it.

When I first got it I just set it on two scraps of wood on top of the tank (don't drop it in!) until I could get something to hang it from.

Did the macro make it?

I tried to do that yesterday XD I was incredibly hungover and felt like I had the flu - I still feel gross haha. so far, I attached it to the existing hanging cables that I had up, but I do need to lower it a few inches. Like 4 maybe hah.

I'm not worried about dropping it in; I do have a lid over my tank. Another thing I realized: I don't have room for timers on my surge protector and the other outlet that is open only works half the time =/ issues issues haha.

The macros did make it, I believe. Right now I have them all shoved in my 10g because something went wonky with my Edge, and it needs to be cleaned out before I can put things in it again. Not sure what happened but whatever XD Thank you for all the cool plants! Do you know what they all are? <3

Umm.. I think there was cactus caulerpa. caulerpa prolifica, red grape, blue scroll, red titan, green grape, Byrothamnion, codium, tuffed joint, ulva....

Umm.. I think there was cactus caulerpa. caulerpa prolifica, red grape, blue scroll, red titan, green grape, Byrothamnion, codium, tuffed joint, ulva....

That all sounds right! I can now put names to pieces :3 I have them kind of just in my tank still. Been so busy this weekend T_T I love all of em though! I still need to mess with the light to see what settings to have it at as well...on lower settings it just looks purple. Also gotta figure out where to put the timers bleh.

Archived