ReefCleaners.org

Nic's life's a beach Edge

andi.rahl

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This tank is really looking good. :) The natural 'ocean shore' looks really cool! I really love tanks that are made from things/inverts/animals you can actually find yourself! Great job! W-
Thank you! I'm doing my best even though I definitely have things I wouldn't find just off the beach in there. :P it's so fun to watch. :D I'm glad you liked it.
Did you get a new doggy? I added some white hermit crabs to my coral order :o
I did! Well, I pick her up Tuesday morning! She's getting spayed tomorrow morning. I'm thinking of naming her Taryn or Rhea. Oh awesome! I will have to check out your thread later this week. The white ones are so cute.

Looks awesome. I have a 10g myself, always interesting to see what other people do with the similar tank! :)
are you going to do a thread for it? :)

Pretty dog!!!! I love the markings! She has sort of a 2-face thing going on.

My white hermits arrived today. They are big and hilarious... they remind me of fiddler crabs. They have 1 huge claw and 1 tiny one and they can RUN SO FAST... :blink:

I just saw one jump like 3 inches vertical when a fish spooked it. :eek:

Pretty dog!!!! I love the markings! She has sort of a 2-face thing going on.

My white hermits arrived today. They are big and hilarious... they remind me of fiddler crabs. They have 1 huge claw and 1 tiny one and they can RUN SO FAST... :blink:

I just saw one jump like 3 inches vertical when a fish spooked it. :eek:

thank you! yeah she does...didn't really think of that. I had a tortie cat that had a similar two-face thing going on, too. I guess I have a thing for that? lol. she's an exhausted doggie now! She's sleeping by me.

oh my god, they're such spazy things! I scared mine and it went flailing, arms waving off, over the edge of a rock. I about died laughing, and their quickness is also amusing. so you like em? I wish I had more.

bahaha, I can imagine that! they spook easily at first.

when I can find the pics of the crab I yanked out of my tank earlier, I will post them. He's now in the edge with the plants and rocks. so that makes 2 crabs that I don't want anywhere near my coral :P

I do like them! They are way more "hyper" than any other hermit I have had. My husband declared them off-limits for mantis food because they are such spaz's. Any other hermit I have disturbed will just go in its shell but these guys take off running.. so crazy.

I'm such a copy cat... :happy: 1st your caulerpa prolifera and now had to have one of your white hermits lol

I was going to get a fancy Halloween hermits and polka dot ones but they wanted $10 for a single hermit. :furious: I think these white ones are better. More personality. When researching them I found a old post from 2011 and Kat had one and described them as "on crack" lol

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/283524-white-hermit-crab-any-info/

Here is mine giving me the stink-eye. lol

http://s74.photobucket.com/user/Tamberav/media/whitehermit2_zpsed0ca32b.jpg.html'>whitehermit2_zpsed0ca32b.jpg

I do like them! They are way more "hyper" than any other hermit I have had. My husband declared them off-limits for mantis food because they are such spaz's. Any other hermit I have disturbed will just go in its shell but these guys take off running.. so crazy.

I'm such a copy cat... :happy: 1st your caulerpa prolifera and now had to have one of your white hermits lol

I was going to get a fancy Halloween hermits and polka dot ones but they wanted $10 for a single hermit. :furious: I think these white ones are better. More personality. When researching them I found a old post from 2011 and Kat had one and described them as "on crack" lol

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/283524-white-hermit-crab-any-info/

Here is mine giving me the stink-eye. lol

oh I didn't know you got caulerpa prolifera too xD I love that stuff. I love the white ones and I'm glad I get to watch mine grow up! lol.

her post was actually what convinced me he was safe to put in the tank. I found it when searching for "white hermit crabs" or something like that.

bahaha yours is so big! mine's still a tiny little thing.

• 3 weeks later...

I have similar temperate hermits by me. My mantis went crazy for them I think because te actually tried getting away and putting up a fight.

They*

Nice tank! I like the macro algaes!

Do you have any up close pics of the tunicates? Oh, and how do you like the mole crab?

thanks so much! I just tossed out most of the big red macro because it was only serving to trap detritus and be a home for hair algae. I kept parts of it because they had feathery worms on them.

Unfortunately I woke up to cyano a few days ago, and the tunicates seem to have died (I had pinkish orange ones and purple but don't see either of them now) i think. I don't see them anymore :( If they pop back up, I'll try to get closer pics, but they look like honeycombs (the cereal). I love the mole crabs but I don't think they get enough food in my tank. :(

Oh and to go back to the feather worms, when I was pulling off the pieces with their tubes on it, one of the worms swam out of the tube then proceeded to land on my finger. It was amazing! I got him to crawl off my finger and onto one of the halimeda leaves. <3 that made my day.

I have similar temperate hermits by me. My mantis went crazy for them I think because te actually tried getting away and putting up a fight.

They*

haha, yeah. I bet he/she loved them for that. what kind of mantis is it?

any thoughts on the hair algae/cyano, guys? It's driving me mad.

• 2 weeks later...

So my favorite lfs caught on fire a few hours ago, not sure what survived or when/if they'll open again. It's heartbreaking to hear about - they've been around for as long as I can remember. I hope they can fix everything and open again one day.

and in tank news: I still have a bit of cyano, my light fell and scared the hell out of me around 5 am, and my purple gorg frags are losing their flesh. I'm very sad about that, I wanted them to get better and grow, not decline and lose flesh. I'm sure they'll die soon. I have no idea why my light fell because the anchors are still in the ceiling, but luckily it didn't break or anything.

I've been dealing with tonsillitis and migraines the past few weeks, I've lost 5 pounds, and I really, really, really want to eat something :( I barely managed to swallow some mashed potatoes Sunday morning and they made me vomit. So I guess I'm sticking to tea and water still. *sigh* (I didn't even have xmas or new years.) On that note, I hope everyone here had some decent holidays!

http://s1289.photobucket.com/user/shinynic/media/IMAG1933_zps570b3051.jpg.html'>IMAG1933_zps570b3051.jpg

this has since moved onto a leaf of my halimeda:

http://s1289.photobucket.com/user/shinynic/media/IMAG1907_zps931b6bf4.jpg.html'>IMAG1907_zps931b6bf4.jpg

so apparently the BRAT diet isn't a good idea when you have really swollen tonsils. I couldn't keep down less than half a cup of prepared rice, and that tore up my throat. At least I've been keeping liquids down, right?

So with the lfs that I frequent being burnt down, I am at a complete loss as to where to get my coral from. I don't want to order online because the price of shipping is absurd even for in-state priority shipping. I hate spending more than $5 so the thought of spending $20-30+ seems really out of the question. I guess I might one day get up the courage to order from KP or FragJunky, but it's just not on my list of things to do right now. $20+ is a lot to me right now with the dog and cat needing food and so on.

Sorry to hear about you being so sick. :( If you can only keep down fluids get some Pedialyte...it's made for babies but works great when sick....even though it doesn't taste the best. lol

Sorry to hear about you being so sick. :( If you can only keep down fluids get some Pedialyte...it's made for babies but works great when sick....even though it doesn't taste the best. lol

Thank you. Depends on what's in Pedialyte. :/ I went vegan just before (like the day before lol) getting sick...So I'm having a hard time finding things that are comforting and helpful. I've pretty much been living off of herbal and green teas, and laying on a heating pad constantly >.<

• 4 months later...

This is the tank right now.

IMAG3068_zpswelwafrb.jpg

Xenia finally decided to split and attach to glass; Duncan is king of the tank; add a few new things and moved a couple of rocks. Nothing exciting. I missed the coral convention in April because I forgot about it and spent my money on something else OOPS lol. I like my light fixture, but I need to get different bulbs. My coral are looking bland and my chalice is very light then white near the edges. Not sure what's going on there.

I got this but don't know what it is so any help would be great:

IMAG3067_zpswniljz1s.jpg

It has longer pe since this photo was taken the other day, though. I completely forgot to ask what it was or how to care for it when I bought it (it was $1 lol).

well hello stranger.. tanks not lookin half bad.

Hey! Thanks, Mike, it has a tad more of a scape than it did before, I think. lol.

Also, I want my lfs back :/ I hope they re-open soon....

Do you know what that little piece of coral is?

Hey! Thanks, Mike, it has a tad more of a scape than it did before, I think. lol.

Also, I want my lfs back :/ I hope they re-open soon....

Do you know what that little piece of coral is?

it does.. and more stuff.. and things are alive :)

No clue what it is.

I do need to check with Rich to see how long it will be till he reopens. If the new shop is where I think it is, it's only like 1 min from work. This is very, very, VERY, dangerous.

it does.. and more stuff.. and things are alive :)

No clue what it is.

I do need to check with Rich to see how long it will be till he reopens. If the new shop is where I think it is, it's only like 1 min from work. This is very, very, VERY, dangerous.

I weeded out a whole bunch of the halimeda and caulerpa before I took that pic too XD it was kind of overgrown because I got lazy - though not lazy with maintenance. Not sure what happened in my tank but a lot of my coralline went white/yellow. Hope it comes back soon! I miss the purple. XD

oh well.

Where do you think it is? (PM me?) I really need them to open because they're like the only lfs that understands that I don't have a lot of spare money but like to add small things to my tank every once in a while. Rich has been great >.< I miss him and the store. it's been too long - I hadn't been in since before like Thanksgiving and I'd intended to go into the store actually the day I saw the news :/

I weeded out a whole bunch of the halimeda and caulerpa before I took that pic too XD it was kind of overgrown because I got lazy - though not lazy with maintenance. Not sure what happened in my tank but a lot of my coralline went white/yellow. Hope it comes back soon! I miss the purple. XD

oh well.

Where do you think it is? (PM me?) I really need them to open because they're like the only lfs that understands that I don't have a lot of spare money but like to add small things to my tank every once in a while. Rich has been great >.< I miss him and the store. it's been too long - I hadn't been in since before like Thanksgiving and I'd intended to go into the store actually the day I saw the news :/

I don't have much coralline growing in my nano either, but everything else is.. I am lazy on the maintenance.

Hopefully the nub will grow into something a bit bigger.

It's gonna be on metro somewhere.. not exactly sure but there's some available retail just south of chicos and just across the street. Both of those plazas are really close to work.

I don't have much coralline growing in my nano either, but everything else is.. I am lazy on the maintenance.

Hopefully the nub will grow into something a bit bigger.

It's gonna be on metro somewhere.. not exactly sure but there's some available retail just south of chicos and just across the street. Both of those plazas are really close to work.

I had 2 rocks that were nearly solid purple. Also I just remembered why the purple is gone. I treated some stubborn gha with a baking soda/peroxide mix a while back. The coralline is just taking its time coming back I suppose.

Oh I know exactly where you're talking about. I live in Camelot so that's not too far away.

Also, I just changed out one of my 10k daylights for an Ocean Sun bulb and I like it a lot better already. I picked up 4 bulbs at a garage sale for a couple of dollars over the weekend.

Hi Tam!

I have 2 on a rock, 3 in the sand, and 1 w/baby on another rock. I'm having issues with my lighting. I have 100w in total, I believe, but I'm having a hard time with determining if something is getting too much or too little light. My Duncan has been the same color since I got him and put him in my tank - a pinkish color, the 2 zoas on my rock turn from orange and green to red and green, and my chalice which was blue and green is now red and green (eyes are green). I've tried raising and lowering the light, I raised the chalice up for a few days no change, I tried shading him, and no change. I don't generally have much luck with z/p's, by the way. They tend to want to melt away on me.

What do I do, guys? :(

There you are ;) Tank is looking good! Do you have any zoa's in there?

Archived