Top Shelf Aquatics

Made in Africa - A Shallow Reef

4x5

New Additions;

blue_tipped_acro_001.jpg

This acro is extremely bright.

yuma_001.jpg

And this little guy I thought was pretty cute.

Man I should've stopped in an LFS while I was there. You've got some awesome finds!

• Like 1

Table Acro Update;

So I thought this was pretty cool. The top shot was taken about 2 weeks ago when I first put the Acro into the tank. Bottom one was taken tonight to compare - polyp extension has improved a lot and it's amazing to see how the tips have heeled in such a short period of time.

table_acro_2weeks.jpg

• Like 13

Man I should've stopped in an LFS while I was there. You've got some awesome finds!

This guy works out of his house but he has the best (and cheapest) coral in town. Our LFSs aren't very glamourous for the most part. :lol:

• Like 2
bpounds1991

Let me just say...I'm so jealous of the corals you get from your LFS's! We went to one not even 2 miles from my house today..mushroom rocks with 3-4 mushrooms on them were 70$ as well as toadstools and hammer corals that weren't even 2" in diameter, needless to say I won't ever buy from there and the only other close store is 25 minutes away. You got it made :PB)

snailflipper

They're just normal cupboard door clips, I wanted to go with magnets (which I'd suggest) but I couldn't find any so I gave up - it's one of the things on my list to improve.

I figured I would post this here so you could see what your knowledge helped accomplish! :D Due to the molding I decided to use the cupboard door clips like you instead of the magnets.

post-84524-0-26153600-1401500595_thumb.jpg

post-84524-0-72004900-1401500597_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I figured I would post this here so you could see what your knowledge helped accomplish! :D Due to the molding I decided to use the cupboard door clips like you instead of the magnets.

Looking good, I really like the colour. What are the dimensions of the tank?

Let me just say...I'm so jealous of the corals you get from your LFS's! We went to one not even 2 miles from my house today..mushroom rocks with 3-4 mushrooms on them were 70$ as well as toadstools and hammer corals that weren't even 2" in diameter, needless to say I won't ever buy from there and the only other close store is 25 minutes away. You got it made :PB)

You know, I think it's tough to find a place one likes unless you live near some of the major fish/coral stores. If I was you I'd try some of the online stores (I'm assuming you're from the US, if not I apologize) from the sponsors here. I'd love to get my hands on the candy that they deliver to your door. :scarry:

BTA Change of Address;

My BTA has grown pretty big over the past while and with it living on the same rock as all my favourite Acropora I decided I didn't like that risk. It's stung one of my Secale Acropora frags for quite some time now but the frag was growing well regardless, however, this morning it was extending to within about 2cm of my tabling Acropora so I decided that it was time to move it before I wake up crying one morning.

30 minutes of blasting it with a powerhead and a few arm spasms later it wasn't budging so I had to take out the whole island, Acros and all and break out the hammer Jeremy Clarkson style. Needless to say it wasn't my favourite experience so far with the tank.

There is a change in rock work and I actually prefer it but my Royal Gramma is probably pissed that I ruined all his tunnels. The anemone is now safely away from all my Acros. I'll keep an eye on it and perhaps sell it at some point for peace of mind.

Making the tank angry with changes never gets less stressful does it. :lol:

ETA: Grumpy pants found his anemone again and is chilling.

porcelain_crab_002.jpg

• Like 4
snailflipper

Looking good, I really like the colour. What are the dimensions of the tank?

18"x18"x19" I believe but I made the stand a little larger to fit 2 10 gallon tanks underneath.

• Like 1

oh wow. look forward to the scape.

There's no major change to the scape to be honest, the back rock is now more of an overhang than one big rock and I've moved a smaller rock into that area to create a nice little area. I'll get some posts up at some point but really no big change. :)

18"x18"x19" I believe but I made the stand a little larger to fit 2 10 gallon tanks underneath.

Sounds great, fire up a build thread so we can follow along. :)

Ah man this is incredible... as usual!! B)

Thanks man.

The gang being cool;

left_front_june_01.jpg

• Like 10
snailflipper

Sounds great, fire up a build thread so we can follow along. :)

I'll do my best. I love those clowns too! probably steal those for my tank as well! :naughtydance:

Arkayology

Table Acro Update;

So I thought this was pretty cool. The top shot was taken about 2 weeks ago when I first put the Acro into the tank. Bottom one was taken tonight to compare - polyp extension has improved a lot and it's amazing to see how the tips have heeled in such a short period of time.

table_acro_2weeks.jpg

That change in color is great on this. It has such a nice, healthy looking purple now. I bet it continues to look better and better under your care.

The whole craft scene is starting to take off here which is great, finally we're starting to produce some good beers. Don't get me wrong, I'll drink the big brewery beers if need be, but gradually they are becoming worse and more mass produced. ;)

These guys have some good stuff - http://devilspeakbrewing.co.za/ and http://www.darlingbrew.co.za/

Every time I make it over to the North America I make sure I have a Rogue Dead Guy Ale, it's my favourite beer.

This...so this.

Love your scape, and going to use it as a reference when planning my IM 16 build.

The gang looks cool all hanging out and it already looks so colorful. Nice pic w/ foreground and background.

Thanks. It's getting there. :)

I'll do my best. I love those clowns too! probably steal those for my tank as well! :naughtydance:

These clowns of mine are hilarious, they're in love with the glass cleaner instead of the BTA. :lol:

That change in color is great on this. It has such a nice, healthy looking purple now. I bet it continues to look better and better under your care.

Thanks man. Things have been really stable the last while and everything is responding well.

This...so this.

Love your scape, and going to use it as a reference when planning my IM 16 build.

Thanks and looking forward to the new build.

Montipora back on track;

I'm excited to say that the colour is back and growth has restarted on the Monti. When things are stable it grows unbelievably well but as soon as something is off it get's mad. :lol:

monti_013.jpg

• Like 3

Damn, love that monti. I have to start dosing, I can't keep up with water changes anymore :(.

Me too, I'm glad it's making a comeback. I bought a Marine Magic doser, it's low tech but does the job.

• Like 2

Me too, I'm glad it's making a comeback. I bought a Marine Magic doser, it's low tech but does the job.

The same doser I am looking at, can't afford it right now so I just ordered some of the liquid Seachem additives to manually dose until I get some spare cash.

• Like 1