Coral Vue Hydros

CustomAquariums 25g SPS cube

CustomAquariumBx

CustomAquariumBx

IMAG2388.jpg

Finally got the bushings for the return pump suspension system. Gotta do some fitting and measuring of the pump and plumbing when I get home today.

CustomAquariumBx

Started some of the mock up plumbing last night. Debating on whether or not I'll be using flex pvc. I still have to drill the holes for the bulkheads into the sump/stand.

IMAG2391.jpg

IMAG2392.jpg

Looks great, very clean, can't wait to see it all done!

As a note on the Catalina Goby...they are more of a temperate fish and generally need lower temps (60-70F) than most tropical reefs we run.

Looks great, very clean, can't wait to see it all done!

As a note on the Catalina Goby...they are more of a temperate fish and generally need lower temps (60-70F) than most tropical reefs we run.

70 degrees is actually a little high for them and would still have a hard time, usually 60-65 degrees is what they need to thrive.

Great looking build so far!

Mr. Microscope

Will a single mp10 suffice? I'm going to need some decent flow for the sps.

Yes, that should be fine. I also have a 25 gallon cube with one MP10 and SPS.

Your build is really cool! I have two points of concern.

First, are you planning to paint the plumbing. Since everything is visible, I'd strongly suggest doing so. Second, not to derail your whole concept, but do you think the acrylic will actually be strong enough to support the weight of the cube on top? It's going to be like 250-300lbs. up there.

Following!

CustomAquariumBx

Yes, that should be fine. I also have a 25 gallon cube with one MP10 and SPS.

Your build is really cool! I have two points of concern.

First, are you planning to paint the plumbing. Since everything is visible, I'd strongly suggest doing so. Second, not to derail your whole concept, but do you think the acrylic will actually be strong enough to support the weight of the cube on top? It's going to be like 250-300lbs. up there.

Following!

Thanks! Yea I was considering painting the glass itself to hide plumbing but decided might as well make everything visible. The original idea of this system was to showcase a modern reef tank in it's entirety. Cleanly! And as far as the stand holding the weight I'm pretty confident it'll hold up well. "Clear-for-life" has been making stands out of acrylic for quite some time now and I've personally seen them hold. Their standard 20g acrylic stand is made of 3/8" acrylic. I went with 1/2". Just for my own piece of mind lol. The stands they make for 75g tanks are made out of 1/2" as well. Only difference is mine is completely clear and will have a front door, integrated sump, a shelf for my ato storage and my 2 part dosing storage tanks.

Here's a link and you can check them out,

They do some quality work.

http://www.marinedepot.com/Clear_for_Life_Black_Acrylic_Cabinet_Aquarium_Stand_Acrylic_(Heavy)-Clear_For_Life-AT6231-FIAQCSAA-vi.html

http://www.petstore.com/clearforlife-black-acrylic-cabinet-stand-for-20-gallon-24in-x-13in-x-30in-aquarium

• Like 1
CustomAquariumBx

Drilled the holes for the 1" bulkheads into the sump/stand to the refugium and skimmer section last night. Turns out 1/2" thick acrylic is a real P.I.T.A to drill without it melting. Took some pics of the drilling......

IMAG2401.jpg

IMAG2402.jpg

Then it really started to get hot and melt so I needed to use water to keep it cool.

IMAG2404.jpg

IMAG2405.jpg

Came out pretty good just took some time. More than glass would've!

IMAG2406.jpg

IMAG2409.jpg

Then on to some plumbing again.....

IMAG2411.jpg

IMAG2413.jpg

IMAG2414.jpg

Should start the plumbing for the return soon just waiting on a check valve and one more 1" bulkhead.

Cool! Good to know it'll be secure. Good luck!

Thanks Mr. Microscope!

• Like 4
CustomAquariumBx

this is going to look so cool. can`t wait to see going.

Thanks yea me too! I hope I can find room for the Christmas tree, if not then I may have to wait till after the holidays to get her running! :(

freaking sweet!!

Lol thanx!

Looks like Christmas came a little early for me and I got my apex controller, cobalt aquatics neo-therm 100watt digital heater, 1" check valve and some 1/4" water line bulkheads for my ato storage tank that I still need to build out of acrylic.

IMAG2459.jpg

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
CustomAquariumBx

Haven't posted and build updates in a while now. Been working my a$$ of between working overtime at work and headgaskets on my Subaru I haven't really been able to do much on the tank. But all is well now and I've been able to do a lil here and there so here's a photo dump of what I've gotten done since the last update.

IMAG2581.jpg Fitting the tank in the corner where she'll sit permanently. Next to it is my temporary tank which will be moved and end up as the QT tank.

IMAG2584.jpg

IMAG2588.jpg Damn that 20w led flood light for the refugium is bright!

IMAG2597.jpg Couldn't wait to see what it would look like with a lil light on it!

IMAG2619.jpg Fitting the return plumbing, the "T" will be for the chiller if necessary. The check valve will help the sump from filling up too much when I shut the return down.

IMAG2620.jpg The diablo Dc pump is mounted with bushings and nylon screws to it's base. Hopefully it will keep vibrations to a minimum!

IMAG2623.jpg Set up the Apex controller on the QT tank to get some practice with the programming. I'm gonna need it for what I have planned lol

IMAG2624.jpg

IMAG2626.jpg Everything fits well in the corner so I'll drill the sump at the height for the pump with the bushings.

IMAG2645.jpg Got some goodies! Here's the stuff I've been waiting for to make my auto water change system. Told you I'd need practice with the programming! ;)

IMAG2646.jpg The solenoid valves I'll be using for the auto water change system.

IMAG2648.jpg Neptunes breakout box to make float switch wiring easier.

• Like 3
CustomAquariumBx
This looks awesome!

Thanks skyscraper2290!

I was doing a little reading today and found that the inlet and outlets of the DC 5500 are actually 1.25" mpt and not very good for using the inside as a slip. So I guess I'll be making a trip to home depot tomorrow after work. Can't go today because I'm stuck doing another double at work on a Sunday. AGAIN!! Smh!!

CustomAquariumBx

Did a lil playing with the rock the other day and forgot to post pics. I'm going with a nice bonsai type scape. I had some serious design influences from crazy4acros tank on reef central. That has got to be one of the most beautiful reefs I've ever seen. So let me know what u guys think!

IMAG2072.jpg .....don't mind the beer on the counter! ;)

IMAG2071.jpg

IMAG2034.jpg

• Like 2
CustomAquariumBx

Ok so I tried to find a 1.25" FPT to 1" slip reducer for the return pump at home depot and it didn't go too well. The Home Depot in Bronx NY stinks! So it looks like I'll have to reduce it after with a bushing. I also found some nylon thumb screws with the correct thread pitch to mount my refugium light to the refugium cover.

IMAG2655-1.jpg

IMAG2654.jpg

IMAG2656.jpg

IMAG2657.jpg

CustomAquariumBx

I hope that acrylic glass stand is sturdy enough....25g is pretty heavy ahah, scares me.

Lmao yea first time I personally saw one supporting a 30g I thought I was gonna need my wet socks! It was only 3/8" thick black acrylic, and held up surprisingly well! And with the added benefit of being completely water proof and customizable. I've seen one beautifully done on a freshwater planted tank a while back that was amazing not sure where I found it but here's some pics I saved of it: 551664_233284450122443_100003226694174_4

301786_233284953455726_1368368063_n.jpg

Being that I've worked with acrylic for years now I just had to try it myself, so I opted for 1/2" cell cast just to be safe and made the sump built in. Ever tried to crack a piece of acrylic? Not very easy, it flex's but won't crack easily. I built in support beams into the upper panel, mid section shelf and of coarse the sump area to prevent it from shifting in any direction. I've load tested it and it was pretty sturdy, but for the long run I need to make sure it's completely level to evenly distribute the load to prevent any kind of shear loads/tension.

• Like 2