Coral Vue Hydros

pics with my Nikon p90

slowngreen

Thanks! Im not real sure, I was having trouble before but now I can zoom in about half the width of the tank holding right against the glass and it will focus, I just keep bumping zoom till its just out of focus, back up once and take it.

I do think Im just going to stick with point and shoot for now. Ive never used a dslr but Ive enjoyed using point and shoots.

I took these with my nikon l110 of scaler rc's I built over the last several years.

016-13.jpg

010-12.jpg

016-14.jpg

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...

Its not a camera I can change lenses on its just a higher end? point and shoot.

NikonP90_front_left_450pix.jpg

Wow... I have one of the L120's (its one of the "super zooms", think its like 30x zoom, looks very similar) and can't take tank pics worth a damn. I was impressed when I thought you were using a DSLR but now I'm blown away lol

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

That camera probably has a setting to capture a custom white balance aswell. My favorite method is to set it to custom and then snap a photo of a miletta coffee filter filling the frame under your tanks lighting. This will most likely give the most accurate representation of what color light you are using aswell if you want pics that let your coral colors really pop. Great pictures btw your focusing is pretty damn on the money aswell and the camera for an auto renders a surprisingly good depth of field for such close macros.

• Like 1

Thanks^^^

Not a great pic but I find these plates fascinating.

034-4.jpg

Not a great pic? Yeah you're right, its a ####ing awesome pic.... especially for not shooting with a DSLR and dedicated macro lens.

• Like 1

That camera probably has a setting to capture a custom white balance aswell. My favorite method is to set it to custom and then snap a photo of a miletta coffee filter filling the frame under your tanks lighting. .

All my recent pics are with the custom white balance actually.

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

I have my camera forsale if anyone is interested. $140 shipped, comes with case, charger, 2 batts, sd card, micro tripod. (no usb cable).

• 3 years later...
8 hours ago, slowngreen said:

Anyone else want to look and tell me if I'm correct?

Without combing the reviews, the specs do look better.  And the 40x optical zoom provides a distinct advantage over phone cameras.  Some cameras offer so little over a modern smart phone, that you tend not to bring them with you.  Unfortunately you can't buy an inexpensive point and shoot camera with a big zoom and large sensor.

I see that you can pick one up for about $225.  For that price, it would be hard to get into a newer DSLR (or mirrorless) with comparable zoom lenses; although the sensor sizes would be much larger.  Knowing what your P90 is like, I feel that you know what you are buying and think it would be a nice upgrade.

Things that really jumped out were the better screen resolution, optical zoom, and video resolution.  However, consider that you would also be losing the manual focus and time lapse features.

• Like 1

Those are nie pics. The white balance looks really good.

Are you turning powerheads off or turning blue lights off?

I cant get close to that white balance even with my advance dslr under 18k lights

Edit. Just went downstairs to play with whitebalance again. Thinkni figured it out. Thanks for the motivation

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, slowngreen said:

I don't have this camera any more. Was a good point and shoot though, should have kept it.

Oh lol. Still glad i saw this thread though, made me take another look at white bakance settings. Here i always thought it only went up to 10000k and still couldnt get all the blue out in lightroom with loosing quality. So i tried again with some new settings and got this

https://youtu.be/BG9NVCW2d-g

• Like 1
1 minute ago, slowngreen said:

Have you set the white balance up by shooting at something white under your aquarium lights?

Sorta, used a whiter peice of live rock. I need a plastic grey card

Found a white oxy clean lid.  Two minor problems whith it. One it floats, and two the led lighting kinda puts different colored ligth strikes on it so i really had to zoom in and still had to make some minor wb corrections

• 3 months later...
On 10/1/2017 at 5:23 AM, seabass said:

Without combing the reviews, the specs do look better.  And the 40x optical zoom provides a distinct advantage over phone cameras.  Some cameras offer so little over a modern smart phone, that you tend not to bring them with you.  Unfortunately you can't buy an inexpensive point and shoot camera with a big zoom and large sensor.

I see that you can pick one up for about $225.  For that price, it would be hard to get into a newer DSLR (or mirrorless) with comparable zoom lenses; although the sensor sizes would be much larger.  Knowing what your P90 is like, I feel that you know what you are buying and think it would be a nice upgrade.

Things that really jumped out were the better screen resolution, optical zoom, and video resolution.  However, consider that you would also be losing the manual focus and time lapse features.

Think I'm going to start looking at these again. Since there seems to be no good apps for my current android phone that lets me get any where near what my tank actually looks like.  Once I got the p90 figured out, there was nothing to it, set it up, shoot, upload and done. 

The p90 can be had for under $100 now too, that helps.

• Like 1