Top Shelf Aquatics

Vortech MP10WES vs. Jebao WP25 in 24G cube?

Sailfish

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes it is.

I remember being very worried when I first got mine, but it settled in and that grinding noise went away. Just be sure you have it aligned, and be sure the wet side is rotating freely. Register your product, dig the 2 free issues of Coral magazine, and if it stays loud contact them and they will send you a new unit. Set it to green (constant speed) mode and align it while at full speed.

Ever stuck your hands in front of an MP10 and another powerhead inside the water? My Hydors shoot what I can only describe as a straight jet of water. With my hand in front of my MP series pumps, it is turbulent and somehow wider than the other powerheads. All the Jabeo does is shoot a super hard jet of water, that's all that is impressive about it. If the only reason I was using a powerhead was to shoot a straight stream of water I would hook up a water hose, rubber band the nozzle open, shove it into my tank, and let it go to town,lol. If it was impressive that something could shoot water really hard one way,people wouldn't be spending money on lock-line, swivel heads, and other devices to vary the flow in their tank,lol.

Jabeo did one thing, made a pump with a REALLY powerful motor. Not really ground breaking to me. The settings on their controllers mediocre and there is absolutely NOTHING exciting about any piece of equipment that can blow water out of my tank. What if your 75.00 pump or its controller malfunction while you are gone for the day? It splashes water all over your house?lol.. :rolleyes: When Jabeo's new pumps last for several years with no problems, then we can talk. They are simply to new for anyone to be able to beat Ecotech in the face with them. Heck, people have only been able to buy them for a few months.....hardly enough time to claim victory.....

Steens, get off whatever you're on. Different pumps for different applications. The WP25 is not an MP10. At this point you're wanting to have an argument, but no one is willing. I have both an MP10 and WP25 in my 40, I like both, so? IMO the WP25 does not compete with an MP10, even though they named it as if it does. What the WP25 does is blow away the other crazy priced pumps that cost more, perform less, and it adds a cheap controller.

The only victory is choice. A pump cannot win, that's high school mentality.

I'm sure part of the cost of the MP10 is due to warranty support. Cooling is always going to be an issue, so wear and tear will be a problem. You get what you pay for. :)

I remember being very worried when I first got mine, but it settled in and that grinding noise went away. Just be sure you have it aligned, and be sure the wet side is rotating freely. Register your product, dig the 2 free issues of Coral magazine, and if it stays loud contact them and they will send you a new unit. Set it to green (constant speed) mode and align it while at full speed.

You your got quiter after a week? Hmm. I'll give it a week, but I already sent an email to ecotech about it.

I have a feeling that the OP is going to go with a WP25.

More ad-hominems..... Absolutely no reason for an argument. It is a forum, the title is,"MP10WES vs. Jabeo WP25. This implies opinions should be heard, and seeing as it IS a forum, disagreeing during discussion doesn't automatically imply a fight/ argument. Attacking a person by name, that starts arguments, as in highshcool... :)

Steens, get off whatever you're on. Different pumps for different applications. The WP25 is not an MP10. At this point you're wanting to have an argument, but no one is willing. I have both an MP10 and WP25 in my 40, I like both, so? IMO the WP25 does not compete with an MP10, even though they named it as if it does. What the WP25 does is blow away the other crazy priced pumps that cost more, perform less, and it adds a cheap controller.

The only victory is choice. A pump cannot win, that's high school mentality.

I'm sure part of the cost of the MP10 is due to warranty support. Cooling is always going to be an issue, so wear and tear will be a problem. You get what you pay for. :)

Replacing the bearings inside(while unfortunately necessary) is ridiculously easy. I am sure you can buy some very high end bearings that will outlast the ones Ecotech uses. Prices for the bearings for the MP10 range from 8.00 to 40.00. At this point, with as man people as have been replacing bearings, unless a unit is fairly new, it almost isn't worth even calling tech support. Anyone know what the general consensus is on how long a powerhead SHOULD last in this hobby? I mean, people usually have a general idea on how long a product should last, and I haven't ever really heard anyone mention it on here. 1,2,3 years?

Perhaps I should shoot in that this 24G cube will be running with a sump.

How big would the return pump be for two MP10s to be set at the lowest setting?

I want the opportunity to keep SPS as well, which means 40x-50x 24G/h, right?

50/hx24G = 1,200G/h

Two MP10WES on lowest setting = 2 x 200G/h = 400G/h

Return pump = 1,200G/h - 400G/h = 800G/H

Can you calculate it like this?

Or would the Vortechs not make a big enough impact in the tank flow charcteristics, then?

You should have around a 5x turnover of your main system through your sump.

Yes it is.

If it is brand new, it needs about a week to quiet down, but they should never sound like that. Ecotech will have you wait a week, then they will send you a new one.

I am sure you can buy some very high end bearings that will outlast the ones Ecotech uses. Prices for the bearings for the MP10 range from 8.00 to 40.00.

If Ecotech used true sealed bearings (instead of shielded), this wouldn't be much of an issue. There's still the problems with lateral forces pulling on the bearings and making them wear out, but sealed would make them last much longer.

Lol at jeabo being too new, they've been around since 98 which makes them five years older than ecotech. Thus may be the product they needed to break out internationally and make them aviable competitor in the aquarium hobby. Here's where the argument should come to a head, the op claims that his mp10 is too loud and had to run it at a lower speed. Why on earth would he spend a ridiculous amount of money on another one that he'd only be able to get so little out it. Sounds like a huge waste to me. However running my jeboa in my 20L, I would not recomend using it in a small cube without using some kind of voltage restrictor. I'm running at the full 24v at the lowest possible setting and tiny fish just get blown around. I imagine it would be too much in a 24" cube.

You do NOT need 2 mp10s in this tank...

More ad-hominems..... Absolutely no reason for an argument. It is a forum, the title is,"MP10WES vs. Jabeo WP25. This implies opinions should be heard, and seeing as it IS a forum, disagreeing during discussion doesn't automatically imply a fight/ argument. Attacking a person by name, that starts arguments, as in highshcool... :)

Replacing the bearings inside(while unfortunately necessary) is ridiculously easy. I am sure you can buy some very high end bearings that will outlast the ones Ecotech uses. Prices for the bearings for the MP10 range from 8.00 to 40.00. At this point, with as man people as have been replacing bearings, unless a unit is fairly new, it almost isn't worth even calling tech support. Anyone know what the general consensus is on how long a powerhead SHOULD last in this hobby? I mean, people usually have a general idea on how long a product should last, and I haven't ever really heard anyone mention it on here. 1,2,3 years?

My one koralia has been in use since 2008. 2 koralias plus a return or filter or whatever you have give you very similar flow to a vortech from what I can see of my friends who have them if you position them right. Granted it comes down to do you want 2 pumps in the tank? I really don't mind cause one is hidden but the cost savings, no noise, and reliability make up my mind for me its like why would you make something more difficult than it has to be?

On that note replacing one with a wp25 on a really low setting might be something I do in the future.

I can hear this thing all the way to my room, even at the lowest setting. I just think it's crazy that you have to wait a week to see if the bearings wear a little so that things can quite down?

That's how these kind of bearings work, though. Just takes some time for them to break in, but yours definitely shouldn't be making that noise.

Does it make the same noise when the wet side is not attached?

That's how these kind of bearings work, though. Just takes some time for them to break in, but yours definitely shouldn't be making that noise.

Does it make the same noise when the wet side is not attached?

Yup. I tried running just the dry side for only a moment, since I have heard that it's bad for it and the noise comes from the dry side.

I have been seeing videos of brand new MP10 's and mine definitely sounds louder.

Of the four MP10s I've owned, I've only had one with a bearing issue, and it sounded just like yours. Good thing is that since yours is new it is under warranty and Ecotech will replace it for you.

Eheim > MP10 + Jebao wp25

:P

Eheim what?

Jabeo hasn't been manufacturing controllable, muti function powerheads for 8 years.....

Lol at jeabo being too new, they've been around since 98 which makes them five years older than ecotech. Thus may be the product they needed to break out internationally and make them aviable competitor in the aquarium hobby. Here's where the argument should come to a head, the op claims that his mp10 is too loud and had to run it at a lower speed. Why on earth would he spend a ridiculous amount of money on another one that he'd only be able to get so little out it. Sounds like a huge waste to me. However running my jeboa in my 20L, I would not recomend using it in a small cube without using some kind of voltage restrictor. I'm running at the full 24v at the lowest possible setting and tiny fish just get blown around. I imagine it would be too much in a 24" cube.

:huh:

Hey Ben, recommend a brand of replacement bearings for a MP-10?

Something sealed. I have some from bocabearings.com that I sitll need to install, but I think I stripped one of the screws to be able to get the dry side motor apart. Doh!

VXB has sealed bearings in the proper size, as well, and they're actually cheaper, but are chrome steel instead of stainless. Not sure if that makes a real difference, though.

Something sealed. I have some from bocabearings.com that I sitll need to install, but I think I stripped one of the screws to be able to get the dry side motor apart. Doh!

VXB has sealed bearings in the proper size, as well, and they're actually cheaper, but are chrome steel instead of stainless. Not sure if that makes a real difference, though.

I just bought an older MP10 used, has some bearing noise but it isn't to bad. For the price I couldn't pass it up. I'll check out bocabearings..... I wouldn't Imagine there to be to much of an issue between the two as they aren't submerged. Although, I suppose there could be a heat transfer difference.......

I bought a used one, too. The guy i got it from said it's maybe a 6 out of 10... but it definitely goes to 11. The bearings were so shot when I pulled them out, ugh they were terrible. The ones I put in to replace it were shielded stainless steel, just like the ones that were in there, but the pump is still loud, just the noise is a different tone. Apparently shielded bearings like that are not meant for this type of application, and sealed bearings are what is wanted.

I think that the answer to the OPs question is the WP25 would be too much for the cube unless turned down with a Voltage reducer. If the OP really wants a controllable pump, and doesn't want to shell out the cash for another MP10 he can get the Jebao. I know multiple people who have the 2nd generation pumps that they sent out, and they are all solid units so far. As mentioned earlier in this thread, are they comparable to an MP10? Not really... however, they're so cheap (and definitely quieter than even a properly aligned MP10) that if this pump lasts 3 years it would be worth it in my opinion. And looking at the product, it looks fairly well built for what you're paying... obviously customer service won't be as good, but isn't reefbreeders carrying it with a US 1 year warranty now?

Now my tank sounds like someone is stepping on a cat's tail repeatedly.

:unsure: :lol: .... I would have unplugged that thing a long time ago and just thrown in some $20 powerhead. Did you talk to ecotech about a replacement?

I don't usually count return pump flow towards water movement.

If you're not turning up the mp10's any higher than their lowest setting, you're really wasting your money. It'd be like buying a sports car, and never driving faster than 20 mph.

If you don't have a problem spending mp10 money but want something quieter, have you looked into the tunze turbelle nanostreams? They're a little less than 3" in diameter and the 6055 can flow up to 1500 gph. Theoretically, they're quieter than the mp10 because it's fully submerged. I don't have experience with them, but Tunze is known for making quality products.

If I were going the internal wavemaker route, why shouldn't I choose the Jebao WP25 over the Tunze Turbelle Nanostream 6055?

I thought that Tunze were the main competitor for Jebao, not Ecotech Marine?

You should have around a 5x turnover of your main system through your sump.

If it is brand new, it needs about a week to quiet down, but they should never sound like that. Ecotech will have you wait a week, then they will send you a new one.

If Ecotech used true sealed bearings (instead of shielded), this wouldn't be much of an issue. There's still the problems with lateral forces pulling on the bearings and making them wear out, but sealed would make them last much longer.

Why only 5x turnover?

My refugium, with an algea scrubber, will be on the oposite side of the sump than where the water comes from the DT. The refugium flow will be fed of a tee of the return line. I thought it was the refugium that shouldn't have more than 5-10x turnover?

Archived