Innovative Marine Aquariums

Vortech MP10WES vs. Jebao WP25 in 24G cube?

Sailfish

If I were going the internal wavemaker route, why shouldn't I choose the Jebao WP25 over the Tunze Turbelle Nanostream 6055?

I thought that Tunze were the main competitor for Jebao, not Ecotech Marine?

Why only 5x turnover?

My refugium, with an algea scrubber, will be on the oposite side of the sump than where the water comes from the DT. The refugium flow will be fed of a tee of the return line. I thought it was the refugium that shouldn't have more than 5-10x turnover?

I would choose the Jebao over the Tunze... only downside is you would have to find a voltage reducer. You are right, Tunze is the main competitor for Jebao... that's why they where trying to scare them off. At some point people forgot that in this thread because it turned into a pissing contest between Ecotech and Jebao.

No expert on this, but I think you only want as little flow as you need through your sump to keep it functional and quiet (depending on your drain setup). Also it makes more sense to have a slower flow through the sump if you're going to have a nice high powered wavemaker in the display.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The fuge will be fine with more flow, just don't need a ridiculous amount of turnover through the sump. No more than 5x the display volume is all that's needed.

No expert on this, but I think you only want as little flow as you need through your sump to keep it functional and quiet (depending on your drain setup). Also it makes more sense to have a slower flow through the sump if you're going to have a nice high powered powerhead in the display.

Definitely this. I used to run a Mag7 on my 80, which would have given around 450-480GPH of flow, and my tank was quiet. I sold that pump and went with a much larger Maxi-jet NJ4500, which should be delivering around 800-900GPH, and the water falling into the sump is so loud that I can't stand it, and really want my mag 7 back lol.

i've noticed zero difference in filtration capacity with the increased flow through the sump.

Yes, those will work. They are cheaper because they are chrome instead of stainless, but I'm pretty sure that doesn't really matter.

As far as the different sizes, I can't really help unfortunately. :(

Know how some 70's bands are bringing in new talent to keep the band going.

Journey

Yes

BOC

Guess what band she would be perfect for?

Just needs to lose that dubstep synth, its going to be dated tomorrow if its not already.

But is it enough when running at LOWEST setting?

You see, the whole reason why I'm considering other power heads and wavemakers is because I already have one MP10WES and think that it is too loud at only 30% :P

My mp10 runs at 70% on my 40B and it doesn't make any noise at all. I wonder if you need to replace the bearings?

I have both the wp25 and the mp10 and I love my mp10.. the wp25 is more like a hot tub jet, it is more of a strong straight flow and not wide. I am having huge problems getting it to work in my 40B because it is so strong my LPS close up even on the lowest setting.

Honestly when people say they use them in smaller tanks, I think they are freaking crazy or only use the wave setting. The random reef mode was blowing sand up in my 40B.

I would choose a mp10 over a wp25 any day. A wp25 doesn't compete, most people talking about how a wp25 is the same as a mp10 must not have owned a mp10. It is no way near the same type of flow.

I found a video of a guy that had exactly the same noise on his MP10, so ecotech replaced it for him. A few repliers had the same issue. I just have to wait for them to answer my email. I wonder if they are going to force me to wait a week. Hopefully not because there's no way this thing is going to get better.

You do NOT need 2 mp10s in this tank...

My one koralia has been in use since 2008. 2 koralias plus a return or filter or whatever you have give you very similar flow to a vortech from what I can see of my friends who have them if you position them right. Granted it comes down to do you want 2 pumps in the tank? I really don't mind cause one is hidden but the cost savings, no noise, and reliability make up my mind for me its like why would you make something more difficult than it has to be?

On that note replacing one with a wp25 on a really low setting might be something I do in the future.

I just thought I would point out.. you can't turn the wp25 down really low.. It only goes so low then shuts off. Shit is crazy strong for my 40B even on the lowest setting. I think I will have to get a different plug so I can get it to go even lower and see how it does.

I just thought I would point out.. you can't turn the wp25 down really low.. It only goes so low then shuts off. Shit is crazy strong for my 40B even on the lowest setting. I think I will have to get a different plug so I can get it to go even lower and see how it does.

They can only go down to 50%.

They can only go down to 50%.

Ahh so don't need lower voltage if I have the newer controller than? Yeah gotcha. Idk what I was thinking as I knew they only went to a certain percentage and then turned off.

50% isn't low enough.. holy crap 50% is still a jet engine. lol

Do it now before someone else snaps that up.

I don't get this whole MP-10 vs WP-25 nonsense. A tunze turbell stream versus a WP-25 is a much more accurate comparison. If we're going to compare vortechs with jaebos we might as well compare Sicce Whale to a Bubble Magus Curve 5.

Ahh so don't need lower voltage if I have the newer controller than? Yeah gotcha. Idk what I was thinking as I knew they only went to a certain percentage and then turned off.

50% isn't low enough.. holy crap 50% is still a jet engine. lol

I run my on my 40 in wave mode, uh, W1, the longest pulse so I don't have a standing wave, and I aim it slightly up to avoid blowing any rocks over. :) Second to lowest voltage, but the S1 speed setting. I have the newer controller. I posted videos in my thread of the pumps in both my 40 and 46.

Archived