Innovative Marine Aquariums

Vortech MP10WES vs. Jebao WP25 in 24G cube?

Sailfish

Just finished replacing the bearings in my used mp10 I bought. 120.00 for the used MP10 and 6.00 apiece for the bearings I believe. Can't hear it run and for under 130.00(a mere 50.00 more than the Jabeo) I have a like new MP10. Btw, shout out to jedimasterben....thanks for suggesting the bearing brand, these are saweeeeeeet. Better than stock!

post-79843-0-15438500-1380838398_thumb.jpg

post-79843-0-54824300-1380838459_thumb.jpg

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excuse me, BETTER controlability is what I mean I suppose. The forum is plauged with comments on how most the settings don't work in nanos, the sensors are junk, etc. I don't NEED a controller to have the above mentions control of my MP10. Thats the point, I can buy a slightly used MP10 for under 200.00. So, the bearings are bad, 20.00 buys new bearings and they are easy as heck to install. Now, I have a pump that is controllable in tons more ways, and less than the cost of a WP25 AND a controller... The cheapest Reef Angel is 219.00, plus the WP25 is what, 89.00? Lets not forget the extra dimmer to run it below the 50% or whatever people are having to run to decrease flow in nanos....what does that cost? Seems like a lot of products to buy and trouble for a hobby that laready requires a lot of hardware.... Some people don't have money like that. They can create all the wave patterns you listed with ONLY an MP10....

This is a strange way to look at cost.

This is a strange way to look at cost.

Absolutely not. it is the BEST way to look at cost. It has already been covered that the MP and WP are less comparible, when the WP is most similar to the TUNZE pumps. However, to humor me and others on this forum, lets evaluate this in a more simple way. Snue stated that his WP25 can EASILY replicate the same wave paterns and functions of an MP10 under the premise that he can use his ReefAngel controller. At the very inception of this idea, you have ALREADY removed ,"Easy" as you already have to take more steps to replicate MP series programming with a WP series pump. Lets look at the process to create to functions mentioned for both pumps:

EcoTech Series Pumps: Steps to Utilize the Multiple Modes Mentioned-

1. Plug in MP series pump and turn power on(a good, slightly used pump goes for ~160.00)

2. Select from one of the ALREADY programmed modes to fit your needs.

3. Select Power setting by turning dial to desired setting, press set button and walk away

*I bought my MP10 w used for 120.00 and replaced the bearings. Runs like new, I have ~130.00 in the entire thing.

Now, lets evaluate the SAME process using the information provided by Snue:

1.Plug in WP25 series pump(new cost ~90.00. Can't get one much cheaper as they are so new people command near retail for used ones at this point)

2. Buy ReefAngel contoller(219.00). Plug in and connect WP series pump

3. Program ReefAngel to perform the above mentioned functions

4. Buy dimmer/power regulator to allow WP series pump to operate at a lower speed that 50%(something MPs do out of the box)This costs what~15.00?

5. Wire,Ziptie, organize the additional 4 or so wires to not look like a rats nest

6. Pray the sensor works

7.Get angry that the ReefAngel programming needs to be tweeked more to work right

8. Maintain the belief that your now multiple points of potential failure are better than the ONE you have with an MP series pump

9. Remember you just spent 90.00+220.00+15.00 to replicate the same thing you are doing with a 130.00 product.

People complain about the MP price all day and say its crazy to spend that much money to get the same result I was told you can get for the above listed headache.... :rolleyes:

Absolutely not. it is the BEST way to look at cost. It has already been covered that the MP and WP are less comparible, when the WP is most similar to the TUNZE pumps. However, to humor me and others on this forum, lets evaluate this in a more simple way. Snue stated that his WP25 can EASILY replicate the same wave paterns and functions of an MP10 under the premise that he can use his ReefAngel controller. At the very inception of this idea, you have ALREADY removed ,"Easy" as you already have to take more steps to replicate MP series programming with a WP series pump. Lets look at the process to create to functions mentioned for both pumps:

Clearly you must be mentally retarded. If you are going to factor in the cost of a controller then why not factor in all the benefits of having a controller, Monitor PH, ORP, ATO, Remote Monitoring, Iphone/Android apps, Email Alerts, Dosing, Lighting schedules, wave pattern simulations (more than vortech offers), reminders, visual status of the entire system and so so so so so(brain fart) much more.

So take your "so over priced you had to buy it second hand", worn out bearings, vortech and shove it where the sun dont shine.

I would have to say Snue.. I think your mp10's breaking is user error. Mine is going strong and silent for 1.5 years now. Haven't had to replace anything yet. Since I have a Apex, I will look into programming the WP (I just got it so I'm a noob). I didn't know I could even do that. So thats really cool.

Snue stated that his WP25 can EASILY replicate the same wave paterns and functions of an MP10 under the premise that he can use his ReefAngel controller. At the very inception of this idea, you have ALREADY removed ,"Easy" as you already have to take more steps to replicate MP series programming with a WP series pump. Lets look at the process to create to functions mentioned for both pumps:

Easy is a matter of perspective. To him it probably is easy. It would probably be easy for me as well if I had the controller and pump to get familiar with them. But some people have trouble with things like operating a cell phone, so it probably won't be easy for them.

Also it seems that he already had the controller so in his perspective it is cheaper to do it the way he did.

In my mind it is crazy to spend that much on a powerhead. I certainly don't have that much money laying around. Hell I had to sell a tank of mine just to get the cash to build myself a new pvc overflow. I can't afford a WP either, that's why I'm using a $17 SunSun and I'm completely happy with it because it works and does it's job.

It's all a matter of perspective.

I would have to say Snue.. I think your mp10's breaking is user error. Mine is going strong and silent for 1.5 years now. Haven't had to replace anything yet. Since I have a Apex, I will look into programming the WP (I just got it so I'm a noob). I didn't know I could even do that. So thats really cool.

Yes I wish I had the same positive experience as you, ive wondered if the MP60/MP10 would have been different since apparently they have a slightly improved design over the MP40's. However I have spent a shitload of money on mine and personally dont think theyre worth it. Having used both I think the only downside to the Jebao's are aesthetics, and aesthetics are very important in a nano aquarium. Therefore I would say the vortechs are more suited (especially if you get over a year out of them without needing replacements). But, lol, aesthetics aside, Jebao takes the cake.

reefernanoman

I know that I have also contributed to this post for turning into a fiasco, but the OP must be like, SMH I only asked which pump could be better for my application. Or I wonder if the OP is enjoying it?

I need to PM thesmallerthebetter and make some of his DIY pumps for my tank....

They would #### an Ecotech in teh nastyyyy place :excl:

Jackal_Knight

not sure what pumps you talking about, post a link bro.

Also whats up with replacing S with F? been bugging the shit out of me!

BeardedReeferLLC

I'd love to see this.

Clearly you must be mentally retarded. If you are going to factor in the cost of a controller then why not factor in all the benefits of having a controller, Monitor PH, ORP, ATO, Remote Monitoring, Iphone/Android apps, Email Alerts, Dosing, Lighting schedules, wave pattern simulations (more than vortech offers), reminders, visual status of the entire system and so so so so so(brain fart) much more. So take your "so over priced you had to buy it second hand", worn out bearings, vortech and shove it where the sun dont shine.

Ad-hominems attacks are always the result of someone who has nothing better to say. I don't need to include the benifits of the controller. Chew mentioned having to reef on a budget, which was exactly what I was saying. Not everyone has a controller, or can afford one. The cost to get the same results out of a WP is ridiculous. Furthermore, I bought my one MP10 used because I knew all I needed to do was replace two extremely inexpensive bearings. When you WP breaks, and everything does at some point, how easy is it to replace bearings? I like my second hand Mp10, I didn't buy it second hand because I had to either. Please, continue to insult people because they bring good points to the table....seeing as you can't even line up the wet and dry side of an MP series pump correctly I don't feel like you have a foot to stand on insulting MY intelligence.

I'd love to see this.

Just look up 1/4 gallon sps pico reef or something like that, his DIY vortech is like the size of a nickel lol

BeardedReeferLLC

lol... just watched his videos... hahahahaahahha. bahahahaha any retard with a straw could move water like that... :lol:

cool DIY though.

Jesus christ, it's a minimal difference in price in reefing. This is like someone arguing over the cost of a $20 or $40 floor mats over a $40,000 car.

Trying to argue in the cost of a controller with an MP10 is not very smart. Hey I run all sorts of Vortechs and I have the WP25s. They serve different uses. Trying to pretend you made a smart decision on your pumps is also pretty juvenile and stupid.

Jesus christ, it's a minimal difference in price in reefing. This is like someone arguing over the cost of a $20 or $40 floor mats over a $40,000 car.

Trying to argue in the cost of a controller with an MP10 is not very smart. Hey I run all sorts of Vortechs and I have the WP25s. They serve different uses. Trying to pretend you made a smart decision on your pumps is also pretty juvenile and stupid.

I would prefer that you not use my proper name when you address me in public, Pete will do just fine. Additionally, they actually don't serve different purposes......they both are made to move water to create current. That is the PERFECT example of two things serving the SAME purpose. I don't have to pretend I made a smart decision when I bought MP series pumps. A smart decision when buying equiment,that serves the same purpose is really subjective. So, seeing as the choice was purely subjective for what I MYSELF wanted to buy, I did make a smart decission. Finally, I didn't bring the controller comment into the conversation. :lol:

Oh, and that first sentence made absolutely no sense..... but no biggie. Carry on smartly....!

Your 24g will splash water over the top instantly even at 12v. I barely had it running decently when I had my solana cube. MP10 while more expensive will be able to give you the random flow and not overflow the tank

I know that I have also contributed to this post for turning into a fiasco, but the OP must be like, SMH I only asked which pump could be better for my application. Or I wonder if the OP is enjoying it?

Actually, I am quite enjoying this discussion :happy:

Seems people have quite different opinions on this subject!

I see that most people state that the Jebao WP25 will shut off below 12V, but I have also seen here on NR that someone were driving it at 9V :huh:

Can't seem to find it right away, though <_<

Archived