Cultivated Reef

Vortech MP10WES vs. Jebao WP25 in 24G cube?

Sailfish

Hi!

I'm having some real trouble deciding between an extra Vortech MP10WES (I have one from before) and a Jebao WP25.

I had a Vortech MP10WES on my previous 8G tall cube, and while it moved a lot of water, I found it to be noisy. Even at 30%... :unsure: So, if I want to continue the Vortech route, I think I need one more when I set up my next tank, a 24G cube.

Then, I read a lot about the new Jebao wave makers. In youtube videos, it looks like the Jebao WP25 and the Vortech MP10WES are pretty similar in output. The pumps also get a lot of praise from various sources. My only concern with these pumps is the claim that the Vortech pumps provide a MUCH wider flow, than the Jebaos.

How much better would the flow characteristics in my tank be with two Vortech MP10WES on lowest setting vs. one Jebao WP25?

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was thinking about getting a Jebao WP25 for my 28g nanocube, but decided to go with the mp10 due to the size difference! The Jebao is just too big for smaller tanks IMHO.

So two MP10s could provide enough flow for this mixed reef tank, even on the lowest setting?

No, I hadn't.

This is just a regular powerhead, like Koralias, right? With the special feature of self cleaning technology?

How big is it, compared to say a Vortech MP10?

MP10 for the one fact that the WP-25 will have this thing with sand blowing all over. Too powerful for a small cube. In a 40G breeder my WP-25 is still running on the lowest setting. lol

IMHO, Jebao pumps did a few things to try and push Ecotech out....Make a pump with a ton of unidirectional flow and a few different settings, and a lower price tag. I have one problem with this, a 75.00 price tag on a Jebao,and all I read is how MP10s are no better and 4 times the price. Name one time in the history of product where something cost more than 1/4 what another product did and it was the same quality? Jebaos haven't been around long enough to prove they are reliable. Bottom line, to me they are a really fast car with tons of horsepower, made with cheap parts.....not something I want to risk. For the time and money we put into this hobby, when you buy Ecotech you know EXACLTY what you are getting all the way around.

Yeah, an overpriced product that constantly requires replacement parts and upgrades. At least my experience with mine was enough to detur me from dropping that kind of cash on another one. I can just replace the whole pump for the price of the wet side assembly. That's enough for me to make my mind up.

Yeah, an overpriced product that constantly requires replacement parts and upgrades. At least my experience with mine was enough to detur me from dropping that kind of cash on another one. I can just replace the whole pump for the price of the wet side assembly. That's enough for me to make my mind up.

Your experience is pretty unstandard...... Ecotech MP series pumps are proven to be the BENCHMARK for circulation pumps,regardless of what you say.

So two MP10s could provide enough flow for this mixed reef tank, even on the lowest setting?

No, I hadn't.

This is just a regular powerhead, like Koralias, right? With the special feature of self cleaning technology?

How big is it, compared to say a Vortech MP10?

Really really small, it might say in the comments

Your experience is pretty unstandard...... Ecotech MP series pumps are proven to be the BENCHMARK for circulation pumps,regardless of what you say.

I wouldn't say that unusual as so many people end up replacing bearings or the whole wet side which really blows.

1 MP10 should be enough for a 24 gallon.

But is it enough when running at LOWEST setting?

You see, the whole reason why I'm considering other power heads and wavemakers is because I already have one MP10WES and think that it is too loud at only 30% :P

But is it enough when running at LOWEST setting?

You see, the whole reason why I'm considering other power heads and wavemakers is because I already have one MP10WES and think that it is too loud at only 30% :P

No, one is not enough on its lowest setting, but neither is two. Both of mine are at 75% in my 26g.

Regardless of what you say, I'm trying to save the op another two hundred bucks to only run his pump at it lowest setting because he himself admits that it is not free of complication. There's other options out there and I wish you ecotech wh*res would just stop acting like every thing is just not option cause that's bullsh*t. Are your corals going to die because you got the cheaper chinese pump, probably not.

That's a novel idea. Unless one of these pumps is going to magically improve water quality or make hitherto unseen life spring forth from the depths it's pointless to argue. Each one will move water around the glass/acrylic box.

No, one is not enough on its lowest setting, but neither is two. Both of mine are at 75% in my 26g.

If that is the case, that pretty much rules out the MP10s for me. Considering I was bothered with the MP10 on 30% Reefcrest, I wouldn't dare to imagine my dissatisfaction with two of them at 75%! :(

Maybe I buy a Jebao WP25, running it at 12V, to produce wave action and run my Vortech MP10WES on lowest setting on reefcrest, to randomize the flow characteristics in the tank.

What do you guys think of that idea?

In think you should try it before you mod it.

I may have received an anomalous unit, but so far the amount of water being moved by the wp25 is overrated.

I have it in a 40breeder, and I'm not over or under whelmed.

After playing with my wp-25 for a few minutes in my 20L, I am in luff! Completly silent and the way it randomizes flow pattern I'm getting awesome coral sway in every part of my tank. Not to mention my skimmer is going crazy from how much stuff this thing has lifted off my rockwork and sandbed. I'll never buy another ecotech product again.

Glad to hear you're happy with the wp-25!

I do find it curious that your mp10 was too loud. At first, I thought that my mp10 was loud, but the noise seemed to attenuate with age. Now, my computer is louder, even when the mp10 is at 100%.

Judge never used the mp10, I had the mp20 and while I loved it beyond anything else in my tank, it just had to many complications that a product of that quality should not have come with. I was interested in the mp10 for my 20L but after seeing in action at my buddies house, I decided against it.

In think you should try it before you mod it.

I may have received an anomalous unit, but so far the amount of water being moved by the wp25 is overrated.

I have it in a 40breeder, and I'm not over or under whelmed.

On the highest voltage, highest speed, I splashed water over and out of my 40B when I had it aimed toward the waterline. Aimed straight ahead it was a complete sandstorm. I don't know what the hell you have, maybe a demo unit? Maybe a bad power supply? I cleaned 2 of my units this evening ... the ones you call flimsy. Twist to remove front, cleaned, twist back together, snap back in holster. Nothing close to flimsy. There must be a radical difference between the 1st generation units and the current ones since I can't imagine you would make this up.

Archived