Top Shelf Aquatics

Boneshaker's IM Nuvo 16

Boneshaker

Tanks looking good ... Surprised you don't have more people involved you should ask to have your thread added to the nuvo aquarium index

Ill do it for you if it's ok with you

Edit: would you look at that your the newest addition

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tanks looking good ... Surprised you don't have more people involved you should ask to have your thread added to the nuvo aquarium index

Ill do it for you if it's ok with you

Edit: would you look at that your the newest addition

It's in the Nuvo Index, and I've only had this thread going for a couple weeks now. The tank itself has only been up for a month. My thread has been getting views, just not lot of comments. I would imagine because almost everything is pretty basic stuff.

Went shopping today.. Got a few things to experiment with. I got all four of these frags really cheap, so I figured why not test it out. Hopefully my lighting is enough until I upgrade. Zoas should be fine for sure, it's the Birdsnest that I wonder about.

Mixed Zoa frag.

1374054_10201243695349445_1349922404_n.j

Acan (and the mixed zoa frag).

1374964_10201243694669428_6529553_n.jpg

Another Acan.

1381248_10201243694309419_1030365928_n.j

Tiny Green Birdsnest Coral. It's about 1 1/2" to 2 " tall.

1375211_10201243693989411_1495086794_n.j

New video: 10-03-13

FYI : It's not the best video in the world, but hey, it's a video none the less. Taken with my Motorola Photon

There's a couple spots in the video where it freezes, this happened during my upload. The upload processes paused and restarted twice.

Woke up to a Montipora eating nudibranch... *%#@*& !!! More than half the flesh of my Monti is gone overnight.

Pulled the monti frag out and did a dip followed by a short RO dip.

I've never had any SPS before, will the monti make a comeback ...??? Or is once it's dead, it's dead...???

I turned on my lights just to take the pic. What's still possibly live flesh is probably not too happy from the dips.

1377226_10201252618812526_946808537_n.jp

MOTHER - *%#@&* !!!!

72649_10201252809137284_1280016101_n.jpg

Pretty sure my Monti is toast... In the event that it is, I will still look for a place to mount the dead plate, and glue some zoa polyps onto it.

• 2 weeks later...

Added a small Yellow Watchman Goby today. Hopefully it finds the Tiger Snapping Pistol Shrimp in the next few days, and pair up.

Debating on if I want to start a thread on my Oceanic 30 Gallon Cube that I recently changed over to a reef tank from a freshwater Cichlid tank. It's been up and running for almost a month now. Not a whole lot going on in it yet, just some rocks, frags,3 blue leg hermits, my Hawaiian Strawberry Crab (moved over into it), and a Black Clownfish.

My Tiger Pistol Shrimp was working like crazy on it's burrow yesterday, after I added a Yellow Watchman Goby to be his lookout buddy.

Woke up to a Montipora eating nudibranch... *%#@*& !!! More than half the flesh of my Monti is gone overnight.

Pulled the monti frag out and did a dip followed by a short RO dip.

I've never had any SPS before, will the monti make a comeback ...??? Or is once it's dead, it's dead...???

I turned on my lights just to take the pic. What's still possibly live flesh is probably not too happy from the dips.

1377226_10201252618812526_946808537_n.jp

MOTHER - *%#@&* !!!!

72649_10201252809137284_1280016101_n.jpg

Kill it! With fire!!!

But seriously. Keep on the lookout. I've had them in my tank for a month or so, and I keep finding small ones munching on my monties. If the cap survives, I think it should be able to recover over time though. How is it doing?

Kill it! With fire!!! But seriously. Keep on the lookout. I've had them in my tank for a month or so, and I keep finding small ones munching on my monties. If the cap survives, I think it should be able to recover over time though. How is it doing?

There's no flesh left on the Monti, so it's toasted. At some point I still plan to mount the plates, because I really like the shape of it. The plan now is to glue some zoas onto the dead plate and then mount it somewhere in the scape.

• 2 weeks later...

Shut down my Fluval Spec V reef yesterday, and transferred most of the livestock over to this tank.

New to the tank are: Yellow Clown Goby, Royal Blue Tuxedo Urchin, Emerald Crab, Pom Pom Crab, Porcelain Crab, a my one eyed Blue Leg Hermit, a Turbo Snail & 2 Sexy Shrimp. Oh... and a small frag disc covered in GSP.

Ugh... found my little Yellow Clown Goby in one of my overflow baskets. Glad I found it... it was still alive too. Hopefully it learned not to go up by those again. Same goes for the two Sexy Shrimp. I need a couple small signs... "WARNING...STAY AWAY FROM THE OVERFLOWS"

Annnddddd... It happened again. Goby in the overflow basket this morning. I tried a few things to keep the Goby from getting through the overflow grates... but all of them raised the water level too high for my liking. I'll just have to fatten Goby up so it cannot get through those things.

Although it happened a few days ago... That little dang Yellow Clown Goby is down in the back by the pumps now in the overflow. I changed out the stock Nuvo pump, because it had an open impeller, for another Mini-Jet 606, until I can get the little bugger back into the main display. I guess in the mean time, I should be hunting any pods that are in the overflow.

I was able to get my litle Yellow Clown Goby and one of the two Sexy Shrimp out of the back chamber area today with a new net I purchased on Saturday. We'll see what the morning brings, and if the little Goby decides to swim back into the light or not. The right overflow opening is mostly lit up at night from the Deep Blue SolarFlare I use to light my Chaeto, in the rear chamber on the right side... Silly little Goby must like the light.

My Monti SPS is toast... Haven't glued any Zoanthids onto it yet. My Green Birdsnest doesn't seem to be doing welll now either, after showing nice growth for over a month. Dunno... puzzled.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the IM Nuvo 16 as well but haven't completely set it up yet, I did read somewhere though that people are putting a foam block behind each overflow to slow down flow rate and increase the water level, as well as blocking out creatures from getting back there!

I plan to do this in my tank as well =)

keithfullermusic

I have the IM Nuvo 16 as well but haven't completely set it up yet, I did read somewhere though that people are putting a foam block behind each overflow to slow down flow rate and increase the water level, as well as blocking out creatures from getting back there!

I plan to do this in my tank as well =)

i can't imagine wanting to reduce the flow, but you can always put a mesh net there. that is what i'm planning on doing when i get my little inverts.

Bah I guess I meant block it up a little up to increase the water level, not slow down the flow rate! Haha sorry was at work, multi-tasking sucks.

My Yellow Clown Goby is tiny... it fits thru the slots with no problem.

I've tried... black plastic mesh, modified pieces of foam, and I thought about stainless, until I realized it will rust. I used Hydor Flo rotating returns, and with the wave they make upon rotation, the water comes too close for my liking to overflowing the front of the tank. So, I decided to let the goby live in the back pump area. I have two MIni-Jet 606 pumps back there, so Goby shouldn't get into those impellers.

Other than that... I've kind of just been maintaining the tank. Nothing new has been added.

Archived