ReefCleaners.org

Chris' Reef

Chris!

sounds like a plan, IDK if i'd be bumb out or angry if my tank started leaking. just sounds shity been loving your tank sucks that this had to happen.

the stuff i had was clear slime too, showed up over night on my filter shocks would clog them every night! was starting to piss me off but it went away no idea what it was or what caused it but im happy its gone now. how long have you had yours for?

Yeah I am kinda bumbed by it, its the one thing thats been keeping me sane the last few years... atleast so far doesn't look like anything is lost other then the tank itself but I haven't started messing with equipment yet so not sure about my controller which I know took in a bit of water.

I know I have read quite a few threads lately about it popping up, no one seems to be sure of why tho. I've had it for a month or so on and off.

Sorry to hear about the tank, man, that sucks!

I sold off my last tank before I moved from MI to ILL as I didn't want to haul everything 7hrs...plus think of it this way...you can set up bigger and better once you move! omgomgomg

Yeah I keep going back and forth on if I want to sell it or try to move it..... with a wife, 2 kids, and 2 large dogs it will likely be a 24hr adventure. I have a decent plan for doing it and think I could pull it off even with the acros, but unsure if I want to. The big thing making me want to is that I have a few pieces I have never seen anywhere else that I know any other (atleast local) pieces are dead, like a pimp yellow tip deepwater 1/2" frag that is rediculously slow growing lol

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking good you running gfo

Yeah not bad til it sprung a leak lastnight...... No, I've never ran GFO, I ran carbon for a few weeks but thats it.

• 2 weeks later...

Almost makes me want to try DIY ;)

It's really not that hard to do, especially if you go solderless like I did. I am a big guy and working with all those little wires just seemed more trouble then the extra few bucks the solderless costs. As far as the actual canopy, from looking at your stand you could do it. If you have any kind of wood working skills its pretty basic.

Here is a shot from inside the canopy:

IMAG0355_zpse74630ad.jpg

Couple heatsinks, a metal frame to hold them together (I don't remember what it is actually called but I believe it was from HD in the shelving department..... but don't remember for sure sorry),a 2x4 ripped down and attached to the metal rail, a strip of 3/4" ply to hold 2/4 too, and to nail the 1/4" skin to and trim it out.... on top of the actual wooden frame there are a few pieces of 3/4" ply ripped to fit which is what my hanging chain is attached to, as well as a larger section that keeps the drivers out of sight and away from the water.

It's really not that hard to do, especially if you go solderless like I did. I am a big guy and working with all those little wires just seemed more trouble then the extra few bucks the solderless costs. As far as the actual canopy, from looking at your stand you could do it. If you have any kind of wood working skills its pretty basic.

The less I can screw up the better! I don't have any experience with electrical gizmos, but DIY seems like a great way to get more bang for my buck, though it's not necessarily cheaper.

A canopy would be no problem, I can wood work decently, but I like the cleaner look of a hanging fixture personally.

The less I can screw up the better! I don't have any experience with electrical gizmos, but DIY seems like a great way to get more bang for my buck, though it's not necessarily cheaper.

A canopy would be no problem, I can wood work decently, but I like the cleaner look of a hanging fixture personally.

Once you get looking at it and get into it its really not as overwhelming as it may seem. Just follow the diagrams and ask questions, not bad at all. I've wired whole houses before, but never done any small electronics like this but its all the same positive to positive, negative to negative.... and like I said the solderless kits are a breeze its pretty much mount them to the heatsink push in the wires and plug it in.... and you can't push the wires in wrong atleast not on the ones I've seen.

Mine is a hanging fixture really.... just designed to match my stand and room more. Is it small and sleek, no, but for my room and tank IMO it looks and fits better then any of the prebuilt fixtures would. Everyones tank and home decor is different so I would understand how it could not work for you as well tho.

Once you get looking at it and get into it its really not as overwhelming as it may seem. Just follow the diagrams and ask questions, not bad at all. I've wired whole houses before, but never done any small electronics like this but its all the same positive to positive, negative to negative.... and like I said the solderless kits are a breeze its pretty much mount them to the heatsink push in the wires and plug it in.... and you can't push the wires in wrong atleast not on the ones I've seen.

Mine is a hanging fixture really.... just designed to match my stand and room more. Is it small and sleek, no, but for my room and tank IMO it looks and fits better then any of the prebuilt fixtures would. Everyones tank and home decor is different so I would understand how it could not work for you as well tho.

I do have a shelf above the aquarium where the MH is currently hanging from. Only thing is that it's probably 2' over the tank. A little too high I think. Now that I took a second look at it, your hanging canopy is actually really cool. Looks way nicer than just the hanging fixture seeing as diy fixtures don't tend to be especially pretty.

I do have a shelf above the aquarium where the MH is currently hanging from. Only thing is that it's probably 2' over the tank. A little too high I think. Now that I took a second look at it, your hanging canopy is actually really cool. Looks way nicer than just the hanging fixture seeing as diy fixtures don't tend to be especially pretty.

Yeah my wife would have never went for a couple plain ass aluminum heatsinks hanging there. The prebuilt fixtures are quite a bit nicer, but I wanted to do something different that would look good and still be DIY.

DSCN2378_zps70480055.jpg

Here is a shot from inside the canopy:

IMAG0355_zpse74630ad.jpg

Couple heatsinks, a metal frame to hold them together (I don't remember what it is actually called but I believe it was from HD in the shelving department..... but don't remember for sure sorry),a 2x4 ripped down and attached to the metal rail, a strip of 3/4" ply to hold 2/4 too, and to nail the 1/4" skin to and trim it out.... on top of the actual wooden frame there are a few pieces of 3/4" ply ripped to fit which is what my hanging chain is attached to, as well as a larger section that keeps the drivers out of sight and away from the water.

That looks really nice! How much did the set up you had for your 180 cost you?

That looks really nice! How much did the set up you had for your 180 cost you?

I think I had roughly 900 into the set up for the 180. The only real difference was a 3rd panel. I would say each panel w/ drivers averaged around 300. It's been a couple years now, so I don't remember exactly but right around there. If I had it to do over, I would do it again tho. I liked my old t5's but the leds IMO are a nice step up..... and I am running the old school just white n blues still lol

I think I had roughly 900 into the set up for the 180. The only real difference was a 3rd panel. I would say each panel w/ drivers averaged around 300. It's been a couple years now, so I don't remember exactly but right around there. If I had it to do over, I would do it again tho. I liked my old t5's but the leds IMO are a nice step up..... and I am running the old school just white n blues still lol

Thats's the problem with upgrading lights. No matter what I decide to do, it's gonna be very expensive.

Thats's the problem with upgrading lights. No matter what I decide to do, it's gonna be very expensive.

In the long run its worth it. Compared to my bulb changes it has already paid for itself. Its also quite a bit less electricity from my old set up...

In the long run its worth it. Compared to my bulb changes it has already paid for itself. Its also quite a bit less electricity from my old set up...

That's the main reason for upgrading, the MH just sucks power.

I guess I better start saving!

That's the main reason for upgrading, the MH just sucks power.

I guess I better start saving!

For sure, definitely wouldn't hurt to look into. + aren't them MH bulbs fairly pricey, probably what 150-200+/yr.... And you can sell the old stuff to cover a little bit of the new ;)

$80 a bulb! I got the whole fixture/ballast for $100, I could probably get more than that. Maybe I will diy in the future!

x3 bulbs right...... $240/ yr.... it won't be long and you coulda had the damn thing done and paid for ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Nice to see another MI reefer on Nano-reef! Tank looks great! Sorry to hear that it started leaking though... Did you end up getting it fixed?

Yeah seems there are a few of us here :) No the tank is sitting in the garage and the fish and corals in a 100g rubbermaid waiting for me to get a chance to call and see how much glass will be to build a new better tank..... or decide to reseal this one so I don't have to build a new stand and all that crap lol

Yeah seems there are a few of us here :) No the tank is sitting in the garage and the fish and corals in a 100g rubbermaid waiting for me to get a chance to call and see how much glass will be to build a new better tank..... or decide to reseal this one so I don't have to build a new stand and all that crap lol

Sweet! Glad to here there are a few of us. Ah I see, who are you going to have build it? or are you going to have the glass cut and then build it yourself? Personally, I would just re-seal it and save the $$$$ for other stuff

Sweet! Glad to here there are a few of us. Ah I see, who are you going to have build it? or are you going to have the glass cut and then build it yourself? Personally, I would just re-seal it and save the $$$$ for other stuff

I am looking at a couple different DIY possibilities. Building my own tank is something I have been wanting to do for quite a while now, so it will depend on what its going to cost to build the tank I want for now which is basically going to be a mini version of my "ideal" tank..... the potential soon to be tank would be 4'x30-36"x 24-30"T with the "ideal" future tank being 6-8'x3-4'x24-30"T. The tank that sprung a leak was 48x18x18 which was nice, but I miss the depth and height I lost from my 180 and want to play around with something deeper to see how deep I want to go in the future...... If the price isn't horrible I will build it, if its more then I want to spend right now (for basically a temporary tank anyway) I will strip the old tank down and reseal it. I'm not in any hurry to do anything with the tanks right now tho, pretty much everything is doing fine where its at..... although I do need to do a water change fairly soon, I've been busy with other things and still haven't even done one since the switch over LOL

Archived