SaltCritters.com

75g SPS build.

CrazyEyes

I think the size of LEDs are misleading in pictures, although impressive I'm always for some reason expecting some huge monster of an LED, it's amazing to me that we are able to use them when there are still people use these big MH setups, don't get me wrong, MH looks fantastic but it's just crazy how small LEDs are.

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply
NirvanaandTool

Unfortunately the Bridgelux chips are apparently EOL and will be more difficult to get from here on out (at least the 950, the rest there are still a bunch of out there). I wonder if that means something better is coming soon. :o

Something better? Oh man. Cant wait to see what comes out.

I guess you could use the 1350 if the 950 is EOL and sells out.

Something better? Oh man. Cant wait to see what comes out.

I guess you could use the 1350 if the 950 is EOL and sells out.

Only problem is the forward voltage goes up by around 50% on the 1350 versus the 950.

That was the deciding factor for me too, I almost bought the 1350's but I don't recalled the exact figures I remember the 1350 was somewhere around 32v forward vs the 950 is 22v. I figured I didn't need the extra power from the 1350's to justify running more drivers.

NirvanaandTool

Dang didnt consider that. Maybe I need to buy the 950s just to have them before they sell out. I wont be ready to build my light for some time due to a setback (broke my left foot - long story but i'm out of commission for 6 weeks) but I guess I can compile the parts.

Man, I just realized the P/S I have is a 7.3A. My drivers together are-

Bxra 950's (2 LDD-1000's)
Luxeon M 12w RB/8 Xp-e blues (3 LDD-1000's)
Rebel cyans (1 LDD-1000)
Exotic Hyper violets (2 LDD-700)
So it comes out to 7.4A, now I probably won't run any of these at their full power anyways I wonder if I should use 700's for the Bxra's to bring the amps down to 6.8A.

I actually have all four of my BXRA on one driver - two parallel strings. Current gets cut to 500mA per string, and I actually have it turned down to around 35% peak.

So in other words, I might aswell run the 700's for the Bxra's. I can't even imagine me running them at .5A. Hell, I could probably run 500's for the Bxra string and it be plenty.

Sounds like a plan Ben, I'll just do the same thing then 4 Bxra's in two string of parallel on one LDD-1000. Still should give me more than enough light. Yeah Giga I have to agree with you.

I still need to swap out my Typhon with the 'easier' way to test the channels out, controlling a certain percent on each channel instead of all the channels at once so that I can see exactly what my PAR is for each channel (instead of just measuring PAR of all combined).

I've got two of them on hand, actually. They do allow individual control, but I mean for a 'test' option that doesn't overwrite the schedule I have programmed.

The new one from Steve's, Meepnand rewrote the code and made a 'test' option where you can ramp up individual channels on the fly, but I just haven't plugged that one in yet, mostly because I don't have an enclosure for it yet.

Damn that's actually a really good idea. I had the "typhon" controller on my last setup and really liked it so even after I sold it I bought another one from Steves, I thought about using one of the storm controllers but I just went with a typhon. Kind of curious though, how do you even go about rewriting the typhon controller? I mean aside from the actual code itself. I know with the arduino themselves they actually plug right into some sort of computer in order to edit/add the sketch but just looking at the typhon I just am unsure how this is done.

Yeah the stormX looks like a really nice controller. I like how it has 4,095 different dimming point between 0 and 100. I also really like that it controls 16 different channels. It was definitely a close call for me purchasing wise between the Storm and Typhon, only really went with the typhon because I'm familiar with it.

Why are you going with the Molex mounts?

Seems like an added but unneeded expense.

A little dab of silicone ir loctite appears to be all you need to hold the reflector on.

I know it sounds silly but, I just like the idea of using the molex connector to tie everything together, I.e the molex securing the led to the heatsink and then the reflector being held with the molex. I definitely agree with it being an unneeded expensive but it was honeslty like than $15 extra to use the molex connectors, I just need to wait for them to get here, along with a handful of other stuff anyways. If the molex connectors would be holding up the light getting finished I probably wouldn't have opted to use them but I've honestly got nothing time at this point.

Archived