Coral Vue Hydros

75g SPS build.

CrazyEyes

NirvanaandTool

What kind of glass did you order? I went smoked grey on my 40B's internal beananimal and love it. Blends right in with a black background.

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went with just regular clear glass, I thought about getting smoked glass actually but I wanted the least amount of shadows as possible.

build it faster

Im building it as fast as my bank account will let me. If I was single Id eat ramen and have it done but, can't be eating ramen everynight with a g/f lol.

Went and picked up the glass for the overflow. It's going to be 36x4x4 which should give me quite a bit of surface skimming. This is just a test fit to make sure everything fit together before I started to silicone it together.

IMG_0885_zpsb7109dea.jpg

IMG_0884_zpscdc040f1.jpg

Also went and picked up some 1/4" black starboard for the bottom of the tank. I was going to just paint the bottom of the tank but I think this will look really nice too.

IMG_0886_zpse969595a.jpg

IMG_0889_zpse500577b.jpg

Please, no hating, the two part marine epoxy that'll cure and make it a solid piece is still curing so we had to add extra rocks underneath the structure on the left. Once it's all dried and cured it won't have the piece in the middle. But here is pretty much what the aquascape is going to look like. I wanted to go pretty minimalistic for the aquascaping.

Thoughts.

http://s27.photobucket.com/user/DrftNme/media/photo_zps356f0377.jpg.html'>photo_zps356f0377.jpg

This structure turned out really nice imo.

http://s27.photobucket.com/user/DrftNme/media/photo1_zps5897079c.jpg.html'>photo1_zps5897079c.jpg

And obviously it looks weird now with rubberbands all over the place.

Picked up the hole saws for the glass tonight so I need to sack up an drill the damn thing. Ordered the acrylic for the sump, finished the aquascape, which is now curing is some established sw awaiting for me to get the tank up and running. Here is what the final product looks like. Two larger structures will be for SPS, the smaller individual piece will be for zoas or rics.

So 7 individual pieces, some marine grade 2 part epoxy, some rubber bands and a little bit of a wait and we have this. Pretty stoked with the way this came out. The 2 main structures will be for SPS and then then smaller individual rock will be for either zoas or rics. Rock is currently curing in some very well established SW while I get the rest of the tank ready to go.
http://s27.photobucket.com/user/DrftNme/media/photo2_zps5aa9d043.jpg.html'>photo2_zps5aa9d043.jpg

That's a really great looking scape. It creates a lot of interest and gives a lot of room for SPS to grow, but not bump into each other for awhile.

Thanks man, I'm pretty happy with it. I think it'll give me some good space for corals and I didn't want the tank crammed with rock, I honestly think tanks look terrible crammed with rock. The structure on the right is a little wobbly when it's on a flat surface, and since I'm not running sand I am going to wedge some under it so it doesn't rock back and forth, or like some reef epoxy. But I think it's going to look great running.

Thanks again everyone. I can finally imagine the tank up and running soon. I might pickup a Gen-x PCX30 external return pump, well MAYBE, but I know they draw a ton of watts and I hear they are not the quitest pumps around, I actually hear they're quite noisy. Seeing how this tank is going to be about 4 feet from where I work Im not sure I want a screaming loud pump. There was a LFS selling a BNIB water blaster 5000 for $100, and I literally got to the store 5 minutes too late, had I not stopped for cigarettes it would have been mine. I think I am either going to get a Jeboa DC6000 or 12000, I've heard from pretty solid reviews about them but then again, they're all fresh reviews so we'll see.

jedimasterben

had I not stopped for cigarettes it would have been mine.

One of many reasons not to smoke lol

I think I am either going to get a Jeboa DC6000 or 12000, I've heard from pretty solid reviews about them but then again, they're all fresh reviews so we'll see.

Do it. They're identical to every other DC pump that has been on the market.

Got done making the template for drilling the tank. Now I just need to actually do it, not gonna lie. I'm pretty nervous about this but I'm sure it'll be fine. Here is the overflow box with the template, just to give you and idea how it's going to look.

Tank is getting drilled tomorrow, if I all of a sudden stop posting it means I cracked the tank and I killed myself.....til later.....hopefully.

Edit: Also, since it's already getting three holes drilled for the bean animal, I might just drill the overflow box too and run it externally. We will see.

There is a guy on RC running the 12000 externally for a few months now and he stated it runs pretty cool to the touch. I was concerned with heat before because I know the Iwakis, Reeflos etc all have cooling fans on them. But then he said his runs cool. Then I've even seen like externally skimmers with like eheims, sicces etc without active cooling. Im definitely going to keep an eye on it. I also wanted to say, considering this thing only cost $110.50 shipped it feels like it's built VERY well, it's nice and heavy.

Oh and also, I couldn't believe how big of fittings I needed for the inlet and outlet. 1 1/4", had to get a couple reducer bushings. I bought 1 1/4" to 1". I might go with 1 1/4" to 3/4". I know it's frowned upon reducing the pumps inlet but that's exactly how the tunze silence/sicce syncras adjust so Im thinking it should be fine.

NirvanaandTool

Wow $110 shipped? Good deal. I'm probably going to upgrade to a DC pump after a few months and was considering one of those. Interested to see how you like it.

jedimasterben

It was actually Jebao that made the suggestion for them if running externally, can't find the thread where I saw it, but the vendor had asked Jebao directly and that was their response. I wonder if they changed something and it is more efficient now?

At about 9:50 pm I went to plumb the tank for the return plumbing, at 9:55 pm I went to cut the first piece of pvc and my godd@mn pvc cutter broke. So that means I had just enough time to drive to home depot to watch them lock up. FML, guess I'm waiting until tomorrow.

At about 9:50 pm I went to plumb the tank for the return plumbing, at 9:55 pm I went to cut the first piece of pvc and my godd@mn pvc cutter broke. So that means I had just enough time to drive to home depot to watch them lock up. FML, guess I'm waiting until tomorrow.

Yup, been there lol

Archived