SaltCritters.com

Dixie's mixed reef turned pony palace

dixie reefer

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, i use the frozen ones.

Edit: If you want to use live foods, baby brine shrimp are not hard to hatch out and will make for a nutritious treat for your fish as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I got two new ponies today. A tank upgrade is in my near future. Didn't expect to get two but i couldn't choose. Going to double up my water changes to keep the water ok.

Delilah, the bigger one, checking out the newbies.

1219131650e_zpsc6f4e76c.jpg

Updated fts: added two fake plants to make them feel more comfortable and to give them more hitching options. I usually hate fake stuff in marine aquariums but I figured I could make this temporary exception.

1222131403e_zps60e7e6c3.jpg

Nah, I'll stick with these until I get the new tank. At least these give the tank sone more color and movement. Good idea though. :)

• 2 weeks later...
dixie reefer

Found out that petco is doing their $1 per gallon sale so i went today and got a 29 and a 10(sump)! Also picked up a nano reef octopus skimmer, that is rated for 55gal, at a lfs for $80! Woo, the upgrade has officially started!

Also picked up this beauty

0102141702c_zpsee1ea746.jpg

dixie reefer

The stand is almost done! Just a little more trim then to stain and polyurethane it!

0102142236_zps998f0ce2.jpg

I'm really loving the look of the the 29. The horses get the height they need plus room to roam. I was going to get a 34 built but this saved time and a whole lot of money.

dixie reefer

I'm really stoked to get them in there. We stained the stand today. The only things left to get is a return pump, the plumbing, and the sand. I'm hoping to have it running by the end of the month.

Found out that petco is doing their $1 per gallon sale so i went today and got a 29 and a 10(sump)! Also picked up a nano reef octopus skimmer, that is rated for 55gal, at a lfs for $80! Woo, the upgrade has officially started!

Is this a sponge? So pretty!

The new tank looks great. The ponies will really love all the space! You should definitely get a bunch more gorgonians for that big tank to replace the fake plants :)

dixie reefer

Yes that is a sponge! Its my first one ever so hopefully it does well.

I have taken the fake plants out, I hated how it looked plus it was collecting too much debris. My yellow seahorse turned black, so I got some plastic yellow chain and zip tied it to a couple small rocks in hopes of getting her to change back. So far, nothing, still black. I'm placing a huge order with kp aquatics in a month and getting a bunch of colorful gorgs sponges for the new build, hopefully that will get her to turn back......

dixie reefer

Some will. She was bright yellow when I got her, so I know she has the ability. Right now I guess she is just being a "pita".

Just witnessed my emerald crab eating my pom pom crab! I swear, when my mantis shrimp comes in, that sob will be the first to be sacrificed! So mad right now!

Just witnessed my emerald crab eating my pom pom crab! I swear, when my mantis shrimp comes in, that sob will be the first to be sacrificed! So mad right now!

sacrifices have to be made sometimes!

Nice tank btw. digging the ponies!!!

Haha I guess karma is catching up to the murderous emerald. He tried messing with my pistol shrimp and now the shrimp is giving him hell. He may not make it long enough for the mantis to even get here. Muahahahaha (evil laugh)

Haha I guess karma is catching up to the murderous emerald. He tried messing with my pistol shrimp and now the shrimp is giving him hell. He may not make it long enough for the mantis to even get here. Muahahahaha (evil laugh)

Ha. Nature is natural and nurturing always isn't!!!

Awe this sponge :wub: Loved it from the first day you texted me a pic of it. It's reminds me of a acro. I can't believe i missed it that day i was in there store, if i would have seen it, it would be in my tank :P:lol:

That 29 is looking saweet! The ponies are gonna love it in there. So when you drilling that and what are doing for an overflow?

Archived