SaltCritters.com

The Seahorse Club!

Felicia

Could the issue be bought on kindle, by any chance? I still haven't gotten around to finding an LFS.

I know you can buy an online subscription to Coral for only like $22, but I don't know if you can buy individual issues in online format.

How does everybody control the algae growth on your seahorses? Would a cleaner shrimp help or would the ponies gang up on it and eat it?

I think cleaner shrimp can be fine with seahorses as long as they're large enough to not be considered food. The only worry there is that they're pretty crazy over food so you may have a harder time making sure the cleaner shrimp doesn't snatch most of the seahorses' food. I just use a turkey baster once a week or so to blow algae off my seahorses.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The most experienced seahorse keepers have noted that enriching frozen mysis does not work well enough to make any noticeable positive impact. In accordance with this, I don't enrich the mysis I feed them. Most people who do enrich seem to use Selcon (based on what I have heard on various forums), though. Is there a nutritional breakdown of the two supplements anywhere? That could help you choose.

I personally use Vitachem, but that's only because its what the breeder my seahorses came from was using. I'm not sure if it makes much of a difference, but I figured my seahorses were used to its flavor or whatever :)

They seem to focus on different things. Vita-Chem is a whole bunch of vitamins and amino acids, whereas Selcon is for HUFA's + only 2 vitamins. I use PE Mysis, which is supposed to already be very rich in HUFA's, so Selcon seems like a waste. However, if the Vita-Chem binds to the food and makes any difference (which is questionable), then it is a supplement for a whole bunch of different vitamins and amino acids.

Vita-Chem Marine

Ingredients:
Ascorbic acid, marine algae (ulva and kelp), marine sponges (Cliona cliona), marine plankton extract, biotin, soluble brewer's yeast, cobalamine concentrate, L-Lysine HCL, d-alpha tocopherol, inositol folic acid, and hydrochloride monohydrate.

Screenshot2014-03-07at122010PM.png

Selcon

Ingredients:

Selco Highly Unsaturated Fatty Acids; Marine lipids - 200 mg/g.
Vitamin C stabilized (ascorbate-2-sulfate) - 200 mg.
Vitamin B12 Cyanocobalamin - 240 mcg.

natalia_la_loca

I've been experimenting with enriching frozen mysis with some Dan's Feed (an enrichment blend sold by Seahorse Source) that I had lying around. I was using it to gutload live brine until my LFS stopped carrying brine. I mix it into a thin paste with NSW, stir in the mysis, stick it in the fridge for a few hours, rinse well with NSW, then feed. No idea whether it makes any difference at all, but the mysis does have a greenish cast even after rinsing. They like eating it either way. I feed Hikari mysis.

This is one of my seahorses...I have two female erectus. Eventually I'll work up the courage to post a FTS...I can do good closeups, but I'm embarrassed by the scape in my seahorse tank :wacko:

post-83370-0-74958700-1394223626_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I have watched these posts off and on for awhile now. I have always loved seahorses. I am beginning to plan my seahorse build now. Today I dug out some dried LR from a prior tank and worked on an aquascape. I know ponies are a big commitment and I feel ready.

River_styx

So I'm upgrading my seahorse tank and with the new room I want to add more corals. But...I hear mixed advice when it comes to LPS corals. Acans seem fine (as long as your not trying to raise fry) and some say lobos are okay...? Seems odd to me. What seahorse safe LPS corals have you had success with?

natalia_la_loca

So I'm upgrading my seahorse tank and with the new room I want to add more corals. But...I hear mixed advice when it comes to LPS corals. Acans seem fine (as long as your not trying to raise fry) and some say lobos are okay...? Seems odd to me. What seahorse safe LPS corals have you had success with?

I have acans, sun coral and a large colony of caulastrea in my seahorse tank. None of them bother the seahorses at all.

River_styx

I have acans, sun coral and a large colony of caulastrea in my seahorse tank. None of them bother the seahorses at all.

What about bowerbankis?

• 1 month later...
Cameron6796

Woah algae grows on seahorses, like their skin I did not realize this. I really want some because my mom loves them and it would get her immediate approval. I have seen a few people with mp10s what settings are they on. Also someone mentioned AIO tanks for seahorses,good or bad? Recommendations on an aio for this? I was thinking hippocampus Erectus. What do you have Felicia.

Some of you may have seen my seahorse tank now that it is cycled on my tank build thread but I thought I'd post a pic here for you seahorse followers. I think it has everything except seahorses which I hope to get in September. I welcome any comments if you see something that could use changed before my ponies arrive since I am new to this. I too am planning on getting a pair of H. erectus. The tank is a 30g XH.

post-82793-0-42875800-1403643311_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I've kept zoster for 2 yrs. And there a lot of work. Now I'm setting up a new 35 hex for a pair of reidi. But I found some Hawaiian fisheri that are just awesome. Ocean rider is selling them. There just 2" and eat frozen. And they have nice colors to them. There not cheap but they'd work well in a nano tank. So I might have to save up for them.

post-82220-0-69918200-1403740660_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1