Pod Your Reef

Drilled Cube

ihatesears18

ihatesears18

bump. does anyone know if this is true?

you read that right, and i find it ridiculous to think of drilling a hole of any size less than 1/2" from the edge of the glass...the rule of thumb i follow is the same as Uncle posted; in that no hole should be closer to the edge then 1.5 times the diameter of the hole, measured from the centre of the hole...ie you want a 1.75" hole (1" bulkhead) you need to be a minimum of 2.65" from the edge, and even a little further for thinner glass

Is it 1.5x the distance from the edge of the hole, or from the center?

Also I can't find my stupid cordless drill charger :angry:

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
mgsullivan24

I should know this but I don't, I've never really paid attention I just put holes where I want holes. I would not recommend my way though. My 12"x12" is 1/4" glass so it's probably a little tougher than yours.

Good luck, I bet it goes just fine. Take your time, let the bit do the work, and keep the drill site cool with water without electrocuting yourself.

Mike

Good luck, I bet it goes just fine. Take your time, let the bit do the work, and keep the drill site cool with water without electrocuting yourself.

Mike

+1. Good luck!

ihatesears18

Let there be hole! That's water drops on the inside of the tank, not chips. There was pretty much no chip out at all.

image_zps23b47c55.jpg

Storms are rolling in so the return hole will have to wait.

ihatesears18

Success!

image_zpsdd945c4a.jpg

Paint is going on tomorrow (krylon fusion black) and the sump will be here soon. I should have it up and running this week!!!

ihatesears18

Paint is going on today, and I also plan on checking out some live rock at some fish stores. Still on the fence about rock...

ihatesears18

Looks great! What paint did you use and how did you apply it?

Krylon fusion spray paint. Just cleaned the glass, taped everything off and sprayed.

ihatesears18

The micro sump should be here today! I've already got a water change ready for the Biocube so that I can take out about 4 gallons and move it to the floor. I'm bouncing back and forth on live rock from PA vs dry rock. Halp!

ihatesears18

While I was waiting on the sump to arrive I went ahead and moved the Biocube. I got my wife to help me so I didn't stir too much crap up. I also did a 1 gallon water change. I'll mix up another gallon for another water change tomorrow just in case some crap got stirred up.

Archived