SaltCritters.com

KG's Reef² Coming Down

kguske2

You may or may not have a diatom phase... just wait it out and see. The white stuff on your rocks doesn't look like algae, but I wouldn't worry about it too much. You want to add your CUC ASAP otherwise you could have a little mini cycle if you wait a week and then add a bunch... I would say one more water change and then get them in there

Also, how many hours are you running your lights for right now?

Currently running the lights for 8 hours, with about a 50% max on blue and white. And yea the white stuff doesnt look like any pictures I've seen of algae but it's definitely growing whatever it is.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CUC is in the tank. Probably over 100 snails in the shipment from Reefcleaners. Dwarf ceriths are loving to climb all over the glass while everything else is just chilling. Ammonia and nitrite are 0 and nitrate is around 5-10.

Good to have some life in the tank!

CUC is in the tank. Probably over 100 snails in the shipment from Reefcleaners. Dwarf ceriths are loving to climb all over the glass while everything else is just chilling. Ammonia and nitrite are 0 and nitrate is around 5-10. Good to have some life in the tank!

Congrats! Finally done with cycling... I'd watch your nitrates, they might climb real fast due to the new additions. If it does, another water change later on will easily take care of this.

So the CUC went in Friday, and Sunday it appeared that I am getting somewhat of a diatom bloom. The rock is turning a dark brown color with some fuzzy particles attached to it. Not worried about it just the update for today.

In other news, upgraded my living room and now this is my view.

null_zps7472e756.jpg

Yeah, that's the start of them. What all species of snails/CUC did you get to start off with?

I got the cleaner package from Reefcleaners. It came with an abundance of dwarf ceriths, Florida ceriths, nerites, and nassarius

I got the cleaner package from Reefcleaners. It came with an abundance of dwarf ceriths, Florida ceriths, nerites, and nassarius

Nice variety! Definitely will go with reef cleaners when it's time for me to restock my CUC. Any plans for future additions?

Nice variety! Definitely will go with reef cleaners when it's time for me to restock my CUC. Any plans for future additions?

I actually picked up two frags today from my LFS. 1 eagle eye/radioactive dragon eye zoa frag, and 1 tiiinnny acan frag. Some of their stuff is suspect but I was able to find these two and went ahead and got them. Pics tomorrow. Also I plan on getting a snowflake clown and black and white clown whenever the LFS gets a shipment of each in.

So I know I can't load this tank up as it is so new, which is why I'm waiting on fish for another week or two, but is there any reason against putting a few more zoa frags in the tank. Since they aren't getting fed I wouldn't think it would be a problem.

Actually, with your cycling methods, I think adding fish would be fine. Either way, zoas won't be a problem.

I think I'd be fine adding fish especially since my parameters are good and have been stable all week but I just want to be totally sure. Been looking at some coral though for sure!

I think I'd be fine adding fish especially since my parameters are good and have been stable all week but I just want to be totally sure. Been looking at some coral though for sure!

Yes, you definitely need to add a couple of fish to keep your bacteria that you've spent so much time building upalive. Otherwise, you could have just used the traditional cycling method, because if you wait too long at this point you will probably get a mini cycle when you add your first fish. Any plans as far as species?

Congrats on your first corals! Those acans look sweet! Just take your time and all will go well. You could definitely add a few more frags, just don't go crazy.

So the CUC went in Friday, and Sunday it appeared that I am getting somewhat of a diatom bloom. The rock is turning a dark brown color with some fuzzy particles attached to it. Not worried about it just the update for today.

In other news, upgraded my living room and now this is my view.

null_zps7472e756.jpg

BEST PICTURE EVER! Big TV, epic nano the in the making, and the best coffee table decor ever! Go Broncos!

As stated above I picked up two frags yesterday and they are now in the tank and settled in.

Acan

null_zps2f2141f2.jpg

Nice pickups, congrats

Woa that acan :wub:

Yes, you definitely need to add a couple of fish to keep your bacteria that you've spent so much time building upalive. Otherwise, you could have just used the traditional cycling method, because if you wait too long at this point you will probably get a mini cycle when you add your first fish. Any plans as far as species?

I'm looking for a snowflake clown and a black and white clown but my LFS doesn't have any at the moment and aren't sure when they're getting any in. So I've been searching the web for clowns but haven't found a great site for what I'm looking for.

Congrats on your first corals! Those acans look sweet! Just take your time and all will go well. You could definitely add a few more frags, just don't go crazy.

Thanks! The acans were a huge surprise as they didn't have any of the orange color in them at the store. Then I got them home and was beyond happy with the purchase!

BEST PICTURE EVER! Big TV, epic nano the in the making, and the best coffee table decor ever! Go Broncos!

Nice pickups, congrats

Woa that acan :wub:

Can't wait for this Sunday to take down the Cowboys that's for sure! Woah a compliment from a recovering coral addict on my acan.. Honored

Looking at some zoas frags from cultivated reef. All reviews seem to be good anyone here have experience with them?

Note to self...be sure to come back to this thread if Dallas "shocks the world". Keep in mind that although they look absolutely unstoppable, Denver hasn't played anyone yet...Not saying that Dallas is the team that will stop them, but that they are probably not the unstoppable freight train that they appear to be currently. Any offense is going to look like a SB team when playing Oakland, Philly, Washington, and Baltimore. Do those teams have 4 wins combined? just sayin'...

Oh and don't worry, if Dallas wins, I'll be all over Zia's thread too, lol.

Note to self...be sure to come back to this thread if Dallas "shocks the world". Keep in mind that although they look absolutely unstoppable, Denver hasn't played anyone yet...Not saying that Dallas is the team that will stop them, but that they are probably not the unstoppable freight train that they appear to be currently. Any offense is going to look like a SB team when playing Oakland, Philly, Washington, and Baltimore. Do those teams have 4 wins combined? just sayin'...

I know I know but I gotta enjoy it while it lasts! I think our offense is on another level but not at the rate it has been so far.

null_zpsc66af1bf.jpg

On another note, do you/will you later on have any more of the hammer/frogspawn frags like zia bought from you a little while ago? Been checking the eBay store after he tipped us off! Great looking stuff!

So my acan hasn't been letting out its tentacles/feeders(?) at night for the past few days. It did for the first week and they would extend just fine( couldn't believe how long they were!) I had been dropping a NLS pellet when they would open every 3 days,(so only 3 times since I got them) but now that they aren't opening at night, I'm not sure if everything is ok.

I can see they are growing because a new head has started to develop, and they look perfectly normal during the day. Not sure whats up...

null_zpsc66af1bf.jpg

Winning!

So my acan hasn't been letting out its tentacles/feeders(?) at night for the past few days. It did for the first week and they would extend just fine( couldn't believe how long they were!) I had been dropping a NLS pellet when they would open every 3 days,(so only 3 times since I got them) but now that they aren't opening at night, I'm not sure if everything is ok.

I can see they are growing because a new head has started to develop, and they look perfectly normal during the day. Not sure whats up...

No direct flow needs to be shaded somewhat. I recently made these two mistakes myself.

Winning!

No direct flow needs to be shaded somewhat. I recently made these two mistakes myself.

Looks like I'll be moving it tonight! I don't think it's in direct flow, but it is certainly not shaded at all

So after one day of moving the acan to a more shaded area it already looks 10x better. Even opening up during the moonlights! Thanks for the tip Zia!

Archived