Cultivated Reef

80 Gallon Rimless "Lagoon"

HALLZOO

lnglostsurfer

Holy frogspawn!!...and all other corals! This tank looks great, I love the dimensions and also how you keep your stocking limited. Looks much cleaner than when people have bigger tanks like this and have a million different small frags vs a few large colonies.

• Like 1

Sweet baby jesus!

How are you getting your water level to be so close to the top?

I flipped the wacky gate thing upside-down. It covers much more of the overflow teeth that way!

Holy frogspawn!!...and all other corals! This tank looks great, I love the dimensions and also how you keep your stocking limited. Looks much cleaner than when people have bigger tanks like this and have a million different small frags vs a few large colonies.

Thanks. Most of these guys I grew out of a 7.5 gal cube I had 3 years ago.

Beautiful tank!!! Love the colors! :)

Putting a lid on your tank might not look so nice, but it'll save your Midas Blenny's life. ;)

Thanks!

That's good advice regarding the lid.

• Like 1
jedimasterben

I flipped the wacky gate thing upside-down. It covers much more of the overflow teeth that way!

Interesting - I'll have to give that a shot!

Only problem I forsee is that it will still drain to the same level when the pumps are off, and my sump will need to be able to run without a lot of water in the return.

WOW! Beautiful! I'm sure it's even better in person with all the movement it probably has.

I love the soft colors of the corals and you did a great job with your coral placement.

• Like 2

WOW! Beautiful! I'm sure it's even better in person with all the movement it probably has.

I love the soft colors of the corals and you did a great job with your coral placement.

Thank you so much!

I was inspired by the reef tank I always wanted when I was 16 (about 22 years ago)- I used to drool over the 1990's-era reef tanks lit by 5500K halides and containing only softies like xenia, anthelia, leather corals, and mushrooms.

Now that I'm 38 I can actually afford it! This tank is a old/new method hybrid. I use a modified Berlin method with T5's. My T5 bulb combox is a little unconventional - I run 2 6000K Giesmann middays, 2 ATI true actinic, 1 ATI Fiji purple, and 1 ATI coral plus. No ATI blue + bulbs over this tank! Gives it a great 10k look with a yellow spectrum boost that makes the greens and reds really stand out. This mix has the added benefit of photographing great as well (no windex look).

• Like 2

I was admiring your pictures, again, a few minutes ago, and my wife sees your tank and said 'whoa... why can't our tank be like that?'

Wow, thanks! I really enjoy the way the tank looks right now. Truth is I really hate cutting corals so my colonies tend to get huge. Gonna hafta do it pretty soon though!

• Like 3

must...see...this...tank...in...video!!!!! PLEASE RECORD IT!!! The flow must be so beast!!!

The flow is actually a little less than you think. The left Tunze 6055 is set to 75% while the right one is at 40%. They're setup in an 8 second alternating pattern.

This is my favorite tank... :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: In love. If you ever sell frags, I'm in!

This needs to be the next TOTM.

Thanks! TOTM would be crazy, never really see myself at that level.

Wow, that's great. I need a frogspawn ball of awesome like that. :naughtydance:

Thanks, he started out as two (almost dead) heads at my LFS. Three years and 20 gallons of two-part later he's a beast!

This is my favorite tank... :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: In love. If you ever sell frags, I'm in!

This needs to be the next TOTM.

+1

This is exactly what I am shooting for with my next tank!

Any pictures of the rock aquascape before the corals were added?

• Like 1

+1 This is exactly what I am shooting for with my next tank! Any pictures of the rock aquascape before the corals were added?

This is about all I have. The rocks (with corals attached) were pulled out of my 40 breeder and placed into this tank when I set it up in May 2013. The 40 breeder was running for about a year before that, and the corals were in a 27 gal cube for about a year and half before that (sorry for the history spiel)

You can sort of get an idea of my minimal live rock setup from these photos. I haven't changed much other than moving a few corals around here and there. I was shooting for more of a "flat" look with pillars of life and some visible sand. My inspirations were old-school reef tanks (hence mostly softies), Julian Sprung's home reef (check it out on YouTube), and the soft coral reef tank named "Japanese Style Soft Coral Reefscape", also on YouTube.

Thanks for the kind comments!

post-59679-0-55462400-1383780647_thumb.jpg

post-59679-0-04294000-1383780655_thumb.jpg

Sweet baby jesus!

How are you getting your water level to be so close to the top?

Raise the standpipe in the overflow. I have done it on all 3 of my deep blue tanks.