SaltCritters.com

80 Gallon Rimless "Lagoon"

HALLZOO

jedimasterben

airline tubing. Run a length of it into the drain till the sound stops.

It's not the overflow noise (including noise from the drain pipe) that is the issue - it is the water falling into the sump, and I don't think getting more air into the pipe will fix that, will it?

It's not the overflow noise (including noise from the drain pipe) that is the issue - it is the water falling into the sump, and I don't think getting more air into the pipe will fix that, will it?

It's a balance between air entering the durso via the small hole and water out of the drain into the sump. On my tank, I have the outlet in the sump slightly below the waterline. I also connected a 1" barb fitting to the end to restrict the water flow into the sump a little. It's dead silent!

wad of filter floss between the end of the drain pipe and filter sock. Also try the airline tubing just to be sure.
jedimasterben

You have a durso and the water pipe below the surface? Whoa. That should be creating back pressure on the durso and cause a 'toilet flush' noise. At least mine did when I tried that :(

I'll have to play around with it some more, I guess. Oy.

I've done that, and it helped, but the only filter socks I have are 200 micron mesh and 1 micron felt, and to be frank, I'd rather not use filter socks at all. I'm gonna give this a shot: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=17278505&postcount=1351'>http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=17278505&postcount=1351
Lmao I built one of those months ago. I think you said it overflows in a few days? If you have a 8 inch water height in your sump make sure the floss is just above the water line. My sump is whisper quiet and mine starts to overflow at the 14 day mark.

what about something like the maggie muffler? do those work to quiet things down?
Maggie mufflers are HUGE most overflows are to small for them.

You have a durso and the water pipe below the surface? Whoa. That should be creating back pressure on the durso and cause a 'toilet flush' noise. At least mine did when I tried that :( I'll have to play around with it some more, I guess. Oy.
If you are hearing a toilet flush with the drain under water your return pump is more than the overflow can handle. My drain is stuck in a pile of floss under the water line.
jedimasterben

Lmao I built one of those months ago. I think you said it overflows in a few days? If you have a 8 inch water height in your sump make sure the floss is just above the water line. My sump is whisper quiet and mine starts to overflow at the 14 day mark.

Sump water height is 12", sump tank height is 18". The one micron socks will overflow very quickly, very little makes it through them, and the mesh ones get clogged up with bacterial films in a few days.

If you are hearing a toilet flush with the drain under water your return pump is more than the overflow can handle. My drain is stuck in a pile of floss under the water line.

I even put a ball valve on the return line, cut it to half flow, and still couldn't do it - and the water line in my tank dropped another inch.

Sump water height is 12", sump tank height is 18". The one micron socks will overflow very quickly, very little makes it through them, and the mesh ones get clogged up with bacterial films in a few days.

I even put a ball valve on the return line, cut it to half flow, and still couldn't do it - and the water line in my tank dropped another inch.

You just can't win :)
llama roadkill
link it to the nomination thread

They honestly need to create a voting system IMO. Gather all nominations and make a poll. Just my opinion.

• Like 1
They honestly need to create a voting system IMO. Gather all nominations and make a poll. Just my opinion.
Pretty much is a voting system. If a tank gets 6-8 votes TOTM in a few months.

Your tank is stunning! I absolutly love how natural and "real" it looks compared to most. Now I need to set up a tank like this...

Thanks! I enjoy it, too. I've let my corals get big, and I've had to upgrade to larger tanks over the last three years just to give them room.

Not sure when I'll stop getting bigger tanks!

• Like 2

Thought you guys/gals might be interested in some progression pics. Shown below are my previous 27 gal cube and 40 breeder (which is now the sump for my 80). Can you spot some of my corals in these pics? 27 pic is from June 2012 and 40 breeder is from Jan 2013. I'll try to dig up some older photos from my 7.5 gal rimless.

post-59679-0-84743900-1383950196_thumb.jpg

post-59679-0-90889000-1383950351_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I was digging around some old photos and found these of my very first reef tank. It was a 15 gallon, complete with a 175w 5500k halide and trickle filter. I remember plumbing in a 20 gallon rubbermiad container just to keep the temps down!

I had this tank in 1996 (I scanned these from polaroid pictures):

post-59679-0-70725400-1383970352_thumb.jpg

post-59679-0-68731500-1383970384_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I hate to do this to you on a public forum like this, but you've embarrassed yourself enough already.... The 15 gallon looks way better than what you have now! Tell you what. I've got a spare 15 gallon tank laying around. I'll send you the tank and you can start fresh. I'll even take your current setup off your hands for you so you don't have to worry about it any longer. :)

• Like 5

I hate to do this to you on a public forum like this, but you've embarrassed yourself enough already.... The 15 gallon looks way better than what you have now! Tell you what. I've got a spare 15 gallon tank laying around. I'll send you the tank and you can start fresh. I'll even take your current setup off your hands for you so you don't have to worry about it any longer. :)

Hilarious!

You should have seen the equipment I packed into that little tank, it had more crap plugged into the outlet than my 80 gal does now! Back then I honestly believed that technology was the key to success. Truth is (IMO) water changes and common sense are really all it takes.

• Like 3