Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

The 40B Club.

BeardedReeferLLC

Strike up Date: Wanna say Nov 2010 but this current configuration has been running since Oct. 2011

Display Tank: 40G Breeder.
Display Lighting: 150W Viper halide/ 2x39W T5HO actintic
Stand: Standard Stand
Total System volume is approx 40g
System Water: RODI w/Instant ocean
Display Water circulation: AC 130

Sump: None

Overflow: None
Controller: None

Return Pump: None

Skimmer: None.
Evaporation Top Up Unit: None

Nutrient Export: Caulerpa

Dosing: Normal Suppliments

Fish: Yellowtail Blenny & Sixline Wrasse

Clean up Crew: Hermits and and Emerald Crap

Coral: Various

http://s75.photobucket.com/user/g12052/media/40%20B/photobucket-23721-1382048048387_zps1a9955a7.jpg.html'>photobucket-23721-1382048048387_zps1a995

• Like 4

Strike up Date: Starting November 2013

Display Lighting: EcoTech Marine Radion XR30w Gen 2
Stand: Plan to do a DIY
Sump: 30Gal DIY
Total System volume is approx 60G.
Overflow: Plan to have dual overflows, 1.5" and 1"
Refugium Lighting: LED nano clip on
System Water: hoping for RO/DI system

UV Sterilizer: Turbo-twist UV 6x 18w
Display Water circulation: Vortech MP10ES and 3 returns from sump
Controller: N/A
Return Pump: Mag-Drive 18.
Skimmer: Coralife super skimmer 125
Evaporation Top Up Unit: JBJ A.T.O. water level controller

Chemical Support: N/A; as of now

Well everyone, my brother and I are making the plunge from freshwater to saltwater and plan to use this 40 breeder as a learning experience and gain the specific knowledge on the way. We know some but will most likely rely on this community for a vast amount of help. So far we've purchased the radion XR30w, the super skimmer and 18w turbo twist UV sterilizer. We're in the planning stages of building the stand and sump, as well as buying the 40b and drilling it. Giving the mag-drive 18, we should be able to get away with purchasing the Vortech down the road once the tank is cycling. I know this is too much flow through the sump to make the refugium worth while so we plan to plumb the main entry into the sump into a filter sock and have a smaller input drain into the refugium at a much slower rate.

Does this list of equipment look ok to you guys that have much more experience than me? Any problems that you could spot? Any input at all would be greatly appreciated. Are you able to drill the petco 40 breeders that you purchase at the dollar per gallon sale? I'm really torn on how I want the overflows/drains to look and what technique to use.

Honestly, anything you guys have to say would be greatly appreciated as I said, this journey has just begun and we plan to take our time and do this the correct way.

Thanks for any input,

Nate

My 40 Breeder was dismantled, but I will post it up as an example for others.

Display Lighting: 6 Bulb T5HO

Stand: DIY Stand & Canopy

Sump: 40G Breeder (Skimmer & Refugium)

Total System Volume: ~70 Gallons

Overflow: Custom Herbie

Refugium Lighting: Power Compact

Display Water circulation: 900gph Return, 1200gph Closed Loop, both on SCWDs

Return Pump: Quiet One 4000HH

Skimmer: Octopus

NewBulbsFTS.jpg

FTSGlenShot.jpg

AcroAngleNewlamps.jpg

IMG_0001.jpgSumpFull.jpgBulbs.jpg

OMG !!!!! Set it back up !!!! :) Seriously awesome.

Well everyone, my brother and I are making the plunge from freshwater to saltwater and plan to use this 40 breeder as a learning experience and gain the specific knowledge on the way. We know some but will most likely rely on this community for a vast amount of help. So far we've purchased the radion XR30w, the super skimmer and 18w turbo twist UV sterilizer. We're in the planning stages of building the stand and sump, as well as buying the 40b and drilling it. Giving the mag-drive 18, we should be able to get away with purchasing the Vortech down the road once the tank is cycling. I know this is too much flow through the sump to make the refugium worth while so we plan to plumb the main entry into the sump into a filter sock and have a smaller input drain into the refugium at a much slower rate.

Does this list of equipment look ok to you guys that have much more experience than me? Any problems that you could spot? Any input at all would be greatly appreciated. Are you able to drill the petco 40 breeders that you purchase at the dollar per gallon sale? I'm really torn on how I want the overflows/drains to look and what technique to use.

Honestly, anything you guys have to say would be greatly appreciated as I said, this journey has just begun and we plan to take our time and do this the correct way.

Thanks for any input,

Nate

Looks like you have all the bases covered. That's a great list of equipment you've chosen :) Looking forward to seeing pics.

• Like 4

about to be in the club.. B)

ignore the picture behind the tank, it's probably coming down (still hasn't yet, I'm lazy).

Strike up Date: still dry 11/14/13

Display Lighting: Reefbreeder Photon 24

Stand: DIY
Sump: 20H DIY
Total System volume: Approximately 60g before rock/sand

Overflow: glass holes 700
Refugium Lighting: clip on work light from HD
Display Water circulation: 2 x Vortech MP10ES and 1 return from sump
Controller: this guy

Return Pump: Mag-Drive 7
Skimmer: Bubble Magus Curve 5

Evaporation Top Up Unit: ATO float on a timer with Tom's aqua lifter

Chemical Support: phosguard and GAC (if I remember to change them more than once every 4 months)

more detailed info can be found in my build thread (link in sig)

20131104_213125-1_zps1264a345.jpg

---------------------------------------------------

Thought I should add an updated photo:

http://s1073.photobucket.com/user/GHill762/media/20140119_122913-1_zps4bcbcdc8.jpg.html'>20140119_122913-1_zps4bcbcdc8.jpg20131228_083205-1_zpsee86037e.jpg

• Like 5

Awesome thread. Here is my contribution:

post-69058-0-70278300-1383758543_thumb.jpg

Sorry Zooman!

Equipment:

Return Pump: Ehiem 1262

Skimmer: BM NAC 3.5

2 Ecotech Vortech MP10 EWS

2 Rapid LED Onyx light fixtures

Bulk reef supply GFO/ Carbon Reactor

Aquamaxx Bio pellet reactor

Auto Topoff ATO dbl switch- currently do not use as I am having some issues with the float valves

Everything is controlled with my Apex controller

Custome made acrylic sump from Elegant Reef

Livestock:

(2) Yellow Striped Cardinalfish

Hawkfish

Yellow watchman with Tiger Pistol shrimp

Forked Tail blenny

Eagles Eyes

Blue Zoas

Watermelon Zoas

Purple People Eater

Green Palys

Green Star Polyps

Purple Gorgonian

Orange Non-photo gorgonian

Purple chalice

blue trumpet

Green Leather

Green Frogspawn

Setosa

Duncan

Purple Cap

Sorry for the poor quality of the pics but I can't seem to find my battery for my SLR

post-69058-0-70278300-1383758543_thumb.j

post-69058-0-43390700-1383758555_thumb.j

post-69058-0-54851600-1383758564_thumb.j

post-69058-0-02820500-1383758574_thumb.j

post-69058-0-48284700-1383758580_thumb.j

post-69058-0-27783500-1383758596_thumb.j

post-69058-0-18251700-1383758609_thumb.j

post-69058-0-18251700-1383758609_thumb.j

post-69058-0-33236100-1383758618_thumb.j

post-69058-0-34995800-1383758624_thumb.j

• Like 4

What you did for the lid on the sump is actually what I want to do for my DT lid. I want glass covering the whole thing, obviously with notches for equipment, and I want a corner left like that with a "filler" piece as a small lid on it so I can just lift the corner away for feeding.

Is this to reduce evap losses? How much in temperature rise will you have to account for?

• Like 1

Thanks for any input,

Nate

Hi Nate pretty excited for ya! I drilled 2 40 breeders with no problem just remember go slow and strait. Equipment looks ok I would make sure that you do have rodi water. I would return the UV to get rodi water if you needed to. I am not sure of the skimmer I dont have any knowledge of that brand.. I do suggest to math the flow going through the sump to the flow of the skimmer! 11/2 drain is way to big for what you are doing. I would do a bean animal they are silent or if you only have 2 drains go with a herbie.

I think the two most important for what you can afford is your water quality RODI and your Skimmer. Looks like you will have flow and light covered. I believe in keeping it simple from the start, watch how your tank reacts and if you need to add something do it if its needed... like adding a refugium or gfo or carbon or uv etc. Tanks can run without these things. Post here if yu start a build thread I would like to follow it.

• Like 1

Is this to reduce evap losses? How much in temperature rise will you have to account for?

Yeah to help evap (I'm topping off around a gallon a day right now) and to have something better looking for jumping fish, right now I have egg crate over it. Temp I'm not too worried about, my heater runs about max right now so I'd just turn it down.

• Like 4

My bad, I updated my post.

No problem - nice work... :)

Yeah to help evap (I'm topping off around a gallon a day right now) and to have something better looking for jumping fish, right now I have egg crate over it. Temp I'm not too worried about, my heater runs about max right now so I'd just turn it down.

This...

Evaporation is a bitch, especially in the winter, and there is plenty of gas exchange (common complaint from some is that a cover reduces this, but usually not an issue in a reef tank with high flow and skimmers), plus it keeps the "jumpers" in... :happy:

• Like 2

No problem - nice work... :)

This...

Evaporation is a bitch, especially in the winter, and there is plenty of gas exchange (common complaint from some is that a cover reduces this, but usually not an issue in a reef tank with high flow and skimmers), plus it keeps the "jumpers" in... :happy:

I have my jigsaw and Dremel here now, so when I get some spare $$$ I think I'll just get a slab of acrylic and run with it.

• Like 1

I have my jigsaw and Dremel here now, so when I get some spare $$$ I think I'll just get a slab of acrylic and run with it.

I am sure you already know this, but Lexan is preferable as it is very clear and doesn't "warp" with water exposure - it is quite $$$ though... :bling:

• Like 1

I will add mine since I'm getting close.

001-4.jpg

Display Tank: 40G Breeder w/ Glass-Holes 700GPH overflow
Display Lighting: Reef Breeders Photon24
Stand: DIY 2x4
Sump: 20H with Baffles (DIY) |Skimmer|Return|

TSV: 50ish
System Water: RO/DI Tropic Marin Pro Reef Salt
Display Water circulation: MP10 x2 (Battery Backup) *
Return Pump: Reef Octopus Diablo DC 3500 w/ split 3/4" returns

Skimmer: SCA 302

ATO: Tunze Osmolator 3155*

Substrate: 1" Tropic Eden Reeflakes

Chemical Support: Vertex RX-Z 1.5 ZEOlite Reactor

Controller: RKL

• Like 5
  • 1 month later...

Finishing finals calls for a FTS and new aquascape

40B

DIY full spectrum LED lights

Eheim jager 150W heater

Eheim compact+ 2000 return pump

SCA 65 skimmer

BRS GFO reactor

23W 5k CFL light

Glass holes 700GPH overflow

DIY filter socks and filter sock holder

20G high sump with 8g refugium full of chaeto

ibuae4FFDZK56l.jpg

• Like 4
  • 1 month later...

Strike up Date: Build started October 2013, getting wet probably early Feb 2014

Display Lighting: Par38 LED's 2 for now hope to add a third when i'm ready to move everything into the tank (mid march)
Stand: Custom wood stand.
Sump: 27 gallon heavy duty plastic tub. Will have a fuge section in the middle.

Total System volume is approx 60-65g.
Overflow: Custom overflow
System Water: Dayton OH. At home RODI unit.
Display Water circulation: 3 x hydor powerheads, changing to something a bit more substantial when i can afford it.
Controller: none
Return Pump: mag... i want to say 3.
Skimmer: none
Chemical Support: not sure yet.

http://s156.photobucket.com/user/vickiwilson91/media/photo40_zpsd7ee5d0f.jpg.html'>photo40_zpsd7ee5d0f.jpg

Should be getting wet next week.

• Like 2
Strike up Date: Build started October 2013, getting wet probably early Feb 2014Display Tank: 40G Breeder.Display Lighting: Par38 LED's 2 for now hope to add a third when i'm ready to move everything into the tank (mid march)Stand: Custom wood stand.Sump: 27 gallon heavy duty plastic tub. Will have a fuge section in the middle.Total System volume is approx 60-65g.Overflow: Custom overflowSystem Water: Dayton OH. At home RODI unit.Display Water circulation: 3 x hydor powerheads, changing to something a bit more substantial when i can afford it.Controller: noneReturn Pump: mag... i want to say 3.Skimmer: noneChemical Support: not sure yet. photo40_zpsd7ee5d0f.jpg Should be getting wet next week.

Cool to see a new system coming!

• Like 2

Guess I can join to club now! Had my eye of 40Br since my first tank but didnt want to spend the money, the free stand changed that.

Strike up Date: Wet 1/13/14

Display Lighting: 2 LEDTRIC Par38 and AI Nano
Stand: Los Freebies Standos
Sump: Undecided if i will have one or not

System Water: Buckeye Hydro (Buckeye Field Supply) RO/DI
Display Water circulation: MP10 and 2 Koralia 425's ( probably temporary)
Controller: none
Return Pump: None
Skimmer: Hydor nano (temporary)

Obviously a lot will change if i get a sump or not, still undecided. Waiting for my rocks from reef cleaners to add to whats left of my old 20L build

WP_20140118_001_zps2f87c5b6.jpg

• Like 2