Cultivated Reef

75 Gallon Reef Tank Setup Help!

llama roadkill

llama roadkill
if you are looking for more help/ inspiration, feel free to check out my build (link in the sig)

I saw you had WP-40 and MP-10. That is the problem. I can't afford to spend over $700 on flow. I can't even afford to spend $300.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
llama roadkill
wp-40 - got that one for $70

used mp10 - $150 - $180

if i were you, i'd go with 1 wp40 and 1-2 wp25

I'll research prices.

llama roadkill
wp-40 - got that one for $70

used mp10 - $150 - $180

if i were you, i'd go with 1 wp40 and 1-2 wp25

Couldn't find any WP25s. What about 2 WP40s?

llama roadkill

What is the best RO-DI Filter for a good price? My mom is considering one so that we save money on water.

Two WP40's would actually work really well, as you won't have to run them as high, plus you could make some BA waves.

Also for lighting, you could do a 95% done steves kit

2 wp40 would be more than enough and you'll get awesome flow for sps. You would only need to run them at like half power. And for a total of $140 that deal cannot be beat!

Also, the recommendation for a 95% build from steves is good too. It's basically a diy that's already mostly assembled

You would need a hood for a steves led setup though. Other LEDs can go on topless tanks

llama roadkill
2 wp40 would be more than enough and you'll get awesome flow for sps. You would only need to run them at like half power. And for a total of $140 that deal cannot be beat!

Also, the recommendation for a 95% build from steves is good too. It's basically a diy that's already mostly assembledYou would need a hood for a steves led setup though. Other LEDs can go on topless tanks

By "hood" do you mean like a mesh cover? I am going to use one.

Also, at my LFS they had a 700 custom tank ready for a customer. A full grown man could sit comfortably in each section of the sump!

llama roadkill

I decided to not take the sump from the dealer with the 75. He said it will cost $700 without, but we can bargain. I will be getting 2 WP40s. Sound good?

llama roadkill

He's trying to convince me a fuge is obsolete so I buy the sump and spend the extra $100...

llama roadkill
$100 for a sump is a good deal. Mine's going to cost 3x that.

The sump has no room for a fuge. It is a pre made one most likely made for FOWLR which he is using the tank as now.

llama roadkill
Ah. Your call then.

I may end up passing on the tank. It was obviously setup for FOWLR. It may cost the same to get new anyway, with coupons, of course. I may end up buying the light, though.

I might be a little late to the party but, the NWB150 if you can afford it, is an outstanding skimmer, the discharge sounds like a goddamn dam breaking open though. I won't even comment on the hydors because I saw you were looking at the wp's. Yes I will, the hydor evos are dogshit, I turn mine off everytime I feed and fight with them for about a minute to start spinning properly. Also, I definitely think DIY is the way to go. The Luxeons that Steve sells are going to tremendously better than the "bridgelux" that the ReefBreeders use not (I'm totally not dissing the ReefBreeders, just saying the Luxeons will be way better). I honestly think two wp25's would be enough for a 75, even SPS but the price between the 25 and 40 isn't too drastic anyways.

The sump has no room for a fuge. It is a pre made one most likely made for FOWLR which he is using the tank as now.

No fuge doesn't equal just a FOWLR tank sump.

llama roadkill
I might be a little late to the party but, the NWB150 if you can afford it, is an outstanding skimmer, the discharge sounds like a goddamn dam breaking open though. I won't even comment on the hydors because I saw you were looking at the wp's. Yes I will, the hydor evos are dogshit, I turn mine off everytime I feed and fight with them for about a minute to start spinning properly. Also, I definitely think DIY is the way to go. The Luxeons that Steve sells are going to tremendously better than the "bridgelux" that the ReefBreeders use not (I'm totally not dissing the ReefBreeders, just saying the Luxeons will be way better). I honestly think two wp25's would be enough for a 75, even SPS but the price between the 25 and 40 isn't too drastic anyways.

No fuge doesn't equal just a FOWLR tank sump.

I am not getting the LEDs lights right away. Those will come later on, probably Christmas. I found a Euro website that sells the WP40s for about $75 USD and the WP25s for $70 USD.

Two wp25 or wp40 will work great. Lots of flow. Two wp40 will probably need to be turned down a bit. And it is much better to run a fuge than to not. I would buy a tank from petco during the dollar a gallon sale for a sump and diy the baffles. I used a $40 40 breeder and bought 3 glass baffles from a local glass shop for around $20 and silicones them in. You can get a lot of ideas of your baffle layout on this site. That way you can design it to fit your needs with a perfect sized skimmer section, a fuge, and return section

Yeah exactly, two wp40's will do VERY well in a 75g. I found this, it might be a little dirty now but, with some good cleaning it might clean up nice. Has a stand and shouldn't be too far from you.

http://orlando.craigslist.org/fuo/3832640031.html

Fuges are overrated unless they're really big. Skip the fuge and fit the biggest skimmer you can in it. That's just my thought, I tried a fuge and hated it. Others love them and won't run a tank without them though.

llama roadkill
Two wp25 or wp40 will work great. Lots of flow. Two wp40 will probably need to be turned down a bit. And it is much better to run a fuge than to not. I would buy a tank from petco during the dollar a gallon sale for a sump and diy the baffles. I used a $40 40 breeder and bought 3 glass baffles from a local glass shop for around $20 and silicones them in. You can get a lot of ideas of your baffle layout on this site. That way you can design it to fit your needs with a perfect sized skimmer section, a fuge, and return section

Exactly what I am doing. I will probably buy other things for the tank and won't buy the 40B until the sale.

Yeah exactly, two wp40's will do VERY well in a 75g. I found this, it might be a little dirty now but, with some good cleaning it might clean up nice. Has a stand and shouldn't be too far from you.

http://orlando.craigslist.org/fuo/3832640031.html'>http://orlando.craigslist.org/fuo/3832640031.html

Fuges are overrated unless they're really big. Skip the fuge and fit the biggest skimmer you can in it. That's just my thought, I tried a fuge and hated it. Others love them and won't run a tank without them though.

Seems like a good deal BUT has scratches. If it is on the back, the can simply spray paint, but if it is on the sides or front, I am not really interested.

llama roadkill

No worries, just saw it listed on CL and thought I'd show you.

Thanks for the consideration! That is very nice of you to help. Just doesn't seem like the best, you know?

Those are nice stands, had one for my 55g, pretty space limited inside though. But for a 18" wide tank you should have no issues fit any 12" wide tank under it.

llama roadkill
Those are nice stands, had one for my 55g, pretty space limited inside though. But for a 18" wide tank you should have no issues fit any 12" wide tank under it.

I feel dumb, but what do you mean? No 40B?

No worries. The space under the stand on those particular stands are quite small. I had the same stand for a 55g and I couldn't even fit a 10G under it. So there is probably no way you are going to fit a 18" 40B under a 75G stand like that.

Archived