Pod Your Reef

75 Gallon Reef Tank Setup Help!

llama roadkill

llama roadkill
No worries. The space under the stand on those particular stands are quite small. I had the same stand for a 55g and I couldn't even fit a 10G under it. So there is probably no way you are going to fit a 18" 40B under a 75G stand like that.

So what stand do you reccomend?

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To fit a 40B under a 75G? The only things I can think of is, find a stand for a 120G or any 24" wide tank or build a stand.

llama roadkill
To fit a 40B under a 75G? The only things I can think of is, find a stand for a 120G or any 24" wide tank or build a stand.

So maybe buy a stand from Petco meant for a 125, or maybe convince my mom to let me have a 125... :P

You can probably get away with a 20long sump if you don't mind less space. I used a 20l on my 57 gallon without issue. In my 120 I now use a 40b. But my 120 is 24" wide.

llama roadkill
You can probably get away with a 20long sump if you don't mind less space. I used a 20l on my 57 gallon without issue. In my 120 I now use a 40b. But my 120 is 24" wide.

I just would like a lot of room for my fuge. I need a lot of pods for my Dragonet.

shanesauce

Check out the last post I made in my build thread. I have a 75 and a 40B sump. The stand was very easy to build, I just had lowes cut the wood down and I basically just had to screw it all together.

That is a good point. I built a stand pretty easily for under $100 (helped that my gf uncle is a carpenter and I used his shop and cutting skills). But if you want it to look nice check Craigslist or that petco stand.

Also, you can get a 29 gallon as a sump or a 30 long as a sump. Look around on Craigslist. Since its a sump it can be scratched and beat to hell as long as it holds water.

shanesauce

It was fairly simple and cheap depending on what tools you already have.

My stand consisted of

(4) 35" sections

(4) 50" sections

(4) 17" sections

(8) 28" sections

Grand total of 632 inches of wood, or 53 foot of 2x4's grab yourself a box of 3" wood screws and if you already have a drill then voila! you have a beefy overbuilt stand for no more than $40-50. Whatever you skin the stand in is totally up to you, heck you could hang black cloth over it to hide the sump that is what I did to stay cost friendly on my old build.

The opening in the front is like 39 inches so the 40 breeder slides right in and leaves about 12 inches of room above the sump for tons of room to work on it.

If you want to save some cash go with the bulk reef supply pukani and reef saver stuff. It is super porous so you will only need half as much as you would with other kinds. You can probably get away with 35lbs of it and just seed it in a bucket with a little bit of live rock.

llama roadkill
Check out the last post I made in my build thread. I have a 75 and a 40B sump. The stand was very easy to build, I just had lowes cut the wood down and I basically just had to screw it all together.
It was fairly simple and cheap depending on what tools you already have.

My stand consisted of

(4) 35" sections

(4) 50" sections

(4) 17" sections

(8) 28" sections

Grand total of 632 inches of wood, or 53 foot of 2x4's grab yourself a box of 3" wood screws and if you already have a drill then voila! you have a beefy overbuilt stand for no more than $40-50. Whatever you skin the stand in is totally up to you, heck you could hang black cloth over it to hide the sump that is what I did to stay cost friendly on my old build.

The opening in the front is like 39 inches so the 40 breeder slides right in and leaves about 12 inches of room above the sump for tons of room to work on it.

That sounds like a great idea! Thanks for the dimensions!

That is a good point. I built a stand pretty easily for under $100 (helped that my gf uncle is a carpenter and I used his shop and cutting skills). But if you want it to look nice check Craigslist or that petco stand.

Also, you can get a 29 gallon as a sump or a 30 long as a sump. Look around on Craigslist. Since its a sump it can be scratched and beat to hell as long as it holds water.

Good point. I just want the largest fuge possible so I can get the most effect. A 29 or 30 will also work, though.

If you want to save some cash go with the bulk reef supply pukani and reef saver stuff. It is super porous so you will only need half as much as you would with other kinds. You can probably get away with 35lbs of it and just seed it in a bucket with a little bit of live rock.

I am deciding between BRS and Reef Cleaners. My LFS sells Live Rock for $4/lb, so I am picking up around 25-30 lbs. Which website do you think provides the best rock for aquascaping. I kind of want a rock wall in the back and a few rocks up front. Lots of sandbed space.

I would avoid a Rockwall if you are thinking of gluing them to the Side of the tank. I would just stack them along the back.

Brs, reefcleaners, and Marco rocks are all great. I have used brs and Marco and love the rocks. Marco sent me 120 lbs sand, and 50 lbs rock for free shipping and it was CHEAP. I really like the porous, light rock he sells. But again they are all good. Use dry rock and seed with a couple of pieces of liverock from the lfs.

And a diy stand will be much cheaper, but probably not look as nice (unless you have skills in carpentry or have a handy family member lol)

llama roadkill
I would avoid a Rockwall if you are thinking of gluing them to the Side of the tank. I would just stack them along the back.

Brs, reefcleaners, and Marco rocks are all great. I have used brs and Marco and love the rocks. Marco sent me 120 lbs sand, and 50 lbs rock for free shipping and it was CHEAP. I really like the porous, light rock he sells. But again they are all good. Use dry rock and seed with a couple of pieces of liverock from the lfs. And a diy stand will be much cheaper, but probably not look as nice (unless you have skills in carpentry or have a handy family member lol)

I did not mean glue them to the side, just to each other so they don't topple.

The cool thing about dry rock is that it's very easy to stack so it is secure. When your get the tank and rock, put some egg crate ($8 home depot for 4'x2' piece in lighting section) in the bottom of the tank, then stack the rocks on top of that. The egg crate will protect the glass from scratches or cracks of a rock falls. Then you can carefully stack the rocks how you like. You could also use aquarium epoxy or acrylic dowels to secure the rocks, but then it gets hard if you change your aquascape. You Can also use a hammer and chisel or screw driver to break the rock into smaller pieces or create nice caves and holes. This is realy easy with porous dry rock. Then throw the scraps into the fuge for pod city lol.

llama roadkill
The cool thing about dry rock is that it's very easy to stack so it is secure. When your get the tank and rock, put some egg crate ($8 home depot for 4'x2' piece in lighting section) in the bottom of the tank, then stack the rocks on top of that. The egg crate will protect the glass from scratches or cracks of a rock falls. Then you can carefully stack the rocks how you like. You could also use aquarium epoxy or acrylic dowels to secure the rocks, but then it gets hard if you change your aquascape. You Can also use a hammer and chisel or screw driver to break the rock into smaller pieces or create nice caves and holes. This is realy easy with porous dry rock. Then throw the scraps into the fuge for pod city lol.

Cool! I will also use some of that rubble in the fuge as the cave/home of my Leaf Scorpionfish that will take residence in the fuge! I guess it is a win/win!

Leaf scorpionfish? That's awesome. I would recommend trying for a 40b fuge then. If you get a skimmer with a small footprint (again, I recommend sca-303 from ebay) and a return section that is pretty small, you can make like a 20 gallon fuge section. Remember to keep the water level low enough so when the power goes out and the tank drains, the sump will hold enough water. This only amounts to around 3" from my 120 gallon into my 40b but it will depend on how high your overflow drain or overflow box is compared to the water level of the display tank.

llama roadkill
Leaf scorpionfish? That's awesome. I would recommend trying for a 40b fuge then. If you get a skimmer with a small footprint (again, I recommend sca-303 from ebay) and a return section that is pretty small, you can make like a 20 gallon fuge section. Remember to keep the water level low enough so when the power goes out and the tank drains, the sump will hold enough water. This only amounts to around 3" from my 120 gallon into my 40b but it will depend on how high your overflow drain or overflow box is compared to the water level of the display tank.

I still need to research plumbing, but sounds good.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden/ItemDisplay.cfm?c=2733+3&ddid=193248

I want a yellow, but green are still pretty cool.

They also had a reddish one in divers den I think.

For plumbing you could buy a glass holes overflow. I had one on my 57 that I liked but it was a little louder than I wanted. Or you can drill the bottom and silicone a full overflow box in a corner or middle. This will allow the quietest setup.

llama roadkill
They also had a reddish one in divers den I think.

For plumbing you could buy a glass holes overflow. I had one on my 57 that I liked but it was a little louder than I wanted. Or you can drill the bottom and silicone a full overflow box in a corner or middle. This will allow the quietest setup.

I may get it drilled for me. The owner of my LFS pointed me to somewhere local where they drill it cheap.

Probably too big. I'd go with the 750. And it comes with glass drill bits I think.

What return pump are you using? I like the eheim 1260/1262 but mag drives are all very good. As are quietones.

llama roadkill

Possible equipment:

Skimmer: SCA-303 or NWB-150

Return: Mag 7

Lighting (for now): AquaticLife T5 HO 4-Lamp Light Fixtures w/ Lunar LEDs. Man didn't specify length.

Sump size: 29 or 40B

Overflow: 700 gph Overflow Box Complete Kit

http://www.glass-holes.com/700-gph-Overflow-Box-Complete-Kit-gh700kit.htm

Does this all sound good? I don't think I will need a heater because it is always warm in Florida.

shanesauce

Possible equipment:

Skimmer: SCA-303 or NWB-150

Return: Mag 7

Lighting (for now): AquaticLife T5 HO 4-Lamp Light Fixtures w/ Lunar LEDs. Man didn't specify length.

Sump size: 29 or 40B

Overflow: 700 gph Overflow Box Complete Kit

http://www.glass-holes.com/700-gph-Overflow-Box-Complete-Kit-gh700kit.htm

Does this all sound good? I don't think I will need a heater because it is always warm in Florida.

Everything looks fine, I got the 700gph overflow from them and I am sure it will be enough.

I am going to be picking up the mag 7 as well, I may have to dial the flow back a bit thought because I only want 4-5x my tank volume going through the sump.

llama roadkill

Everything looks fine, I got the 700gph overflow from them and I am sure it will be enough.

I am going to be picking up the mag 7 as well, I may have to dial the flow back a bit thought because I only want 4-5x my tank volume going through the sump.

Good. Should I get the Mag 5 instead?

Also, what size bulkhead would you reccomend? I am not quite sure what the differences are.

Archived