• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
llama roadkill

This is old, but does this sound good?

Skimmer: SCA-303

1. Does it come with a pump?

2. It seems comparatively cheap? Is it worth the price?

Lights: Reef Breeders Photon32

3. Seems pretty nice, but can it support SPS and Clams?

4. What are the best optics?

If I order the Photon32 I need to order by July 1st, as that's when the sale ends. I get like $40 off. That can go towards rock and sand. I need help pretty fast!

Sca 303 comes with a pump. It works great and is very low prices. I have it on a 120 dt with 40 gallon sump heavily stocked and it works well. Definitely recommend it.

llama roadkill
Sca 303 comes with a pump. It works great and is very low prices. I have it on a 120 dt with 40 gallon sump heavily stocked and it works well. Definitely recommend it.

Great. Do you know anything about the Photon?

The photon is pretty decent, although the LEDs are not the most efficient from what I can gather on their website. It would be a good starting option if your on a budget. Or you could build a light for probably not too much more money. Check out the full spectrum led thread and my led build thread to get an idea. Led group buy does wonders, as does steves led. Do you have a controller?

Before you place an order for a tank please check Craigslist to save money if you want. You can get steals. I got my 120 for $100 plus two small frags. My brother in law just got a 80 with stand and good for $200 and its almost brand new

llama roadkill
The photon is pretty decent, although the LEDs are not the most efficient from what I can gather on their website. It would be a good starting option if your on a budget. Or you could build a light for probably not too much more money. Check out the full spectrum led thread and my led build thread to get an idea. Led group buy does wonders, as does steves led. Do you have a controller?Before you place an order for a tank please check Craigslist to save money if you want. You can get steals. I got my 120 for $100 plus two small frags. My brother in law just got a 80 with stand and good for $200 and its almost brand new

That's the thing...I suck when it comes to DIY. Could they support at least moderate light SPS and Clams? Like Deresa?

Yeah they could probably support it just fine. But it will run a little hot and you'll have to run at a high power. Have you looked at kessils? You can get them used for a pretty good price.

llama roadkill
Yeah they could probably support it just fine. But it will run a little hot and you'll have to run at a high power. Have you looked at kessils? You can get them used for a pretty good price.

Will do. The Photon will be a backup.

For kessils you will need 3 of the a150s. They have awesome coloration but are not controllable. I had them on my old tank and loved them. If you go with a350 you will need 2 I think. Those are controllable

llama roadkill
For kessils you will need 3 of the a150s. They have awesome coloration but are not controllable. I had them on my old tank and loved them. If you go with a350 you will need 2 I think. Those are controllable

A single A350 is $400...

llama roadkill
Lol. That's why I mentioned a150 first. But you could go with the photon as well

Would you say Photon could work long term? I will run a couple fans on it. I probably won't have very high light requiring SPS or Clams as I am still technically a beginner. I will have Monti Caps, though. Those are a must.

Then yes. I had sps under stock power compacts on my jbj nanotube that worked just fine. With sps I think it's more of a balancing act. They will love in lower light, but will not thrive. As Long as you have stable water and good water quality they should be ok. And that light is by no means weak. It's just not as efficient. I had a led setup with 56 3watt bridgelux LEDs on my 120 and it grew everything just fine. In fact I burned some sps with it.

llama roadkill
Then yes. I had sps under stock power compacts on my jbj nanotube that worked just fine. With sps I think it's more of a balancing act. They will love in lower light, but will not thrive. As Long as you have stable water and good water quality they should be ok. And that light is by no means weak. It's just not as efficient. I had a led setup with 56 3watt bridgelux LEDs on my 120 and it grew everything just fine. In fact I burned some sps with it.

So will I see growth or will they just survive?

You will see growth.

Whoah! I just realized the 48" photon has 102 LEDs. That's a lot of power. You'll be fine lol. When you first set it up start at like 50 percent and once you have coral slowly raise it a couple percent a week. You don't want to burn any coral, especially if they come from low light tanks

llama roadkill
You will see growth. Whoah! I just realized the 48" photon has 102 LEDs. That's a lot of power. You'll be fine lol. When you first set it up start at like 50 percent and once you have coral slowly raise it a couple percent a week. You don't want to burn any coral, especially if they come from low light tanks

Should I get the Photon48 instead? Not much more money than Photon32?

What optics?

You could get away with the photon 32 if your tank is 48" long. My old fixture was 28" with 120 optics and it worked on my 48" tank. So I would think it will work with 120 degree optics but you may have some dark spots in the corners.

If you go with the 48" photon you won't have dark spots, but may have light spill over. You can email them and ask what they would recommend as I am not real good with deciding on optics. I personally never use them (LEDs have 120 degree lenses as a standard)

llama roadkill
You could get away with the photon 32 if your tank is 48" long. My old fixture was 28" with 120 optics and it worked on my 48" tank. So I would think it will work with 120 degree optics but you may have some dark spots in the corners.

If you go with the 48" photon you won't have dark spots, but may have light spill over. You can email them and ask what they would recommend as I am not real good with deciding on optics. I personally never use them (LEDs have 120 degree lenses as a standard)

I can customize the optics as 60, 90, or 120. Which of those will each the whole tank?

I'm not an optics expert but with optics, just remember that most of the light will fall in half of the angle of the optic. So half the light is within 60 degrees of the 120 degree optics. If you got the photon 32 I would think the 120 degree optics would work well hung a few inches above the tank. This will allow the best light distribution, but will not have the best penetration. You may be limited to sps and clams in the top half of the tank. If you got the photon48 then I would go with 90 degree optics and hang a little higher. You'll have full coverage and much stronger lighting. That part is up to your budget. You will also probably be able to grow anything anywhere

llama roadkill
I'm not an optics expert but with optics, just remember that most of the light will fall in half of the angle of the optic. So half the light is within 60 degrees of the 120 degree optics. If you got the photon 32 I would think the 120 degree optics would work well hung a few inches above the tank. This will allow the best light distribution, but will not have the best penetration. You may be limited to sps and clams in the top half of the tank. If you got the photon48 then I would go with 90 degree optics and hang a little higher. You'll have full coverage and much stronger lighting. That part is up to your budget. You will also probably be able to grow anything anywhere

I keep trying to explain to my mom that we would end up saving money by buying LEDs...T5s would end up costing more than $200 a year in bulbs.

So 90 is the best?

llama roadkill

I just asked Reef Breeders on Reef Central what optics but no reply yet. I think 90 would be the best.

I vote 90. Remember, it also depends on how high you hang them. You can make any optic work as long as you hang them at the right height.

You will save a TON of money with led. You are cutting down on temp fluctuations which will reduce need for a chiller, you will use a fraction of the electricity, and you won't have to spend money on bulbs every six months. LEDs will last 10 years or more of properly cooled. If you got a halide you would spend around $100 a year on bulbs and if you went t5 you would spend even more. Also you would be running around 400 watts in halide or t5 compared to your LEDs which will be less than half that since you won't run at 100%. That should sell her on the LEDs alone lol

llama roadkill

I vote 90. Remember, it also depends on how high you hang them. You can make any optic work as long as you hang them at the right height.

You will save a TON of money with led. You are cutting down on temp fluctuations which will reduce need for a chiller, you will use a fraction of the electricity, and you won't have to spend money on bulbs every six months. LEDs will last 10 years or more of properly cooled. If you got a halide you would spend around $100 a year on bulbs and if you went t5 you would spend even more. Also you would be running around 400 watts in halide or t5 compared to your LEDs which will be less than half that since you won't run at 100%. That should sell her on the LEDs alone lol

She just needs me write everything down and create a presentation. I mean, if they are going to provide me some money (I have already saved a lot) I need to show them what they are getting. They also want to help support my future in Marine Biology.

Also, I did some calculations. The 6-Bulb T5 Fixture I was looking at was $300. Every 6 months is $120. In 10 years that is $1500, plus electricity bills AND chiller, so around $2700-$3000! In 10 years with the LED will probably cost about $600. HUGE DIFFERENCE!

llama roadkill

Is this good for flow?

2 Hydor Koralia 1500 GPH Pumps

Hydor Koralia Smart Wave Pump Controller

That creates 3000 GPH. Remember that I want to support SPS. Is that enough flow?

Archived