SaltCritters.com

1stimereefer's 1st tank- RETIRED

FlowerMama

I'm getting 3 treats in the mail on Tues. I've excited, esp after my rhodactis split, let's hope these do well also.

I don't have anything with these colors.

Stans1_zps0c5594f0.jpg

Would be most amazing if I could get these to split!!!!

That color goes with this!!!

StansDisco1_zpse2e7020c.jpg

But I'm most excited about this mushroom. I might have to call her Aunt Bee.

StansBeeDisco_zpsbbae0908.jpg

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mr. Microscope

Be very very careful what silicone you choose. Most have an antifungal agent that will crash your tank and kill all invertebrates. Even stuff that says 100% silicone should be questioned. There are two GE's out there. GEI and GEII. GEII will kill. GEI Kitchen and Bathroom (red and white bottle) will KILL. GEI Window and Door (blue and white bottle) is the right stuff. There's other stuff you can get from glasscages that is safe. There are a lot of youtube videos on putting together aquariums and installing baffles. Good luck!

Be very very careful what silicone you choose. Most have an antifungal agent that will crash your tank and kill all invertebrates. Even stuff that says 100% silicone should be questioned. There are two GE's out there. GEI and GEII. GEII will kill. GEI Kitchen and Bathroom (red and white bottle) will KILL. GEI Window and Door (blue and white bottle) is the right stuff. There's other stuff you can get from glasscages that is safe. There are a lot of youtube videos on putting together aquariums and installing baffles. Good luck!

so GEI Blue and White bottle for Window and Door. I'll write that down, thank you.

is it this at Lowes then?

077027050004lg.jpg

Mr. Microscope

so GEI Blue and White bottle for Window and Door. I'll write that down, thank you.

077027050004lg.jpg

I'm not sure if Lowes will have it, but probably. Pay attention to color. I accidentally got the white when I bought it the first time. I think it comes in clear, white, and black.

Even with GE1, make sure to read the fine print. You never know if the change the formula.

077027050004lg.jpg

Or just spend an extra $5 or so for aquarium silicone and not worry about it.

If the aquarium silicone is easier to use then I don't care if it costs more. I did find the other stuff online at Lowes so at least I know they do have that as well.

BattleAthletics

Or just spend an extra $5 or so for aquarium silicone and not worry about it.

I had ordered 5 tubes of marineland silicone just because of that.

I had ordered 5 tubes of marineland silicone just because of that.

I don't understand how people can be so cheap that they don't spend a couple extra bucks a tube for aquarium specific stuff, sure other stuff can work but is it really worth the risk to save $5?

BattleAthletics

I don't understand how people can be so cheap that they don't spend a couple extra bucks a tube for aquarium specific stuff, sure other stuff can work but is it really worth the risk to save $5?

+1,000,000,000,000,000

Thank you all, and that reminds me, speaking of the sump/fuge, I might as well put water in it tonight and make sure it doesn't leak. I don't wanna be surprised later. One step at a time.

Mr. Microscope

Thank you all, and that reminds me, speaking of the sump/fuge, I might as well put water in it tonight and make sure it doesn't leak. I don't wanna be surprised later. One step at a time.

48 hours 'll do ya.

I won't be ready to work on the baffles this weekend but I at least have to check for water leaks just as the plain tank sits on my counter top. I'm not much of a DIY so that's why I'm thinking of a eshopps nano overflow. Would the water returning back to the tank go back up to it and flow out it? I've never seen one in person. only saw it online.

I'm getting 3 treats in the mail on Tues. I've excited, esp after my rhodactis split, let's hope these do well also.

I don't have anything with these colors.

Stans1_zps0c5594f0.jpg

Would be most amazing if I could get these to split!!!!

That color goes with this!!!

StansDisco1_zpse2e7020c.jpg

But I'm most excited about this mushroom. I might have to call her Aunt Bee.

StansBeeDisco_zpsbbae0908.jpg

Where the heck are these coming from? They look AMAZING! I have never seen mushrooms like that and those zoas are really awesome. I really need to break down and make an order online somewhere....I can't live with only Shawn's stuff anymore haha.

Funny, I called up FlCandy to avoid going to Salcritters sale and then I wound up looking in the classified here under livestock and I saw WYSWYG by stansbery. I could NOT stop myself. I think I'm really sick! His stuff is gorgeous. And $35 is still the most common shipping so what's the difference. His stuff is killer and I have no will. He told me he specializes in discosomas.

Awesome tank. Good luck with everything in your life. I know how hard it is to have lost a close relative(I found out about your husband from the beginning of your thread)

Thank you. This hobby has helped keep my mind active alright. Woke up today and my 10 gallon had no leaks so I'll be good to go to get some aquarium silicone. I still have to order the eshopps nano overflow and one of those returns that puts flow back in. I'll do that today when I get back home probably. I'd like to try putting the sump/refugium together next weekend and fill up the 34 w/ water and see if everything works. OH, duh, 3/4 in flexible tubing from Lowes. Necessary.

Awesome progress in here!!!!! I'm glad you decided to go with the aquarium silicone. I wouldn't trust anything but. Too many horror stories.

Those corals coming in on Tuesday are amazing!!!!!! The colors all compliment each other perfectly. :)

Can't wait. Randi and I are going down to a shop an hr from here, I want to ask the guy if he can show me a few things w/ /the 2 razors they have over a frag tank, make it lighter, darker, so I can see what it does. And will see if I can find a mystery coral for Inglostsurfer as he's working today.

Can't wait. Randi and I are going down to a shop an hr from here, I want to ask the guy if he can show me a few things w/ /the 2 razors they have over a frag tank, make it lighter, darker, so I can see what it does. And will see if I can find a mystery coral for Inglostsurfer as he's working today.

You haven't left yet. It's not too late for me to come along!!! :lol:

You haven't left yet. It's not too late for me to come along!!! :lol:

It's 1:34pm, sure, you can just walk over!!!! RUN! RUN!!I thought you'd like those mushrooms. I hope I could have luck and have babies with either one of those mushrooms. If I do you and Randi have first dibs on a baby. I just have to move some gsp I have over and I have like a 3"x 2" space under the zoa bridge temporarily until the 34 is going. and the zoa will go on zoa bridge.

It's 1:34pm, sure, you can just walk over!!!! RUN! RUN!!I thought you'd like those mushrooms. I hope I could have luck and have babies with either one of those mushrooms. If I do you and Randi have first dibs on a baby. I just have to move some gsp I have over and I have like a 3"x 2" space under the zoa bridge temporarily until the 34 is going. and the zoa will go on zoa bridge.

You're 3 hours ahead of me. I could almost make it on time. :)

I'd love a baby someday!!!!! Those are so unique looking.

Have fun shopping today. We are shopping for a new cage for Alduin the crested gecko today. She's finally outgrown her first home. :)

And God said,,,What can I do to get some light around here????

Maxspect 20" 16,000

1. I like the idea of ramping up for morning and night.
  2. like it's sleekness

Kessil A350W

1. love the shimmer -that it looks like a tidal pool or ocean shallows
  2. like the fact it takes up minimal air space above the tank

But....I don't like that I'd have to take the Maxspect light and mount off every time I need to put my hand in the tank. I don't like that it's made in China as I feel German products are made with more precision and research. My parents are from Poland and I've just always heard great things about German products.

In seeing both lights for the 2nd time to an LFS that had both lights over tanks, I liked the color better of the Kessil . I thought the Maxspect was more lavender (it was like 3:30 and he said it was starting the ramp down for the store to close for 6) but I was also there at noon - 1:3) and it wasn't much different). I asked the gentleman which lights showed the most growth and color in corals? Kessil. He said Kessil has more of a spectrum.

Spectrum is more important to me than ramping up. I did without any ramping up feature in my Par 38 bulb and the corals are doing well so at night I can just do my own dial down for an hr for sunset time. And I can do 10K to completely actinic and change each color still independently. And the best part was that the sticker on it was no different there than online so it's not like the guy was really making anything on the light,. Certainly there's tax but $25- I mean he's not making anything. I don't mind supporting an lfs that I know can get some good lighting in. I don't know why but the Maxspect had an extra $30 attached to it than prices online.

003_zpsf7be11ee.jpg

I do believe that it will work well over my 30 x 18 x16 tank. He said if the shimmer is too much for me I can lower the intensity- the tank they had it over had high turbulence at the first 3 inches of water and it looked like you could get a seizure looking at the tank. My circulation will be in the bottom part of the 1st third of the tank so it will not be rippling the surface as much. And the owner said if I felt it was too much shimmer still I could bring the light back, and he agreed and knew that I wouldn't be putting up the light til 11/1 or so. That is good customer service so I felt good about my purchase.

Archived