Jump to content
xellos88

My 12gal Bonsai Reef

Recommended Posts

Matteo

This is so rad

Share this post


Link to post
xellos88

Sunday shots. Was supposed to go to the beach but the weather didn't like my plans.

 

IMG_20190721_094544-01.thumb.jpeg.4c87d04df696f44616f72290dcbf4bb7.jpeg

 

IMG_20190721_090426-01.thumb.jpeg.5a3bf058feab210548077cf114c8dc0a.jpeg

  • Like 5
  • Wow 6

Share this post


Link to post
allesluge

It is amazing 🤩

Share this post


Link to post
xellos88
3 minutes ago, allesluge said:

It is amazing 🤩

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Christopher Marks

Gorgeous as always @xellos88! Great to see you, I hope your summer is goo g well!

Share this post


Link to post
xellos88
On 7/22/2019 at 3:58 AM, Christopher Marks said:

Gorgeous as always @xellos88! Great to see you, I hope your summer is goo g well!

Thanks! Summer was extra hot, but otherwise ok.

Share this post


Link to post
fissues

That 'scape is sick. I really like how this one is coming along. 

Share this post


Link to post
xellos88

Yay!

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
xellos88

Their 4th clutch. I guess they're just gonna keep doing this.

 

IMG_20190901_090451-01.thumb.jpeg.52b94fa16bf50b56d652257d9935fb8a.jpeg

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Wonderboy

Wonderful little setup! Was a pleasure to read through! Looking forward to more  :]

Share this post


Link to post
xellos88

Latest Full Tank Shot. I'm considering adding a Dottyback to liven things up a little.

DSC03658_01.thumb.jpg.babb791df7e7cc88d5b1f3f5b19e4c83.jpg

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Nano sapiens

Looking good! 

 

The Dottyback idea, umm, I tried that in my 12g (Strawberry or Bicolor...too far back and can't remember), but it was just a little terror harassing anything that moved...

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Tired

Oh, wow, you weren't kiddin' about that bonsai thing! 

 

Dottybacks are generally not the best option for small tanks with other fish. They're territorial little creatures. Now and then you can find a less aggressive individual, but mostly they want to keep their own space. 

 

What about a yellow clown goby instead? They're active, lots of hopping and cute motions, and generally not aggressive. Or a Hector's goby if you can find one, they hover around. Or, if you want something a little unusual in the reef world, how about a molly? Midwater, active fish, with a bonus of them happily eating up any and all hair algae that shows up.

Share this post


Link to post
xellos88
2 hours ago, Nano sapiens said:

Looking good! 

 

The Dottyback idea, umm, I tried that in my 12g (Strawberry or Bicolor...too far back and can't remember), but it was just a little terror harassing anything that moved...

My other options are a sixline or pink streaked wrasse. I actually want the dottyback because I read it eats small crabs, and the last sixline wrasse I got was murdered by a crab in this tank. The crab has since been caught and removed, but I think it's unavoidable to have crabs in this tank because I use unfiltered NSW. (somehow I always end up having one somewhere)

I hope he'll be a smart dottyback and not dive into the carpet nem to harass the clowns. 

My last other-fish was a yellowtail damsel and he was also not-so-friendly but he was smart and avoided the nem. He liked to dig though, so that caused issues.

 

 

37 minutes ago, Tired said:

Oh, wow, you weren't kiddin' about that bonsai thing! 

 

Dottybacks are generally not the best option for small tanks with other fish. They're territorial little creatures. Now and then you can find a less aggressive individual, but mostly they want to keep their own space. 

 

What about a yellow clown goby instead? They're active, lots of hopping and cute motions, and generally not aggressive. Or a Hector's goby if you can find one, they hover around. Or, if you want something a little unusual in the reef world, how about a molly? Midwater, active fish, with a bonus of them happily eating up any and all hair algae that shows up.

Unfortunately, I can't have any type of goby in this tank because of the carpet anemone. Mollies are a unique idea though, I might try that. 🙂

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Opotter

I really love your aquascape and how this tank has grown in.   I have to ask.. what rock are you using to get that bonsai effect with your zoas?   It’s so freaking unique looking! How is it mounted?  Magnets to glass?  Enlighten me!

Share this post


Link to post
xellos88
2 hours ago, Opotter said:

I really love your aquascape and how this tank has grown in.   I have to ask.. what rock are you using to get that bonsai effect with your zoas?   It’s so freaking unique looking! How is it mounted?  Magnets to glass?  Enlighten me!

The rocks are coral rubble glued together with hot glue and reinforced with epoxy clay. It's mounted on the back wall using magnets. For the in-tank magnets, I used the magnets that came along with my wavemaker since they're safely sealed. They are attached to the rubble the same way, using hot glue and reinforced with aqua clay. The outside magnets are neodymium magnets, which are quite strong and can hold shear force. It's really important to use strong magnets so the structure doesn't rotate because most of the weight is at the top.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Opotter

Very very cool!!  Thank you for sharing!  

Share this post


Link to post
WV Reefer
12 hours ago, xellos88 said:

Latest Full Tank Shot. I'm considering adding a Dottyback to liven things up a little.

DSC03658_01.thumb.jpg.babb791df7e7cc88d5b1f3f5b19e4c83.jpg

 

Looks great as usual. 😊

 

my Dottyback is a model citizen and such a bright pop of color in the tank. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Elizabeth94

Orchid dottybacks seem to be more peaceful than other varieties. I had one in a ten gallon with other fish and they did fine together.  The dottyback was added last. So beautiful. 

 

Everything looks so lush and happy, nice job! 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
xellos88
On 9/8/2019 at 10:11 PM, WV Reefer said:

 

Looks great as usual. 😊

 

my Dottyback is a model citizen and such a bright pop of color in the tank. 

Cool! I didn't know you had one! (I follow your 12g long tank)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
WV Reefer
18 minutes ago, xellos88 said:

Cool! I didn't know you had one! (I follow your 12g long tank)

 

I have it in my 75 gallon tank and it certainly isn’t afraid of much but has never been aggressive with the smaller fish or critters.

I’ve seen several people on here have them in nanos....... I just can’t remember who right now. 😄

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
xellos88

Nem needed to rest its crown on something, so added some clam shells and did a bit of rescaping.

 

IMG_20190915_085001-01.thumb.jpeg.727b5c79a361e529ee1f677f95368733.jpeg

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
tran

very nice

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recommended Discussions

×
×
  • Create New...