SaltCritters.com

My Bonsai Reef

sam_the_reefer

sam_the_reefer
5 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

Gorgeous!!! Very creative and peaceful looking reef

Thanks! It's actually a reef full of aggressive inhabitants keeping each other in check. 🙂

3 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Glad it’s going well so far! It’s beautiful!

Thank you!

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...
sam_the_reefer

Nem is bleaching again, but I've learned not to panic. I think it's the phosguard.

It's been a while since I've seen the Yumas fully expanded and they're huge! 

IMG_20191020_155701-01.thumb.jpeg.0057f6212af62be653eaa1d8b5156f74.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Wow 2
  • 3 months later...
sam_the_reefer

Sporadic update. As someone else put it: my dottyback took a leap of faith, and now he's free. 😞 I also gave away most of my green shrooms to de-clutter. So far tank's still looking good and chugging along. I'm thinking of buying a HOB skimmer for this tank as it's getting harder to source limewood airstones.

DSC00212_01.jpg

DSC00237_01.jpg

DSC00239_01.jpg

• Like 4
3 hours ago, xellos88 said:

Sporadic update. As someone else put it: my dottyback took a leap of faith, and now he's free. 😞 I also gave away most of my green shrooms to de-clutter. So far tank's still looking good and chugging along. I'm thinking of buying a HOB skimmer for this tank as it's getting harder to source limewood airstones.

DSC00212_01.jpg

DSC00237_01.jpg

DSC00239_01.jpg

everything looks great! 😊

Sorry about the Dottyback. 

• 1 month later...
sam_the_reefer

Had time to clean things up and take good photos because of home quarantine. I thinned out the pesky zoas on the top left clump and transplanted some of the better colored ones there.

DSC00279_01.thumb.jpg.2b7a64d98d5117f49cc7ef9c1ce5b3e0.jpg

The couple are still laying eggs.

DSC00302.thumb.jpg.adcb9809eda9569ea50e205aece1f3a3.jpg

And these guys are still fluffy.

DSC00353.thumb.jpg.dec6a3728a89100f4c57c00c530cf9e7.jpg

• Like 5
  • Wow 1

Still a very nice and unique looking tank! 🙂

And for the first time I realize that the branch is not one piece, but attached at the back of the tank. 😅

sam_the_reefer
1 minute ago, DNR88 said:

And for the first time I realize that the branch is not one piece, but attached at the back of the tank. 😅

Fooled ya. Yup, it's attached to the back by neodymium magnets.

Damn. Your tank is just so crisp and clean. 

These little tanks that have that crisp clear aesthetic always make me so jealous and makes my tank feel dirty 

Super cool! 

• Like 1
sam_the_reefer
9 hours ago, Matteo said:

Damn. Your tank is just so crisp and clean. 

I have time to clean it because of the quarantine. 🙂

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
sam_the_reefer

A local reefer was selling his used Prime HD for a good price, so I jumped on it. After much reading and video-watching, I've decided to use the ab+ setting by BRS. My goal right now is to get the solid purple under-color of the Gigantea back, so if science says this very blue setting is the best for corals then I'm willing to try it. It's very blue though...like I need to really get close to clearly see the orange on my clownfish, but the corals really fluoresce under the blue. Hopefully the blue will help with the mushroom coloration too, It was originally a yellow color, but has turned golden orange-ish. Did I mention it's very blue?

• 4 weeks later...
sam_the_reefer

Things are still chugging along. I light-shocked and lost some of my zoas, but some nubs survived and are now recovering. Everything seems to have adapted to the new light and spectrum for now, though I do seem to be experiencing a mini-cycle after I did a 50% water change a week ago. I added some purigen in my HOB to help out. I still need more practice in taking photos and editing them to properly document how they really look like. The photos don't seem to show the orange pop of the Yumas and yellow tint of the shrooms.

DSC00583.jpg.8c3d4535df90c38273b227ad0a8f1aba.jpg

DSC00563.jpg.2982a1b6202bec02d95810ac6dd40a39.jpg

DSC00550.jpg.28f5dfc88a12e9c9f7d8b7c10ad912c3.jpg

DSC00543.jpg.44ae7ed70f3e5e6552dc40d48ba016dd.jpg

• Like 3
  • Wow 1
  • sam_the_reefer changed the title to My Bonsai Reef