ReefCleaners.org

Shifting Dullness, (PicO III)

William

Got shipping confirmation !!!!! :P

But this means i need to get moving on a stand. I can buy a Biocube 29 stand for pretty cheap on amazon, but Im not in love with it. I have been looking on craigslist for a cool one, but so far no luck. I know I can use a salona stand, but dont really want to spend 250+ on the stand, as I still need to get the lights, and I am currently a Medical Student, so not a huge cashflow.

Also thinking about livestock now.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I voted Gnome skimmer (I think Nanotopia mentioned the new IM SkimMate isn't great out-of-box,) and I've just ordered a 52mm version for my tank from Calen @ Gnome Glass.

I also voted for the R420R Nano, but that was before I realized Dave's Nano Boxes were on the list. I would be very happy with either. I've owned a Kessil, and while great for the pricepoint I would steer clear if you want controllability.

Dave told me he could do a cool setup, that should work with a VDM for my apex, but cost would be around $400 for that while the Razor would be around $300. Have not decided yet, and since I learned that the Razor nano might now fit on the pico (i dont want to hang it) it is looking like a better option. Just waiting on some funds to come in before I progress.

As far as the skimmer is concerned, ill probably go with the know for the moment (next 6 weeks), but i dont think the 32mm would be enough for the tank.

Please pardon my noob question but- How much time will this Vida rock take to get all the coraline/ purple algae on them if you're starting fresh ?

I really like the idea of using those beautiful man-made rocks.

Is it possible that you buy these rocks and ask some fellow hobbyist to put it in their sump (wont say show tank. haha) to get the coraline algae ? I mean is it a normal thing to ask for ? Do people do this for money ? i mean I pay someone to keep my vida rock in their sump until it gets matured

This is my very first stage in Nano reef world where I Google every phrase that you guys say and being a freshwater hobbyist, weird ideas come to my mind. Sorry for that.

Dave told me he could do a cool setup, that should work with a VDM for my apex, but cost would be around $400 for that while the Razor would be around $300. Have not decided yet, and since I learned that the Razor nano might now fit on the pico (i dont want to hang it) it is looking like a better option. Just waiting on some funds to come in before I progress.

As far as the skimmer is concerned, ill probably go with the know for the moment (next 6 weeks), but i dont think the 32mm would be enough for the tank.

I was really really close to having dave make me a light, in the end I went with the razor to save money. Whenever I upgrade to a larger tank (down the road quite a bit) I will have dave make me an LED/T5 hybrid.

Please pardon my noob question but- How much time will this Vida rock take to get all the coraline/ purple algae on them if you're starting fresh ?

I really like the idea of using those beautiful man-made rocks.

Is it possible that you buy these rocks and ask some fellow hobbyist to put it in their sump (wont say show tank. haha) to get the coraline algae ? I mean is it a normal thing to ask for ? Do people do this for money ? i mean I pay someone to keep my vida rock in their sump until it gets matured

This is my very first stage in Nano reef world where I Google every phrase that you guys say and being a freshwater hobbyist, weird ideas come to my mind. Sorry for that.

No reason why you can't. I'm sure someone on your local tee club will Let you do it, but you do take the risk of introducing any pests that they may have in their tank. I will be moving the contents of my 8 into it so I will put the love rock from the old tank in there or a month or so, so that I can seed the vida rock

Awesome! I also voted for the Razor before seeing Nanobox! Both are good choices. I also voted for the 9004. I had one for a while and it worked great in a AIO and a sump for a while!

SouthFlorida_Tron

9002 or 9004.... why not think about the radion... and NO to black sand. absolutely not... so hideous....

Go barebottom on this bad boy! Substrate is a nightmare.

this

I think the radion is overpriced and overpowered for what I need. the display is 18x14x16 I think i the radion would be overkill. If they came out with a radion nano i would be all over it. but 600+ is expensive.

what about one of the kessil lights...

The a150's are not controllable, and the larger ones that are, are around $450 and im not sure i want to spend that much. Unless you know of a better option?

SouthFlorida_Tron

The a150's are not controllable, and the larger ones that are, are around $450 and im not sure i want to spend that much. Unless you know of a better option?

ai nano... but who cares if its such a small tank and price is an issue... spend the 150 or whatever on the a150, put it on a timer, and voila....

But there's a lot more to controllability then on/off.

If I was in your shoes, having already owned a Kessil a150w, AI Nano, AI Sol, & R420R: Go with a R420R Nano or one of Dave's lights (choice imo is dependent on your budget)

hes on a strict budget according to what he has given so far

Ah, yes. I'd recommend the R420R Nano then. Preferably at an LFS so you can avoid shipping costs. The nice thing about Maxspect's fixtures is there is no hidden cost. You don't need a controller (AI $80) or a mount (AI $20-50) - infact Maxspect fixtures come with two mounting options for no additional cost!

That being said, I've been able to pickup used Kessils really really really cheap (talking $150 including mount.)

I don't mind spending money if the marginal gain is worth the marginal increase in price. I would like it to have some controllability, dimability, and full spectrum. I don't need it to be able to do the light show for a daft punk concert, but I want it to be a bit more technogically advanced than an on/off switch .

The AI Sol and Nano are out because I don't like the spectrum they produce. The hydra ($500 after purchase of light and controller) is more than I want to spend. The Kessil would be about the same, or more if you factor in the cost of a vdm. The Kessil a150 doesn't cover all the aspects I want. The razor does ($290), and the nano-box ($300 + $vdm) does. So the real question is, does the spectral output, design, visual appearance of the light, and integration with my apex warrant the $100 extra I would spend on the nano-box compared to the razor? The razor is 60w and the nano-box is 44.

Archived