SaltCritters.com

4.5 gallon Trimmadise

Reef Fever

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm pretty surr everyone is wondering how your getting such crazy growth! ! And if you don't mind I have a few questions myself on the tank.

I'm a first time reefer and have a 5g nano. Just wondering if your running the lights at 100% or is it on a dimmer? Also what saltmix are you using? I get mine at big als and might start mixing my own. Are you dosing anything like amino acid or trace, etc? I wish my tank can look like yours :<

I'm pretty surr everyone is wondering how your getting such crazy growth! ! And if you don't mind I have a few questions myself on the tank.

I'm a first time reefer and have a 5g nano. Just wondering if your running the lights at 100% or is it on a dimmer? Also what saltmix are you using? I get mine at big als and might start mixing my own. Are you dosing anything like amino acid or trace, etc? I wish my tank can look like yours :<

the secret is clean RO, weekly water changes and good quality salt

The LEDs are as basic as I could get them from rapid led so they are at 100%. I use Red Sea coral pro in all my reef tanks and swear by it. No other salt I have used compares. And honestly doing 40-60% weekly or biweekly water changes will get you results like this with no dosing or anything. It always gets me how lazy some people are with water changes on these small systems. A 50% change on a system this small is so painless there's no excuse not to do one!

I've been doing weekly water changes but I'm guessing it isn't enough(5-10%). I believe big al is using instant ocean so I might start mixing my own. I also get my ro water from big als and I tested it with a tds meter is the ro water and it said 003. Is 0 tds a lot better or is 003 passable? I'm using 3ups on seperate drivers for thw RB and NW. I can only run it at 40% RB and 15% NW. Anything higher seems to bleach :(

I'd invest in your own to unit. You know yourself what the tds is reading and you know you've calibrated your tds meter correctly. I always shoot for 0 but that's just me. I would do 30-40% water change at the least. There's no reason not to on a 5 gallon system. When you employ good water change habits you can significantly reduce the need to supplement with things. I do daily to every other day 5 gallon water changes on my 104 so I essentially do 30% weekly. I don't dose other than a splash of liquid calcium with water top offs on days I don't do water changes

I've been doing weekly water changes but I'm guessing it isn't enough(5-10%). I believe big al is using instant ocean so I might start mixing my own. I also get my ro water from big als and I tested it with a tds meter is the ro water and it said 003. Is 0 tds a lot better or is 003 passable? I'm using 3ups on seperate drivers for thw RB and NW. I can only run it at 40% RB and 15% NW. Anything higher seems to bleach :(

thanks! for the input! glad there are so many good reefers here willing to help! :) i'll try the 30%water change on saturday and see how everything goes! :D

so some weird/bad/good news? over the last two days the aggressive tri-color started going necrotic. All other acros are doing excellent. Im curious as to why it happened but maybe attribute it to a self-induced catastrophe. the tricolors base was encrusting larger and larger each day it seemed. on either side of it were two other acro species so im thinking the stress of trying to fight on both fronts resulted in its demise. Im actually kind of glad it died because it was posing a problem to all other coral around it

so essentially i will call this a victory!

http://s289.photobucket.com/user/omgitsjeremy/media/tricolor_zps4d99b5fe.jpg.html'>tricolor_zps4d99b5fe.jpg

• 1 month later...

Any new battles between corals?

something nuked most of the acros, thinkin maybe it was the blue velvet nudi that the powerhead blended..all the birdsnests are fine though

Great little tank you have going there. Looks like you are having some good luck with the green acro, it's grown a lot from page 5 to page 7. Keep up the good work.

something nuked most of the acros, thinkin maybe it was the blue velvet nudi that the powerhead blended..all the birdsnests are fine though

sorry to hear that... don't you have another larger tank that you get frags from though?

sorry to hear that... don't you have another larger tank that you get frags from though?

ya thats why im not too torn up about it lol

cell pic:

post-80072-0-11409900-1389767157_thumb.jpg

Oh,I see what you did there lol. That thing looks good !!! I say turn the nano into and all sps creation :)

haha i would by that would require all new rock so for now it is what it is!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks guys. Had an accident and nuked some of my acros so it's in recovery mode. I need to seriously trim some stuff in there lol

I love seeing updates on this tank,everything grows so good !!! That growth on the birdsnest is crazy. Hopefully the acro's recover though !!!

How's everything else looking ?

I love seeing updates on this tank,everything grows so good !!! That growth on the birdsnest is crazy. Hopefully the acro's recover though !!!

How's everything else looking ?

How is the recovery going? Birdsnest taking over still...
all other corals are growing like weeds, birdsnest included. I completely lost the Mille and the tiny red planet is barely hanging on. There's also a monti cap and a rainbow pocillopora that are still doing quite well. The Xenia needs a good trimming again, that's for sure. The yellow parazoanthus are starting to creep up the front of the glass so those need cutting as well lol

Archived