Top Shelf Aquatics

Tronic's Japanese ADA 60P (wet again)

Raturo

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Deleted User 4

You're damn right you're sorry! :P

Well he said he checked for the film, what more can I say? I've never bought a sealed apex before lolol!

Drift Monkey

Well he said he checked for the film, what more can I say? I've never bought a sealed apex before lolol!

I know protective film when I see it! :lol:

I know protective film when I see it! :lol:
Awesome, that is what I thought when I first saw it. I will pick at it a lot harder when I get back from work.

Very nice setup. What happened to the original scape?
I was kind of torn, I liked that original scape but I also wanted something a little more open and so I figured I would try this out for a little bit.
  • 3 months later...

Well, I ended up have to break this tank down due to work. Hopefully, I will be able to start this back up next spring. I will admit that the temp swings that I encountered due to insulation in Japan proved to be a big challenge. Nonetheless, I am looking forward to the restart.

• 3 months later...

I am still a few months from being able to restart the tank, but I got caught up with BRS sales this week... I got a couple of dosing pumps to add to the equipment list when I get back. I think I might end up picking up an AI Hyrdra fifty-two as well before the restart.

My question is has anyone ever had luck with reusing sand? I took it out, rinsed it out and put it in a storage container. So I know it is dead sand now but I am trying to figure out if it is worth just ordering new live sand when I return? Also I ended up IM reactors to run carbon with but my sump isn't tall enough to run it effectly so I am thinking about just tossing a bag of chemi-pure elite in there instead when it gets to that point again.

My friend emptied his Biocube 14 (just took the fish & coral out and drained, no cleaning or rinsing) and let it dry out for 4 months. I rinsed the sand when I bought it from him, and within a couple of weeks the sand was definitely alive again. I just seeded the tank with some established rock from my other tank and coralline, bacteria & feather dusters colonized the entire Biocube very quickly.

Reordering live sand might speed up your cycle a bit, but what's a week or two in the life of a reef anyway?

Can't wait to see this get filled, I love my 60-P Nature Aquarium, I can't wait until I have the space to get one for a reef!

• 2 months later...

I am getting closer to being able to restart this tank. In fact I am starting to order up some equipment for when I return. I already ordered some BRS 2-part dosing pumps but I am happy to say that I finally decided on a new light. I am going to go with a Nano-Box with the gooseneck so I can mount it on the back of this tank. Additionally, given that I am still a couple months from being able to put live stock back in the tank I am going to try and see if I can get one with a Bluefish LED controller. :D

Man that stand is really nice, do you have any specs on that? Might have to build it hah.

Looking forward to seeing this stocked... Tokyo eh.. Japanese corals... I expect to see this TOTM, not to raise the bar or anything ;) haha

Man that stand is really nice, do you have any specs on that? Might have to build it hah.

Looking forward to seeing this stocked... Tokyo eh.. Japanese corals... I expect to see this TOTM, not to raise the bar or anything ;) haha

I do like the stand I just wish it was bigger. It not MDF so it cost a little too much. I'll give you all the sizes but you might have to wait a month or so until I return.

More equipment will be purchased soon and I am starting to realize that I do not have the real estate to mount the APEX, 2 energy bar 8’s, 2 BRS dosing pumps, my ATO, I/O Breakout box, MP-10 controller, WXM, PM2 module, the angry octopus of cables that goes with that stuff and whatever else I happen to accidentally click “add to cart” on the tank stand itself. In fact, I was not a fan of how I had things set up before and that was only the MP-10 and the base APEX stuff. Now, that the tank is empty I have a chance to reflect and change things before I restart.

I am considering mounting everything to a nice-ish looking board that is not physically attached to the tank stand and having this mounted to the wall behind the tank (out of view when looking at the tank from the front) or maybe off to the side so I can have ease of access. Or maybe finding a narrow DVD or CD rack and mounting the equipment in that and keeping it off to the side of the tank. Has anyone done something like this? Did you like it? Or Hate it? Or anyone have any other thoughts on it? Pics if you got them :D

• 3 weeks later...

I finally decided on a new light for this tank. I went with a Nano-Box Duo. I am going with the gooseneck mount so it will attach to the back of the tank. Additionally, I went with the Bluefish LED controller so I am pretty excited to restart this tank soon. I hopefully will have this tank wet again within the next month and once my light is ready the tank should be cycled and ready for life again! :D Plus, I cannot wait to return and post all the pics on new equipment I am picking up.

Nice tank have you ever been to blue harbor? Supposedly one of the best!

Not yet, where is it at?

It's in Osaka area I believe. They are the ones who buy all the peppermint angelfish in the world..

It's in Osaka area I believe. They are the ones who buy all the peppermint angelfish in the world..

Awesome! Osaka is on my visit list. So I will have to track it down.

So this is a very rough attempt at using SketchUp to get an idea of how a separate "equipment" rack would look. Part of me is considering just putting a back on my stand and mounting most of the equipment on that, but facing the wall not the sump area. However, my concern is that if I ever had a leaking overflow or return it might end up running down the back of the stand and causing issues. On the flip side I feel like this equipment rack takes up a lot of floor space, almost enough for another tank :D but I am not sure I have can pull that off :mellow:. The other benefit of this separate rack is that I can fit the Two-Part Dosing stuff in there as well and keep it cleaner looking than a couple of gallon bottles next to a tank.

ScreenShot2014-03-25at95803PM_zpsfb721a8

• 2 weeks later...

So I ordered a bunch of new equipment from BRS:

Salinity Module: PM2 - Neptune Systems

Energy Bar 8 - Neptune Systems

Lab Grade Conductivity/Salinity Probe - Neptune Systems

10.01 Milwaukee Calibration Solution Single Use Packet

7.01 Milwaukee Calibration Solution Single Use Packet

VorTech Wireless Module: WXM - Neptune Systems

However, I find myself wanting a different ATO system. I am starting to think about the ADVAST ATO because it will plug into my APEX which I think is a plus. Additionally, I find myself considering their Peristaltic ATO pump as well. I was going to go with a BRS pump but seems like people have issues with them that do not seem to be present in their 1.1ml dosing pumps. Has anyone had any experiences with the ADVAST pump/ATO? or BRS pump?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Looking great mate, i'm tempted to drill my 60p... what size bulkheads did you use?

Hey sorry it took so long to reply, I feel like I've flown around the world twice in the past couple weeks. I used a glass-hole nano con dientes overflow kit. So I want to say it was a 1 inch bulkhead and 1/2 inch for the return.

http://www.glass-holes.com/Super-Nano-con-Dientes-Overflow-Box-Complete-Kit-ghsndienteskit.htm

I will say it took me a few beers to finally pull the trigger on drilling and on top of that I watched a ton of videos on drilling. Let me tell you it took me a lot longer to get through the glass than those videos showed (also a lot louder than I expected, we are talking chipmunk jumped into a paper shredder loud). But in the end it turned out fine, very little chip out on the back side and no sealing issues or cracks.

Archived