Cultivated Reef

Tronic's Japanese ADA 60P (wet again)

Raturo

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It took me a over a year to work up the nerve to drill my ADA
Yeah, one screwup and there goes $170 down the dumpster.

Yeah that was greatest fear is that I would hear a crack.... I watched a ton of videos on how to drill and I felt like it was then or never. I did start to worry a lot with the amount of time it was taking. But it all worked out, little bit of chip out on the end. Overall clean. And I am glad it is done though.

Still no dice on the lights. No one here carries them in stock (at least that I could find), started thinking about the vega again but the fact you keep having to buy other things (mount, and controller) keep me from pulling the trigger right now. But nonetheless, I picked up some plumbing stuff while I was here and I should finish plumbing it when I get back and it will finally get wet and I can ponder the light some more while it cycles. :/

Deleted User 4

Yeah that was greatest fear is that I would hear a crack.... I watched a ton of videos on how to drill and I felt like it was then or never. I did start to worry a lot with the amount of time it was taking. But it all worked out, little bit of chip out on the end. Overall clean. And I am glad it is done though. Still no dice on the lights. No one here carries them in stock (at least that I could find), started thinking about the vega again but the fact you keep having to buy other things (mount, and controller) keep me from pulling the trigger right now. But nonetheless, I picked up some plumbing stuff while I was here and I should finish plumbing it when I get back and it will finally get wet and I can ponder the light some more while it cycles. :/

Or a razor by maxspect?

Thing is...wished they came in white/silver to match with the ada tank.

Or a razor by maxspect?

Thing is...wished they came in white/silver to match with the ada tank.

The razor as well. Lol, I was hoping to see a 16k to see how purple it really is. I talked to one of the guys at reef raft and he has one but I got the feeling he wasn't completely happy with it and sounded like he would go with the vega if he was in my shoes. So back to square one with lighting.

Have you thought of ordering from Hong Kong? Fishstreet is the name of the site. Think there's a reefer here from HK who might be able to help you out.

btw, if you ever make it to Taiwan, I can recommend a few spots to get great lifestock.

Deleted User 4

The razor as well. Lol, I was hoping to see a 16k to see how purple it really is. I talked to one of the guys at reef raft and he has one but I got the feeling he wasn't completely happy with it and sounded like he would go with the vega if he was in my shoes. So back to square one with lighting.

I see. Mmmm, yeah I mean, if you add the controller/rail kits to the vega, you can also use that money for a ecotech radion....lmao.

I see. Mmmm, yeah I mean, if you add the controller/rail kits to the vega, you can also use that money for a ecotech radion....lmao.

Exactly, in fact I was starting to think that as well. Not good ha!

Have you thought of ordering from Hong Kong? Fishstreet is the name of the site. Think there's a reefer here from HK who might be able to help you out.

btw, if you ever make it to Taiwan, I can recommend a few spots to get great lifestock.

I have to find an excuse to get to Taiwan now! I haven't considered the Hong Kong route, I'll have to check it out. Thanks!

So I just got back to Japan a couple hours ago and decided to do a little plumbing on the tank. I think I am at the 85% solution. I have not glued anything yet and I had to tweak the return and overflow lines a little so they would clear the stand.

I might add a union to the overflow line going into to the filter sock just to make removing the sock a lot easier. Additionally I might shorten up the stuff on the return Tee. I originally wanted just a valve and a barb to make water changes easy but then I thought about adding another union to have the flexibility to change things up a bit later on down the road. However, this appears to be taking up a lot more space than I thought it would. Part of me is thinking about ditching the Tee all together and another part wants to keep it. This is my first time plumbing a tank so I am open to inputs. I am going to sleep on it tonight and start gluing in the morning.

IMG_1718_zps734775ab.jpg

IMG_1714_zpse2f9bd5e.jpg

IMG_1713_zpsa046a847.jpg

So all the plumbing is glued together now. I am making a whole bunch of RO/DI water right now and I am seeking input on this next step. My thought is fill the tank up (minus rock and sand) with RO/DI and start running that thru the plumbing. If there are no issues then I'll just add enough salt to the tank, add the rock and sand and start the cycle. Can anyone think of any issues doing this? I know I will have to remove some water when I add the sand and rock.

I can't see anything wrong with going that route. Make sure the heater's on to help the salt dissolve and give it enough time to fully dissolve. Looking good, man.

I can't see anything wrong with going that route. Make sure the heater's on to help the salt dissolve and give it enough time to fully dissolve. Looking good, man.

Thanks! It is taking forever to produce that much RO here I feel like the water pressure is low. :/

• 2 weeks later...

The tank made it through the R/O water test with only a minor leak, one of the fittings needed to be tighted up. I mixed in the salt last Sunday added rock and sand and started the cycle. I changed the scape a little I wanted more of an open feel so I reduced the number of rocks and got two islands going.

Ordered a bunch of stuff from BRS to include a MP10!!!! Thinking about order a small media reactor to run carbon/gfo like the new innovate marine one. However, it appears that everyone is out of stock, but I have plenty of time while the cycle is going

I do have a concern with the amount of slit, not sure if it how I added the sand or what, but I've already gone through two felt socks trying to get this cleared up and some areas in the sump seem to be hanging onto it. It looks a million times better right now, but I'll wait til the MP10 gets here to stir up the rest...

• 2 weeks later...
BeardedReeferLLC

Nice haul on your BRS order. Everything is looking clean and tidy in your sump area.

• 2 weeks later...

The Apex came in last week and I have it all hooked up now. I ended up picking up a wireless bridge so I can actually use it, I am pretty sure my landlord would not be cool with drilling a hole to run the cable down. I am really happy with this. However, I ordered it off amazon because all of the other places I was looking at were out of stock with the Lab grade probe. I got it and notice that the screen is super scratched up. I tried picking at the corner lightly to see if there was a cover but did not notice one. The tape seal on the box was still intact so I am at a loss at how it got like this.

IMG_1748_zps3921ba8e.jpg

Picked up a pair of clowns and some accidental frags at the LFS. Some sort of green digiti and a purple one as well I might be way off on that but I will ask for IDs when they grow out some. I am kind of bummed with the selection of Zoa's I have come across I am so used to seeing some bright colors and here most things look so drab. I have talked with a couple companies back in the states that deal with overseas shipping of livestock and might head that route if nothing looks really good here.

Here is the latest FTS, although I need to adjust my camera some more to reflect the true colors, and yes it still has the Nano over it. I need to decide on a light soon.

IMG_1751_zpscd914891.jpg

Deleted User 4

You sure the screen isn't covered by a plastic film to protect it?

He already said in the description that he tried looking to see if there was one....kinda sucks.

Drift Monkey

He already said in the description that he tried looking to see if there was one....kinda sucks.

I know what he said, but the screen looks matte as if there is a film on it.

Deleted User 4

I know what he said, but the screen looks matte as if there is a film on it.

Hmm whoever received a new apex sealed in the past experience should chime in on this one! :)

Archived