SaltCritters.com

Tronic's Japanese ADA 60P (wet again)

Raturo

Update: WET!!!!

1st Setup Follows:

I moved to Japan on the western edge of Tokyo prefecture this past September. I fell in love with ADA tanks out here! although expensive (however, cheaper than I could find stateside) the quality and clarity cannot be beat out here. Nonetheless before I moved here I was about to start up a 40b but when I found out i had to move here i put that in storage and came here looking for something new.

After stalking Brad908's and JRmiller's tanks I knew I wanted an ADA tank. The clean rimless lines blew anything I have seen before away. So I set forth on my epic journey, which so far has been a lot more challenging than I thought it would be.... :). I have not got the tank wet yet. I have been waiting for a lot of things to get to me before getting her wet.

But here is what I have, and please feel free to leave comments and suggestions!

2nd time around is pretty much the same. I had the dry sand and rock sitting around so I got the tank wet in May of 2014 and I just started adding live stock November 2014.

Equipment

Tank: ADA 60P Drilled with Glass-holes overflow and return (one of top five emotional events of my life)

Sump: Custom acrylics build (3 chambers, 20 long x 10 wide x 10 high)

Skimmer: Bubble magus NAC 3.5

Flow: MP10 60% reefcrest

Stand: Something I was able to find off the shelf here in Japan for a 60 cm wide tank. Plus side it is solid wood not particle board.

Lighting: AI Nano died Nano-Box Duo with the Bluefish LED controller.

ATO: Custom acrylics ATO reservoir with Tunze Osmolator.

Heater: Japanese OTS unit. (but I am really afraid based on it's size... much smaller than any 200w I've seen before).

Controller: Neptune Apex.

Innovative marine reactor ( carbon/GFO mix)

Stocking

Rock: About 20 pounds of Bulk reef supply's Dry rock.

Sand: 30 pounds of Ocean Direct Oolite live sand

Corals

As of now, my plans include going SPS heavy with this tanks, lots of Acans, Zoas, Rics as well. However, All of these are harder to find than I thought. I grew up in Socal so I figured it would be way to easy to pick this up here.... not so much. If anyone has any suggestions for places feel free to leave them. I currently enjoy driving the GF nuts on coral hunting adventures!!!!

FTS 13 Nov 2014

15779521245_e8d085e911_h.jpgIMG_3454

FTS 7 May 2013 (note the Nano is just becuase I wanted take some pictures)

IMG_1736_zps5c9209cc.jpg

IMG_1731_zpsa2274916.jpg

photo2_zps31e73eca.jpgphoto4_zps7cde931e.jpgIMG_1707_zps065e918c.jpgIMG_1709_zps486bfea2.jpgIMG_1710_zps5ad45d5b.jpg

IMG_1720_zpsb29b1d1b.jpg

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Japan? How cool is that?

Great tank and scape!!

I love living in Japan, working and trying to get a reef tank going are a whole different story! :) i feel like I had better luck finding things western Texas and Socal than here.Thanks for the complements on the scape, I originally wanted some sort of long tall island with two smaller islands for rics and zoa's but came up with this. It is really starting to grown on me... :)

Wow everything is looking really sharp. I love Japan too. Tokyo is the best. What area specifically are you in?

Wow everything is looking really sharp. I love Japan too. Tokyo is the best. What area specifically are you in?

Thanks! I'm near Fussa, but spend a lot time in Shinjuku and Yokohama.

Thanks! I'm near Fussa, but spend a lot time in Shinjuku and Yokohama.

Sweet. I've been to Shinjuku, but not Fussa or Yokohama. I only visited Tokyo for a week, then travelled around for another 9 days (most South-West Japan)

Haha, maybe you could find some useful DIY stuff at Loft :P

I really want that ATO reservoir :ninja:

Oh my, I almost forgot about the time difference. Well I am not familiar with any LFS in Tokyo, I did try to find a few, but I could not for the life of me read the maps on the few websites I could find. They seem to be in strange areas, sometimes underground etc.. Just keep looking. I know there are a few people on RC from Japan. There is also a thread there about LFS in Japan, and I think it focuses mainly on Tokyo. Good luck!

Sweet. I've been to Shinjuku, but not Fussa or Yokohama. I only visited Tokyo for a week, then travelled around for another 9 days (most South-West Japan)

Haha, maybe you could find some useful DIY stuff at Loft :P

I really want that ATO reservoir :ninja:

Yokohama is fast becoming my new favorite place. Just so much to do and see and not like crazy Tokyo packed! Yeah about the DIY stuff I went to Joyful Honda yesterday looking for PVC pipes (thinking they have to be the same size) but nada. There is US sized PVC and Metric sized...FML so I am going to buy about 20 feet of each size, cut it up and send it to myself when I get back to the states next week.

I am really happy about that ATO and Sump. They finailly made it to me after a whole bunch of crazyiness!

Oh my, I almost forgot about the time difference. Well I am not familiar with any LFS in Tokyo, I did try to find a few, but I could not for the life of me read the maps on the few websites I could find. They seem to be in strange areas, sometimes underground etc.. Just keep looking. I know there are a few people on RC from Japan. There is also a thread there about LFS in Japan, and I think it focuses mainly on Tokyo. Good luck!

I know what you mean, I am lucking out with the amount of translator apps for my iPhone here. However, reefing a language all to its self! LOL! I'll have to hit of some of the RC and NR forums on Japan.

Deleted User 4

Nice setup you got there! So you're planning on using an ai nano sol?I spotted it lying in a basket on one of the pictures lol.

What brand is the sump?

Nice setup you got there! So you're planning on using an ai nano sol?

I spotted it lying in a basket on one of the pictures lol.What brand is the sump?

Thanks. I did put the Nano on there when I first got the tank. The stock arm doesn't allow or enough spread. I did have it on a longer tankbefore but I had to it up quite a bit. I am not sure I want to undertake making a mount for my light here. So I'm looking for something with a little bit more spread and easy mounting.

I contacted acrylicaquariumsuppliers from eBay because I've seen a couple people buy their nano sumps. It is nice but it took quite a long time to get to me. Nonetheless I am happy with it. I did just look on eBay an noticed they are currently not selling anything, which is odd.

Deleted User 4

I see. Well, there is the Ext Rail kit by Ai. I think that'll mount will look nice on this tank but it isn't too friendly on the price tag.

I also noticed you stating in the 1st post that you might go with a different lighting module.

I think the maxspect razor or ai vega will look fine on it. Thing is with the razor, it looks better being hanged whereas vega can go either way for a classy look. Vega is much more pricey though.

Your scape is awesome! I can't wait to get my ADA-60P wet soon!

Thanks! I am really looking forward to this getting wet.

Have you visited a store in Tokyo called Penguin Village? Or Pau Pau?

No I haven't found those yet. I've been to PD pets. Tropiland and Natural. You don't have an address or general area?

I see. Well, there is the Ext Rail kit by Ai. I think that'll mount will look nice on this tank but it isn't too friendly on the price tag.

I also noticed you stating in the 1st post that you might go with a different lighting module.

I think the maxspect razor or ai vega will look fine on it. Thing is with the razor, it looks better being hanged whereas vega can go either way for a classy look. Vega is much more pricey though.

I keep looking at the vega. Hopefully I can check these out when I'm in the states and actually pic one! Lol.

Okay so jet lag has been wrecking my chili pretty bad but does anyone know some coral shops That i can poke around when I am in and around these areas. This week I will be near Mc Chord Air force base, so a little south of Tacoma. And then next week I will in orange country. In OC I have done tongs tropical fish a lot and I am just looking for something for livestock and equipment.

Lol. There's a bunch of nice lfs in OC.

You're better off posting on socalireefs.com for that info ha.

Awesome I'll do that. Thank's. Do yo what some of the names where?

Deleted User 4

Btw, I noticed you changed the title of the thread. You can always pm Christopher Mark if you want to change your name Raturo to Tronic. He's the creator of nano-reef. http://www.nano-reef.com/user/192-christopher-marks/

Awesome I'll do that. Thank's. Do yo what some of the names where?

Mmmm, man I forgot....I think there was one called coral collections, and another called sexy corals....

Reef Raft USA, and more..

There's a lot though.

Mmmm, man I forgot....I think there was one called coral collections, and another called sexy corals....

Reef Raft USA, and more..

There's a lot though.

So I went to Reef Raft USA and that place had an amazing selection. I really wished I lived back in SoCal, I would have a ridiculous stocked tank...

Deleted User 4

So I went to Reef Raft USA and that place had an amazing selection. I really wished I lived back in SoCal, I would have a ridiculous stocked tank...

Lolol nice. I actually know a guy on here who works at reefraftusa haha. I can't say a word of his name though...unfortunately.

Did you end up getting any light fixtures?

It took me a over a year to work up the nerve to drill my ADA

Tank: ADA 60P Drilled with Glass-holes overflow and return (one of top five emotional events of my life)

Archived