Cultivated Reef

JP's PicO II. Featherduster hosting clown!

Passaggper

I did a water change Tuesday night as well (4 gallons) and scrubbed the back wall clean of algae. I also removed everything from my media basket to see how that changes my water chemistry now that the tank is a little more stable. So, right now I am only using filter floss and the water is still very very clear.

http://s852.photobucket.com/user/jrusiad/media/FTS91213.jpg.html'>FTS91213.jpg

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

A little update:

I reverted back to using filter floss and purigen for filtration as the water got a bit too cloudy for my liking. Since my last update, I had an outbreak in cyanobacteria just before I left the state for a week. The tank got nasty. I reduced my lighting to 7.5 hours/day and added a skimmer. I think I'm seeing a decline in the amount of cyanobacteria growth. On the back wall, it has turned green and faded away. I still have it in the corners and on the rocks I can't get too very well. I started feeding frozen "Reef Frenzy" every few days with nothing in between. A couple of aiptasia also found their way into my display. Corals are doing well I suppose. It's been difficult to gauge growth but I know it is happening. My frogspawn is filling the back corner very quickly and my mushrooms are making babies. My acan has some new heads as well. The candy canes aren't doing shit. I really expected them to grow more quickly. Monti digitata is still spreading laterally and covering the plug and epoxy well. I hope to see it reaching upward soon. Pink birdsnest looks crappy but it keeps getting covered in cyano at the tips. The acro frag isn't really growing much but I still see plenty of PE. Duncan is getting large as well. I am overdue for a water change at the moment so I'm going to test this afternoon to check all my levels. The Cadlights skimmer is making coffee everyday. I haven't noticed a great decline in nitrates since installing it but I'll check this evening. That is all.

http://s852.photobucket.com/user/jrusiad/media/Mobile%20Uploads/tank2.jpg.html'>tank2.jpg

Give it a shot of chemiclean and move forward.

I will probably do that. I like that I have been able to keep it in check (and even reduce it) using other methods.

How are you making out?

I picked up some chemiclean on Saturday and followed the instructions. Today, the tank is clean. Next order of business is eliminating the aiptasia and adding an ATO. Leaning toward the Tunze Nano 3152. My only concern is that the magnet wont work well enough in the back compartment.

I picked up some chemiclean on Saturday and followed the instructions. Today, the tank is clean. Next order of business is eliminating the aiptasia and adding an ATO. Leaning toward the Tunze Nano 3152. My only concern is that the magnet wont work well enough in the back compartment.

I've got a pair of osmolators and I will say that it may take a bit of planning the mounting... but once your setup I'm sure you will be happy even with the nano. Glad u got cleaned up.

I have the Tunze Nano 3152 and Pico S III. Magnet been in the same position for almost 2 months with no issue.

I have the Tunze Nano 3152 and Pico S III. Magnet been in the same position for almost 2 months with no issue.

Well, my PicO is a little different than all the other ones I have seen. The AIO is actually a full ABS box set inside the tank so the thickness is about 1/2" total. :/

I've got a pair of osmolators and I will say that it may take a bit of planning the mounting... but once your setup I'm sure you will be happy even with the nano. Glad u got cleaned up.

Yeah, me too. Much happier now!

I like your rockwork, very cool! :)

Thank you! It's been through some changes as I add frags here and there and I'm actually thinking of reworking it in the near future. Rockscaping is not for the indecisive!

Thank you! It's been through some changes as I add frags here and there and I'm actually thinking of reworking it in the near future. Rockscaping is not for the indecisive!

No kidding. It's my least favorite part of this hobby. I have a touch of OCD, so I have been known to drive myself crazy with the rearranging!

No kidding. It's my least favorite part of this hobby. I have a touch of OCD, so I have been known to drive myself crazy with the rearranging!

Same here!

The magnet is not going to move once it's in place but the position may be baffling. On my first osmolator I thought I could just hook both sensors up to the same magnet. Unfortunately I wasn't able to achieve the level I was hoping to set. Using both included magnets did the trick. Same thing with my PicO... Had to use both magnets and trust me it can take some thinking if space is an issue. Once they were set there is no more issue. I'm sure you wont have as much issue with the nano being a single sensor.

Well, I ordered the Tunze Nano ATO today along with aiptasia-x. I now have a total of 5 aiptasia in the display. One of which is getting quite large.

Well, I ordered the Tunze Nano ATO today along with aiptasia-x. I now have a total of 5 aiptasia in the display. One of which is getting quite large.

You try super glue?

k, was hard to see on my phone.

I haven't seen the bugger since I acclimated and introduced him. I don't really expect to I suppose. I blasted my large aiptasia nem with aiptasia-x last night and he is no more.

I picked up a healthy looking TSB on Sunday as well. He holed up in a rock for the first couple days and is now venturing out more. He and the clown get along well. Unfortunately, Clown has taught him to only hang out in the back corner of the tank. I may need to push my rockwork closer to the back wall to encourage them to spend more time toward the front. Stupid fish.

I also got my Tunze ATO set up. You know, when I started this I really didn't think it was a big deal topping off every day but it does get old very fast and with the colder/dryer air weather coming the evaporation has obviously increased. I'm very happy I finally picked one up.

http://s852.photobucket.com/user/jrusiad/media/2d6bd611-efc5-4f12-8960-ac1422ae0274.jpg.html'>2d6bd611-efc5-4f12-8960-ac1422ae0274.jpg

Archived