Top Shelf Aquatics

JP's PicO II. Featherduster hosting clown!

Passaggper

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He said it's tiny though so it's fine. I heard that species likes to school too, and feels more comfortable in groups of 3 or 5 JP.

Lol tiny fish. heck he could get a dozen in there then. although better stick to odd number, so lets say 13.

Ha. Obvious troll is obvious?

Wait how big is that tank? 2 powerheads?

System is 14, display is 11.7 empty. Actual water volume was around 12. Yeah, I put a 240 and a 425 in there.

I guess i just keep mine on the cooler side but you're right 8o.1 seems to be the sweet spot for most people!

What is your tank temp? I understand stability is more important than temperature. Within reason of course..

JP, did you add anything that moves to the tank yet? I need to add some mysis...my amonia, trites and trates have been at zero for a week. I like that idea.

JP, did you add anything that moves to the tank yet? I need to add some mysis...my amonia, trites and trates have been at zero for a week. I like that idea.

Nope, nothing living yet.

Added a little of my sons betta food lol...I'll see if that kick starts things a bit.

I just checked your thread again. You started with quite a bit of live rock didn't you? Maybe your cycle is established? I'd still expect SOME measurable nitrates though.

Me too...I'm going to watch it this week. I changed the substrate from crushed coral to arag alive reef sand so that may have slowed it down a little. If my numbers stay low after adding food, I'm going to add a small fish. Patience is key with this hobby as you know!

Passaggper

Welp, temps are climbing here and I don't run the AC all day so my tank was at 81.2 when I got home. The room temp was 78 so I decided to remove a powerhead. I took out the 240. I moved the 425 around to the back wall and I think I'm getting better random flow now. Hopefully I will see lower tank temps. I don't want to add a damn chiller or fans for that matter.

I suppose taking the lid off will help but.. one step at a time.

Diatoms are still going nuts and I'm seeing traces of GHA so I will do a water change this weekend and add a small CUC.

Passaggper

Got some hermits and snails!! I haven't been able to identify these or determine their reef compatibility so if you have a clue, let me know. LFS had them in one of their display tanks and they haven't messed with anything.

Blue and hairy

http://s852.photobucket.com/user/jrusiad/media/hairybluehermit.jpg.html'>hairybluehermit.jpg

FTS

http://s852.photobucket.com/user/jrusiad/media/FTS5413.jpg.html'>FTS5413.jpg

Reddish tan with black/white striped eye stalks

http://s852.photobucket.com/user/jrusiad/media/twocrabs.jpg.html'>twocrabs.jpg

Another of the same

http://s852.photobucket.com/user/jrusiad/media/hairygray1.jpg.html'>hairygray1.jpg

Deleted User 4

Ohh you changed the rock scape. Nice.

I took a few shots but it got really late and I tied on a pretty strong buzz by the end of it.

_DSC4728.jpg

I still like this one more though. :P

Passaggper
Ohh you changed the rock scape. Nice.

I still like this one more though. :P

I liked a lot of them but recreating them was pretty much impossible. I had a scape I liked but I wanted more rock in the upper half of the display so I took everything out, chiseled, glued, balanced and epoxied everything into what you see. One rock isn't glued down because I'm still not sure if I want that there as the "bridge". My next build will, hopefully, be easier to scape.

As I'm sure you've picked up, most people don't consider any hermits as truly reef save. They are opportunistic feeders and will get their nutrition the easiest way possible. Sure are a lot cuter then a snail though.

Passaggper
Still, I like the new scape you've done.

Thanks, me too.

As I'm sure you've picked up, most people don't consider any hermits as truly reef save. They are opportunistic feeders and will get their nutrition the easiest way possible. Sure are a lot cuter then a snail though.

I should have specified "nano-reef safe". I realize the risk but I decided some time ago I want hermits regardless of their behavior. With so many mixed reviews and opinions, the bottom line is, yes, they're much "cuter" or interesting than a snail and their existence in a reef tank is possible without horrible consequences. Some hermits species grow quite large and for that reason (obviously) make for poor nano inhabitants. Of course, I can always get rid of them later and I have very little to worry about right now as I have yet to stock any coral or fish.

Also, so you know, my mantis tank will soon be a reality. When will your PicO arrive?

Passaggper

I think Chris told me I could be getting it as early as next week!

oh shnapp! Will it fit on your ridiculously unbalanced wood stand?

Archived