ReefCleaners.org

JP's PicO II. Featherduster hosting clown!

Passaggper

No it will not! haha, the PicO Is Ricordea tank is going on the stand (Should make it much more balanced.) and the new Custom PicO will share my 9' IKEA kitchen table with my desktop computer. The temperate tank from Micro-Reefs is probably going on the IKEA bookcase we have in the front room, provided it will fit with the AC filter on back.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Passaggper

No it will not! haha, the PicO Is Ricordea tank is going on the stand (Should make it much more balanced.) and the new Custom PicO will share my 9' IKEA kitchen table with my desktop computer. The temperate tank from Micro-Reefs is probably going on the IKEA bookcase we have in the front room, provided it will fit with the AC filter on back.

Why don't you get the acrylic stand along with it? You know you want to.

Deleted User 4

What!! You're getting another tank? Holy crap man. That's so many lol.

• 2 weeks later...
Passaggper

Hmm. Well, I've done a few water changes to reduce Nitrates from about 20ppm. I did a 7 gallon change on Monday last week, which brought it to 10ppm. I did a 3 gallon change on Monday Tuesday afternoon which dropped it a bit. For some stupid reason, I did another 3 gallon change the next morning (yesterday). Last night I checked my nitrates and they are up between 10 and 20 again. I checked ammonia and nitrites as well.

.25 ammonia

.25 nitrites

I checked again this afternoon and the readings are the same. I can't find anything dead in the tank (5 snails and 6 hermits) so I guess I'm just going to wait it out.

Deleted User 4

Hes making fun of another member with a similar name.

I see lol. Is it fishgirl? I noticed some people talking about her...pretty sad lol.

Passaggper

Well, as much as I didn't want to do this, I started dosing Brightwell Microbacter7 on Saturday. I am completely baffled by my nitrite readings. I verified with another test kit and getting the same results (0.25ppm). Everything is still alive as far as I can tell.

Passaggper

That's really really weird. Does it register any ammonia?

It was reading 0.25 to .50 ppm Friday (also verified with two kits). Last night it was indicating a little less than .25, what I would normally consider zero with API. I haven't tested nitrates since saturday (~15-20ppm) since I am more concerned with the system's inability to readily process nitrites. I'm getting ready to run home and do another test and dose another 3ml MB7. I think I will also remove the chemipure elite since I don't think it is really doing much for phosphates anyway.

Love the scape BTW. Forgot if I mentioned it already :P

There's no harm in dosing that anyways. It just helps things along. :)

Passaggper

Love the scape BTW. Forgot if I mentioned it already :P

Thanks. I think I like it for now. I think you're due for an updated FTS now that you have the liverock, no?

There's no harm in dosing that anyways. It just helps things along. :)

I've read good things about it so I thought I would give it a shot. I really didn't have much to lose.

I ran a set of basic tests at lunch and I'm getting 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and around 20 ppm nitrates. I suppose it is helping.

Thanks. I think I like it for now. I think you're due for an updated FTS now that you have the liverock, no?

I've read good things about it so I thought I would give it a shot. I really didn't have much to lose. I ran a set of basic tests at lunch and I'm getting 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and around 20 ppm nitrates. I suppose it is helping.

I'm planning on it soon. I'm a bit lazy right now and don't feel like cleaning the glass. I usually do with a water change, and after acclimating the new livestock probably added about 10%-15% of freshly mixed water, but figured I would leave the little bit of algae there for the Blenny and Hermits to snack on while they get acquainted with their new home. :D Also the liverock I literally just threw in there :lol:

I ended up using Zeobak to help out, but my problem was no ammonia. The food I was using was not adding any to the tank :blink: So I had to wait for some Ammonium Chloride to get shipped to me (cannot find it anywhere where I am!)

Either way, you'll get the bacteria you need :)

Passaggper

I'm planning on it soon. I'm a bit lazy right now and don't feel like cleaning the glass. I usually do with a water change, and after acclimating the new livestock probably added about 10%-15% of freshly mixed water, but figured I would leave the little bit of algae there for the Blenny and Hermits to snack on while they get acquainted with their new home. :D Also the liverock I literally just threw in there :lol:

I ended up using Zeobak to help out, but my problem was no ammonia. The food I was using was not adding any to the tank :blink: So I had to wait for some Ammonium Chloride to get shipped to me (cannot find it anywhere where I am!)

Either way, you'll get the bacteria you need :)

Although I did establish the beneficial bacteria, I don't think I established enough of it from the beginning. Looking back at my test results, I only peaked around 1.0-2.0 ppm ammonia and 2.0 nitrite before everything hit zero within a half day or so. After that and the algae bloom, I added a CUC and I think even that small bioload was too much for the my bio filter to handle immediately. Lesson learned.

I'm looking forward to your liverock discoveries and TSB adventures!

Although I did establish the beneficial bacteria, I don't think I established enough of it from the beginning. Looking back at my test results, I only peaked around 1.0-2.0 ppm ammonia and 2.0 nitrite before everything hit zero within a half day or so. After that and the algae bloom, I added a CUC and I think even that small bioload was too much for the my bio filter to handle immediately. Lesson learned.

I'm looking forward to your liverock discoveries and TSB adventures!

That's about how much ammonia I added as well. At least you know that the nitrifying bacteria works fast!

Well TSB is settling in well. He's getting braver venturing out and about every day. He now has two 'homes' he feels most comfortable in, and started exploring the back of the tank. He sticks close to the rock though, making sure not to venture into the open water yet. He seems to be picking most of his food off the rock (algae), but is eyeing the pellets I have been feeding, but unless they are within reach, he's still a little too scared to swim to them to eat. I'm not worried though, at this rate he should be swimming about in a week.

I'm still thinking of later on adding a pair of neon gobies or one more fish about the same size of the Blenny. The research continues!!!

What are your stocking plans for fish?

That's about how much ammonia I added as well. At least you know that the nitrifying bacteria works fast!

Well TSB is settling in well. He's getting braver venturing out and about every day. He now has two 'homes' he feels most comfortable in, and started exploring the back of the tank. He sticks close to the rock though, making sure not to venture into the open water yet. He seems to be picking most of his food off the rock (algae), but is eyeing the pellets I have been feeding, but unless they are within reach, he's still a little too scared to swim to them to eat. I'm not worried though, at this rate he should be swimming about in a week.

I'm still thinking of later on adding a pair of neon gobies or one more fish about the same size of the Blenny. The research continues!!!

I LOVE neon gobies, if I didn't have the clown I would have gone with a tsb and the neons.
Passaggper

Yeah, I was happy to see it bounce back. Everything was out and about last night so I was able to verify with certainty tat nothing died.

I've not made up my mind on fish yet. Probably one of everything.

I LOVE neon gobies, if I didn't have the clown I would have gone with a tsb and the neons.

They are frickin' awesome. I really want a mated pair though, which seem to be impossible to get. I'll keep the search on!

Yeah, I was happy to see it bounce back. Everything was out and about last night so I was able to verify with certainty tat nothing died. I've not made up my mind on fish yet. Probably one of everything.

Haha that's always a good way to go! :P

I was also reading that they do not have a very long life span, 1-2 years seems to be the max (don't quote me, just what I've been reading).

That's kind of sad. Ya I just looked it up, and it seems you are right. Oh well, maybe I can break the 'record' :happy:

• 2 weeks later...
Passaggper

Things are going well with the system. I received my PicO IS yesterday and my mp10 today. I now wish I had built the stand wider to accommodate the second tank and provide a little more room for equipment. Things are looking messy :furious: .

My parameters are still in check after dosing microbacter7 daily for a week and periodically since. I'm only feeding a couple algae wafers every few days for the hermits. I found a micro brittle star the other day hanging out of a rock void and the pod population has exploded.

I'm looking forward to stocking some coral and fish next month. I'll be on vacation from June 6 through the 15th so I'll have more to keep me entertained soon after that.

I've been playing with the different modes on the mp10 and boy, is this thing cool or what? What is your favorite mode? I'm running it on tidal swell maxed at about 40% right now.

• 1 month later...
Passaggper

Well, I'm done leaving town for a while so I added my first fish and a feather duster on Sunday. He seemed to be doing just fine, even eating well but I came home to see my hermits having an expensive snack.

Ammonia-0ppm

Nitrite-0ppm

Nitrate-15-20ppm

SG-1.026

Ph-7.8

Temp 80.5

I dunno, I'm bummed.

Archived