Cultivated Reef

7 Gallons, Cadlight Zen(Invert Reality, coming soon 12/27/2013))

MGDMIRAGE

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks great!

Why thank you :) I filled one more gap on the right side but I'm pretty happy with the outcome. This tank is going to be my designated Zoanthid tank so rocks almost to the surface won't be an issue.

For lighting i'm going to use a 70w sunpod with a 20k bulb with perhaps some LEDs added depending on how the zoanthids react.

Nano sapiens

Comb teeth for the overflow...that is innovative :)

Rock work looks real good and should be awesome when filled with Zoas. Looks like the back rocks are leaning on the back wall? If you like keeping a 'clean-look' to the back wall you could drill holes in the rock and use plastic rods to secure them all together so there would be a gap for you to be able to clean the wall. Just a thought...

Comb teeth for the overflow...that is innovative :)

Rock work looks real good and should be awesome when filled with Zoas.

Thanks! I wasn't sure if the plastic would be reef safe on the combs but after painting it with Krylon Fusion I'm not too worried. I have been pondering using these wide tooth combs for quite some time.

I can't wait to get it finished, i'm working on the return and overflow plumbing and should have that finished in the next day or two.

I'm not a happy camper, while messing with the leaking bulkhead I ended up lodging the overflow teeth on the right loose so I ripped both of them off now I don't know what to do :(

On the plus side though this overflow handles the 600gph pump like it is nothing and the SCWD works okay but need more flow so it switches faster.

Deleted User 4

How much was the shipping? The tank looks as good as an ada, definitely better than the Mr. Aqua just from seeing the pictures.

Deleted User 4

$57 shipped, it is certainly ADA quality and awesome quality low iron glass.

so $40 for the tank and $17 for shipping? Good deal. I paid $120 for mine including the shipping costs. Mine is only 8g..lol.

Really good deal on the tank, love that you're into DIYing parts too.

What are you using to secure that severe arch? If it was me I would go with acrylic rods I think, or at least epoxy and zip ties. I just envision that middle chunk landing on a $200 open brain or chalice.

Really good deal on the tank, love that you're into DIYing parts too.

What are you using to secure that severe arch? If it was me I would go with acrylic rods I think, or at least epoxy and zip ties. I just envision that middle chunk landing on an $200 open brain or chalice.

Nothing securing it at the moment but it is like physically impossible for it to fall straight down do to the fact it is much larger than the opening hehe. I really only plan on putting a crocea clam there.

MG, the sand looks rather deep, it might be the angle of the photo though.

Just under an inch and a half but I did it with Jawfish dreams in mind, and or yasha or another shrimp goby and small randals shrimp.

Perspective wise seems deep in a small tank. Shrimp gobies are a super option for the tank. I believe Jawfish need deeper beds.

It is just the upward angle of the shot and the haze left from cloudy water that evaporated. Jawfish don't do too bad long as they have a nice rock to burrow under ,I've had a few in the past. I think a small shrimp goby may be more up my alley though as the shrimp are a lot of fun to watch. I had one of the larger tiger pistols couple years ago and I'll never get one of the larger pistols again lol.

I have these guys

Z6051219-Shrimp_goby_with_its_partner_sh

And these guys

shimpgoby.jpg

YES! both are awesome but man I love the Yasha pair at bottom :) Never seen that pistol at the top, pretty cool looking.

Overflow teeth plan B. This is a super fun project anyone can do weeee. Not.

Adding extra pieces to eggcrate:

IMG_00711280x789_zpsaa030272.jpg

IMG_00701280x853_zps68345a21.jpg

How it will look on tank ish, I gotta sand down the bottom of eggcrate so it adheres better and i'll probably add silicone to side to fill the small gap.

IMG_00741280x853_zps3a92932e.jpg

Cleaned pieces drying out before their journey back into the mother eggcrate.

IMG_00691280x853_zps74ec9e8e.jpg

Archived