ReefCleaners.org

7 Gallons, Cadlight Zen(Invert Reality, coming soon 12/27/2013))

MGDMIRAGE

A larger grain sized sand would help with that quite a bit.

Yeah but then you get detritus trapped in it. I'm looking forward to not having to have nassarius snails and other sand stirring creatures :) I'll probably just get a turbo and some virgin nerites and a hermit or two.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

True. I'm gonna go with a coarser grain myself and just manually stir it.

Yeah I had crushed oyster shells in my 40 gallon hexagon and I had to vacuum it every couple of weeks and man did it get dirty.

Drift Monkey

Yeah I had crushed oyster shells in my 40 gallon hexagon and I had to vacuum it every couple of weeks and man did it get dirty.

Well, I don't plan on any fish, so hopefully that'll help!

Any picture updates on this rig? :)

Well, I don't plan on any fish, so hopefully that'll help!

Any picture updates on this rig? :)

Pretty soon, letting the false sandbed fully cure then i'm gonna run some fresh water through it for awhile then drain and fill again. Never used fiberglass resin so i want to be sure it is really well washed and cured. Then i'll fill it with saltwater and probably try out a damsel, mean maybe but if it shows ill effects I'll take it out right away. If it is fine then I'll throw a snail in there and see if inverts have a reaction.

Drift Monkey

Freshwater test using 600gph pump with the 3/4" SCWD, the overflow handles it like it's nothing. Tons of surface movement. I put the 70W MH over it to see how the shimmer was and it was awesome.

http://s717.photobucket.com/user/mgdmirage/media/MOV031_zps1a8a451c.mp4.html

I love this fake sandbed :)

Awesome! Any footage of the back area so we can see the overflow at work, etc?

thats so awesome man. :D

Thanks, i'm finally started to get excited to set it up. I'm going to replace the 600gph pump with a hydor seltz that is rated for I believe 740gph. Hopefully that will be enough flow that I won't even need to add my MP10. I'd love to have no equipment in the display and I might actually accomplish that this time :)

Awesome! Any footage of the back area so we can see the overflow at work, etc?

Yeah I'll try and get a video of it later. I have a sponge that runs the length of the overflow box but only covers half of it. The sponge makes the overflow nearly silent and will serve as my pre-filter instead of a filter sock, and I'll rinse it out really well once a week.

Yeah...thats pretty bad ass. Can you link us to the resin you used?

It is Bondo brand by 3m. I can't find the exact type online like mine is an older can or something. I used the larger 2pint can for this though.

• 3 weeks later...

Currently cycling :)

So far inverts that I put in there (Amphipods and a snail) haven't died so I guess the resin is fine. I have like 10lbs of cycled rock in the sump but just testing to make sure sand bed is safe before I start stocking.

• 3 weeks later...

Did like a 80% water change today and threw all my zoanthids in there. The light is temp, I don't think it has the oomph to keep the zoas happy. This is about 15 minutes after the huge water change so water isn't perfectly clear yet and about 10 minutes after I dropped all the zoanthids in.

http://s717.photobucket.com/user/mgdmirage/media/003-3_zpsb22d599b.jpg.html'>003-3_zpsb22d599b.jpg

http://s717.photobucket.com/user/mgdmirage/media/017-1_zps757e386c.jpg.html'>017-1_zps757e386c.jpg

http://s717.photobucket.com/user/mgdmirage/media/015_zps93b4262f.jpg.html'>015_zps93b4262f.jpg

http://s717.photobucket.com/user/mgdmirage/media/013-1_zpsf5378d8b.jpg.html'>013-1_zpsf5378d8b.jpg

Great shots! What kind of camera are you using?

I am eagerly awaiting your first diatom bloom! lol

lol I need to get some good sand grazers. I'll have to bug reefcleaners and see what snails would be best for this fake sand bed.

Thanks Camera is a Canon T1i, lens is Tokina 100mm macro.

Getting a rock with 3 gorgeous maxi minis on Friday or Saturday for $50 should I re-scape this a bit and put them in here? One is rainbow color one is purple and other one is green. I think they would be perfect for this tank since there are no pumps in it for the nems to get chopped up in. Plus the low iron they should look pretty awesome.

Input?

Drift Monkey

Getting a rock with 3 gorgeous maxi minis on Friday or Saturday for $50 should I re-scape this a bit and put them in here? One is rainbow color one is purple and other one is green. I think they would be perfect for this tank since there are no pumps in it for the nems to get chopped up in. Plus the low iron they should look pretty awesome.

Input?

Sounds awesome. You'll have to see how it looks, but I thinking you'll have to remove a piece to get the nem rock in there.

• 4 months later...

Any updates on this thing ?! How do you like the zen tank ? I've been contemplating getting the 5 gallon and maybe a 3 gallon for a sump.

• 2 months later...

Tank revamp soon see title for hints!

Any updates on this thing ?! How do you like the zen tank ? I've been contemplating getting the 5 gallon and maybe a 3 gallon for a sump.

Zen tanks are amazing quality for their price!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Revamp coming, and the tank has been running for quite awhile with only a return pump and a heater. The initial plan has worked out. Things have been busy with 3 young kids but I hope to get this back on track extremely soon, ordering some stuff the 24th of this month. Updates to follow! I did change a few things back in March but didn't like them so going to redo it all well except for the no equipment in display I plan to not change that. I've been very happy with the SQWD and 740gph pump providing all the movement.

Archived