ReefCleaners.org

The Arachnophoto Thread

Lalani

Where do you live so I never move there?

In the Philippines. Guess you don't want to see those orb weavers that build their webs in between electricity cables then.

That brown phillipine spider looks similar to the ones I find here in my garage. If you look underneath I'm willing to bet it h as a red hour glass on it's abdomen similar to the black widow. If so it's a brown widow, venomous but not as much, and much more timid than the black widow. The crazy disco ball eggsacs are a sure sign of them.

I tried to look but they're too skittish.

I found some more spiders in the garage.

Little spiders.

DSC03006.jpg

DSC03007.jpg

DSC03012.jpg

Big spider with egg sac.

DSC03008.jpg

DSC03009.jpg

The remains of the big spiders' meals.

DSC03010.jpg

DSC03011.jpg

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
gulfsurfer101

I used wasp spray to render mine dead for identification, that's the only way I was able to tell it had similar making to a black widow.

If I find a dead one, I'll remember to take photos. The big spider is still there by the egg sac. I think it's a Heteropoda sp., most likely H. venatoria.

Paandemonium

Saw this thread and Idk how something that scares me so much(spiders :scarry: ) can look so interesting and peaceful in well taken pictures

Terrific, I love the angle in that first one! Banana spider?

Also, when I was little I called those orb weavers "crab spiders." Walked through a web one time, spider in the face, freaked out.

I traded one of my baby ball pythons for these gals.

Brachypelma albiceps

DSC03017.jpg

B. albopilosum

DSC03018.jpg

Grammostola pulchripes (she is HUGE)

DSC03019.jpg

Terrific, I love the angle in that first one! Banana spider?

Also, when I was little I called those orb weavers "crab spiders." Walked through a web one time, spider in the face, freaked out.

Yeah, it was a Banana Spider.

We almost had that exact situation happen to us with the orb weaver hahaha. He had built his web all the way across the clearing and my buddy nearly walked right through it.

Check out this awesome photo gallery from wired. Some of the most stunning spiders I've ever seen.

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2013/07/weirdest-spiders-ever/?pid=8891&viewall=true

Wow, those are some really cool spiders. And the pics are amazing. Thanks for the link! :D

There is a never ending stream of tracey-jordan-nope.gif going on in this thread.

What a wimp. :P

I traded one of my baby ball pythons for these gals.

Brachypelma albiceps

B. albopilosum

Grammostola pulchripes (she is HUGE)

They look great! Good trade, imo. :D

Yeah, it was a Banana Spider.

We almost had that exact situation happen to us with the orb weaver hahaha. He had built his web all the way across the clearing and my buddy nearly walked right through it.

lol, its such a scary feeling. I walked into one of the huge banana spider webs one time. Didn't know where the hell the spider was..

I just got a new dslr and I have never wanted to get up close and personal to a spider but this thread makes me want to take some pics.

It's quite a bit of fun if you've never done it before.

I forgot about these shots which were taken years ago (2006).

66574786.jpg

66574780.jpg

She was preoccupied as she was finishing her meal.

66574782.jpg

Gorgeous pokie!

How do you know mine is a male? I thought it was virtually impossible to sex them without looking at the inside of the molt.

Gorgeous pokie!

How do you know mine is a male? I thought it was virtually impossible to sex them without looking at the inside of the molt.

Yes, I love pokies. I used to have quite a collection of them too. Although it's more accurate to determine the sex via the exoskeleton, it can be sexed quite easily ventrally at a certain age. I will say this method is not 100% and I am a bit rusty. :lol:

Close-up

yjcc.jpg

Archived