Pod Your Reef

FOR SALE Joel's IM Nuvo 30 Now RAZOR Nano powered!

joel sandoman

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
joel sandoman

Installed my Hydor Slim Nano skimmer last night. I bought it because it has good reviews and it fits perfectly and is very inconspicuous.

20130310_150848_zpsfda052d0.jpg20130310_153759_zps089cc026.jpg

I still need to fix the light. Just lazy since I am at least a month from stocking. Also installed my InTank media basket on the other side. Of course I had to modify it be able to get it in the chamber because my tank has overhead cabinets in the way.

joel sandoman

So I am starting to really think about fish now. I want 4-5 fish in this tank. The last fish will be a Mystery Wrasse. I also want a pair of clowns of some sort. ( Picassos or Mochas maybe? Flame clowns are cool too. Also thinking some kind of jawfish. Maybe a goby or blenny or something. So here is the order I would add them. Please feel free to reorder or suggest.

1.Blenny or goby

2.jawfish

3. clown pair ( do they have to be paired already?)

4. Mystery Wasse (small)

So I am starting to really think about fish now. I want 4-5 fish in this tank. The last fish will be a Mystery Wrasse. I also want a pair of clowns of some sort. ( Picassos or Mochas maybe? Flame clowns are cool too. Also thinking some kind of jawfish. Maybe a goby or blenny or something. So here is the order I would add them. Please feel free to reorder or suggest.

1.Blenny or goby

2.jawfish

3. clown pair ( do they have to be paired already?)

4. Mystery Wasse (small)

I wouldn't get a mystery, they are pretty but need lots of room and can be very aggressive.

It's hard to suggest fish for other people because we all have different tastes but I like the possum or pink streaked wrasses. Jawfish are habitual jumpers so you would need a top (not eggcrate, openings are too big). Some of the basslets are really cool. There are lots of neat blennies and gobies.

If you are like me you will change your mind several times, my tank has been running 2 1/2 months, no fish yet and I've changed my stocking list 3 times. :lol:

joel sandoman

It's hard to suggest fish for other people because we all have different tastes but I like the possum or pink streaked wrasses. Jawfish are habitual jumpers so you would need a top (not eggcrate, openings are too big). Some of the basslets are really cool. There are lots of neat blennies and gobies.

If you are like me you will change your mind several times, my tank has been running 2 1/2 months, no fish yet and I've changed my stocking list 3 times. :lol:

I have the IM Nuvo stock glass lid so that shouldn't be a problem. Are Basslets aggressive? (in what order of things should they be added?

I have the IM Nuvo stock glass lid so that shouldn't be a problem. Are Basslets aggressive? (in what order of things should they be added?

Basslets vary in temperament. Yellow (gold) assessors are peaceful. Royal grammas seem to be a roll of the dice, some people have great luck with them but others get a devil fish. Most others are rated as "semi aggressive".

The general rule of thumb is most peaceful first, most aggressive last so it just depends on what your final list looks like.

Great tank build thread you have got going here!

Makes me excited to get my own going if all goes well!

What light bracket did you use to mount your AI Nano?

joel sandoman

Great tank build thread you have got going here!

Makes me excited to get my own going if all goes well!

What light bracket did you use to mount your AI Nano?

Thanks. Right now I have it mounted on the stock bracket. I am trying to figure out another way to mount it so it hangs over the middle of the tank.

albertthiel

Installed my Hydor Slim Nano skimmer last night. I bought it because it has good reviews and it fits perfectly and is very inconspicuous.

20130310_150848_zpsfda052d0.jpg20130310_153759_zps089cc026.jpg

I still need to fix the light. Just lazy since I am at least a month from stocking. Also installed my InTank media basket on the other side. Of course I had to modify it be able to get it in the chamber because my tank has overhead cabinets in the way.

Looking good ...

joel sandoman

I built a jawfish house. Unfortunately I had to take out all the live rock and sand to put it where I want it. I will have to post a pic of the newish scape when the water clears. 20130323_200136_zpse35cf10f.jpg

joel sandoman

Well if you use that bracket the only way is to use shorter screws. I plan on hanging it.

How would you go about raising up the light. I've got the same setup and was just wondering

It's always weird to me seeing someone else that has my name.

Cool that you are starting up again, I am getting ready to do so myself, pending summer empolyment.

In terms of stocking, if you are not set on a jawfish, I'd recommend a blenny of some sort. They always have a personality 10x their size and usually are pretty peaceful.

joel sandoman

It's always weird to me seeing someone else that has my name.

Cool that you are starting up again, I am getting ready to do so myself, pending summer empolyment.

In terms of stocking, if you are not set on a jawfish, I'd recommend a blenny of some sort. They always have a personality 10x their size and usually are pretty peaceful.

Haha yeah I know, I always get excited to meet another Joel. I am thinking about a Midas blenny but I just can't make up my mind

joel sandoman

Came home with some corals. Blu hornet, rasta, pink zipper, blue orgasm, ricordia, dragonballzy looking zoa, a cool rhodactis, a favia, and for good measure some GSP

joel sandoman

I drove about 45 minutes to a place called diablo corals. They have so many frags. Had a sale for buy 8+ frags get 30 percent off. So I got 9 frags for $150

I had an orchid dottyback. Supposedly they are the less aggressive of the dottybacks. I didn't have her long enough to see if that held true. She was captured by a giant mushroom :eek: She did hide a lot in the rocks which was a little disappointing.

I'll second the Pink Streaked Wrasse. They are a beautiful and peaceful fish :)

LOVE the scape too!!!!! I've become a big fan of pillars :happy:

joel sandoman

Thanks gena. I got a hogfish to start with and they look so similar to a wrasse now I am rethinking if I want a wrasse. We'll see. I will be adding livestock slowly.

I had an orchid dottyback. Supposedly they are the less aggressive of the dottybacks. I didn't have her long enough to see if that held true. She was captured by a giant mushroom :eek: She did hide a lot in the rocks which was a little disappointing.

I'll second the Pink Streaked Wrasse. They are a beautiful and peaceful fish :)

LOVE the scape too!!!!! I've become a big fan of pillars :happy:

joel sandoman

20130401_201945_zps7e50e0ac.jpg

New scape after adding the jawfish house, not really changed much. Also now with 100% more coral and two spot candy hogfish.

Archived