inTank Media Baskets

Roger's 50G Frag Tank

TheKleinReef

Are you allowing enough time duration between ALK/MG/CA dosages with the GHL? I dose Ca and ALK every 4 hours and with a two hour space between each dose. Eg. Ca 12:00, ALK 14:00, Ca 16:00, ALK 18:00. In total, 6 doses of each per day. Keeps things pretty stable in my 20g, I still test twice a week though and if I see a small change I leave it alone until the next test to see if it went down on it's own first, usually does. Your swings are on the bigger side so it has to be false readings from test kits or precipitation. :)

Christine

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TheKleinReef

Are you allowing enough time duration between ALK/MG/CA do sings with the GHL? I dose Ca and ALK every 4 hours and with a two hour space between each dose. Eg. Ca 12:00, ALK 14:00, Ca 16:00, ALK 18:00. In total, 6 doses of each per day. Keeps things pretty stable in my 20g, I still test twice a week though and if I see a small change I leave it alone until the next test to see if it went down on it's own first, usually does. Your swings are on the bigger side so it has to be false readings from test kits or precipitation. :)

Christine

I have the settings on auto:

Pump 1: Calcium

it was 10x1mL but now its 0mL/day

Pump 2: Alk

10x5mL

Pump 3: Off (its going to be mag when i can get it working. i tried this morning but it didn't work... :()

doesn't auto mode space them out over 24 hours, the manual says it compensates so nothing is dosing close together. is manual mode something i should consider over auto?

Actually I am not sure on the calculation GHL makes, never used the AUTO setting on anything I own (control freak) LOL. If by chance the doser is dosing Ca and ALK too close to each other, this may be the problem. Think... 10 doses each per day, mixed with 10 doses Alk per day, IMO these doses are too close, whenever they are actually occurring. I would not dose ALK vs Ca any closer than two hours apart personally. Stability can be achieved with 4 to 6 doses of each element daily. No need for 10 X 1mL, 5 X 2mL spaced further apart makes more sense.

Your 3rd pump may be switched off. Go into manual setting and set it up, make sure to SAVE it. Actually, it's not that difficult to program the GHL manually. Work out your dosing schedule on paper first for all your elements, then program.

Just a note on Mg, I dose it 5 minutes after Ca, this is not a problem because the two are similar in structure and will not react with each other. Mg close to ALK will react with each other so avoid this.

Here's a copy of my dosing grid for reference:

GHL.doc

TheKleinReef

Actually I am not sure on the calculation GHL makes, never used the AUTO setting on anything I own (control freak) LOL. If by chance the doser is dosing Ca and ALK too close to each other, this may be the problem. Think... 10 doses each per day, mixed with 10 doses Alk per day, IMO these doses are too close, whenever they are actually occurring. I would not dose ALK vs Ca any closer than two hours apart personally. Stability can be achieved with 4 to 6 doses of each element daily. No need for 10 X 1mL, 5 X 2mL spaced further apart makes more sense.

Your 3rd pump may be switched off. Go into manual setting and set it up, make sure to SAVE it. Actually, it's not that difficult to program the GHL manually. Work out your dosing schedule on paper first for all your elements, then program.

Just a note on Mg, I dose it 5 minutes after Ca, this is not a problem because the two are similar in structure and will not react with each other. Mg close to ALK will react with each other so avoid this.

Here's a copy of my dosing grid for reference:

awesome thank you very much! :) i'll work on sorting this out today. also i think i had calcium wrong. i checked my log and i had it on 6x2mL before i turned it off. as for the third pump, i hit the red button that runs the pump and the pump sucked the solution from the vessel, but it never came out of the other side of the pump...

edit: also i looked at the dosing schedule you made. the XX00 numbers are time i'm assuming. but the column next to it just says "__mL." am i reading it right? you left the amounts blank?

You say the pump is sucking the solution but it never comes out the other end? So where might it be going? Check all your tube connections first, you may be loosing syphon at some point. Is the motor turning? Remove the plastic cover over the pump and check the peristaltic tube is in place and not damaged. I am not a technician however, you may want to try the GHL online forum for specific help if you cannot figure it out and get it working.

The .doc I sent is just a guide line (you should be able to change all entries), yes the numbers on the left are the times the dose occurs (Using the 24 hour clock). You can change these times. The (___mL) column is the amount of each dose. You need to enter that in yourself as you know your tanks elemental usage. e.g. Divide the total daily usage by the number of doses and enter that number in for each dose. Later you can make small tweaks to the daily total by changing only one of the doses, makes it easier than changing all the doses for that day. If dosing changes by several mL/day it's better to change all the dose amounts...follow?

I have the 4 pump version, so I use the 4th pump for liquid carbon dosing (Zeovit). Just disregard that.

Calibration is based on the height each hose has to carry the solution. Works like a RTN pumps head pressure. Try to place your GHL inline with the level the solution will be dosed from, so the calibration should be good at 60mL/min. If you need to calibrate, follow the instructions and have the equipment in place when you do it.

Again, 4-6 equal doses per day of each element should keep your levels quite stable. No need for 10. Also, 4 doses will allow for a more accurate daily total dose. The more space between ALK and Ca the better, minimum 2 hours. Mg can be dosed close to Ca but not ALK. Mg is used so little in the average tank that one dose per day will suffice in most cases. Actually my Mg is kept up by WC's basically, I only dose 1mL per day from the GHL.

This should help rule out precipitation as a cause for fluctuating elements. Elemental usage will fluctuate naturally in small amounts during the course of a week, this is usually no reason for concern but I test often and only make changes if the trend continues over a few weeks.

Christine

TheKleinReef

Christine

I fixed the 3rd pump. it was sucking in a lot of air. causing it not to move the solution at all.

i calibrated all the pumps and used your dosing regimen sheet (which is awesome btw) and have Alk dosing 6x at 10mL. i didn't set up calcium because it's still abnormally high at 450... i tested 3 times. but the 29 tested normal. so i'm going to assume that the frag tank was overdosed... i'm gonna let that naturally fall back down to 420ppm-ish. i also didn't set up magnesium because i'm going to wait a week and see what the weekly consumption is, then split the compensation up over 7 days. (that may be unnecessary but i like smaller doses)

Here's all the parameters:

Ca: 450

Alk: 6.7

Mag: 1350

thanks for all the tips once again!

Good news, once you get all the pumps running everything should be more stable, let me know how it goes:)

Christine

TheKleinReef

Good news, once you get all the pumps running everything should be more stable, let me know how it goes:)

Christine

Will do! Your advice made a world of difference.. :D

• 2 weeks later...
TheKleinReef

Calcium came down finally!

Ca: 430

Alk: 6.8

Mg: 1350

dosing:

Ca: none yet.

Alk: 4 doses @ 15,15,16,17mL

Mg: 1 dose @ 45mL

other updates:

i orded some stuff from blu-line:

25 6x6x6 boxes

25 8x8x8 boxes

25 10x10x10

and 1000 5x10" 4mm poly bags. (if you want to buy 100 i'll sell a pack for $5) haha

so if you want some random coral i have lemme know! loll

Polarcollision

i don't have anything cool yet...

i'm trying to get rid of all the generic beginner stuff to make room for cooler stuff. :( sorry

No worries. :-) I've filled up shopping carts at those online stores and just closed the window too many times. No one seems to have more than two and shipping is a ####.

TheKleinReef

No worries. :-) I've filled up shopping carts at those online stores and just closed the window too many times. No one seems to have more than two and shipping is a ####.

i've been there lol. let me know if you find some interesting stuff. i need some cooler coral

Polarcollision

i've been there lol. let me know if you find some interesting stuff. i need some cooler coral

I need that Hawkins Echinata in my life really badly, so I should have some of that to share in... how long does it take to grow out? A year? This SPS thing is kinda new to me.

TheKleinReef

I need that Hawkins Echinata in my life really badly, so I should have some of that to share in... how long does it take to grow out? A year? This SPS thing is kinda new to me.

I'm not so sure on its growth rate. I've been looking for some myself

Polarcollision

I'm not so sure on its growth rate. I've been looking for some myself

I think it is supposed to be average growth for SPS. Mine aren't really taking off like I see other people's do. I've had a small frag of Cali tort that I don't think has grown at all. The pink lemonade is growing but has no color. SPS is tough!

There are about 5 places I found that carry it, but it looks like almost $100 for a tiny frag after shipping. grrr.

TheKleinReef

I think it is supposed to be average growth for SPS. Mine aren't really taking off like I see other people's do. I've had a small frag of Cali tort that I don't think has grown at all. The pink lemonade is growing but has no color. SPS is tough!

There are about 5 places I found that carry it, but it looks like almost $100 for a tiny frag after shipping. grrr.

I'd keep an eye on forums for it. You could try frag swaps too. I've never been to one but I want to someday. I'd like to get a small AIO that i can bring to trade/sell from too. I'm just lazy. Hah
Polarcollision

I'd keep an eye on forums for it. You could try frag swaps too. I've never been to one but I want to someday. I'd like to get a small AIO that i can bring to trade/sell from too. I'm just lazy. Hah

I really like the Nuvo 8 gallon as an AIO. It's been really good to me with the InTank upgrade and the pump upgrade. Good idea -- I should check out the next frag swap. I don't think the Seattle area is very active for trading coral. Have only found 3 people outside of the fantastic (but expensive LFS)

TheKleinReef

I really like the Nuvo 8 gallon as an AIO. It's been really good to me with the InTank upgrade and the pump upgrade. Good idea -- I should check out the next frag swap. I don't think the Seattle area is very active for trading coral. Have only found 3 people outside of the fantastic (but expensive LFS)

I need to get into the frag swap scene. But I just don't have the time and energy. Lol if I ever got an AIO it'd be something shallow wide and acrylic.

• 3 weeks later...
TheKleinReef

Update: A few new SPS were added. nothing cool or rare. i want to switch bulbs before i add anything really colorful and cool. I'm still not dosing Calcium, but i don't have a test kit soooo. :o (my bad there). last time i checked was the 1st and it was 470. so it took 3 weeks to drop 30ppm. or it was wayyy over the 500ppm test kit limit. i think that was the case. but i only dosed 10ppm a day which was working for a few months then all of a sudden Ca spiked. i have no clue. hopefully after a few weeks of no dosing & consistent water changes i can get Ca down to 420ish range..

anywho.

i made a gallon of Magnesium solution and a gallon of Ca solution in case i need it. I'm going to use the solution that i was dosing on the frag tank in the 29g.

regardless, this morning was a good morning in the fish room :) i gots lots accomplished.

• 2 weeks later...
TheKleinReef

Alright i'm still having trouble with calcium. i haven't dosed it since June and it consistently tests around 440-470ppm.

I am dosing reef builder, and BRS Mag. would the reef builder be adding in calcium as well? I just don't understand why corals are exploding with growth, but the calcium isn't going anywhere? the only explanation would be that its somehow being supplemented.

any advice?

Archived