SaltCritters.com

Roger's 50G Frag Tank

TheKleinReef

jedimasterben

I would not add biopellets since this is its own system. They would strip the water too much IMHO.

If it was a fully-stocked reef tank with lots of fish, that's one thing.

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TheKleinReef

I have to agree

alrighty, i just thought the film fromt he pellets would help feed. but that logic makes sense. But i do have too much room in my sump.... i need a new toy or something.

jedimasterben

I don't (and have never) bought the 'bacterial film feeds corals' thing. Corals want lower-micron foods in the case of SPS, but bacteria are in a whole other category.

Besides, the bacteria would strip FAR more nutrients out of the water than the corals would ever be able to take in by feeding on them.

TheKleinReef

I don't (and have never) bought the 'bacterial film feeds corals' thing. Corals want lower-micron foods in the case of SPS, but bacteria are in a whole other category.

Besides, the bacteria would strip FAR more nutrients out of the water than the corals would ever be able to take in by feeding on them.

i agree that's not a new toy suggestion :P

TheKleinReef

You could do a fuge (display?)

Bioballs

Extra water volume!

i do have a drilled 10g i could plumb in... but meh, i've never been a fan of macro displays.

I mean a toy like a calcium reactor, zeovit reactor (hah, not anytime soon), or media reactors, probes, etc. :P

I would not add biopellets since this is its own system. They would strip the water too much IMHO.

If it was a fully-stocked reef tank with lots of fish, that's one thing.

Interesting idea...i was on the fence about BP's for my prop tank but went with macro for similar reasons (light bioload, infrequent feedings, etc...).

If you want a toy, get something to take better pics with or take a class or two! That will be more fun/rewarding than anything else since your tank is pretty well setup.

TheKleinReef

Interesting idea...i was on the fence about BP's for my prop tank but went with macro for similar reasons (light bioload, infrequent feedings, etc...).

If you want a toy, get something to take better pics with or take a class or two! That will be more fun/rewarding than anything else since your tank is pretty well setup.

I have a DSLR with 50mm macro lens. check out my 29g thread i posted some pics there. i just don't have much to take pictures of in this tank. hah my parents are photography pros, and i've been reading up on tank photography, it just gets a tad boring.

jedimasterben

Roger, I don't remember if I ever mentioned it, but have you thought about the Blue Coral method? Imagine 40cm/year growth rates. :)

Roger, I don't remember if I ever mentioned it, but have you thought about the Blue Coral method? Imagine 40cm/year growth rates. :)

I was curious so I looked this up... are you adding Human Growth Hormone to your tank Ben? lol I don't understand this at all :unsure:

jedimasterben

I was curious so I looked this up... are you adding Human Growth Hormone to your tank Ben? lol I don't understand this at all :unsure:

No. It is very illegal in the states (except in very specific situations, and it is highly regulated). People here simply use the base principles - intense light, amazing flow, excellent filtration (basically Berlin systems, live rock and big skimmer), very high base parameters (500+ cal, 12dkh+ alk, 1500+ mag, some go up to 600+ cal over in Spain), and at least one feeding per week of 'Pappone', which is a homemade mush that is ultra high in protein, which breaks down into dozens of amino acids that trigger insane feeding responses among corals and allows to take in much more food.

The somatotropin (HGH) breaks down into very particular amino acids, which I found out their exact composition and can purchase just those in bulk, and am doing more research into it. Stay tuned :)

We have local asian markets here that I could get fresh seafood from. I'm looking for a 'system' to run for a small propagation setup (Same size as Roger's) so I'm fairly interested in this! I did read a bit more about it and came to the basic conclusion you wrote: Berlin, great salt mix with dosing/frequent wc, and Pappone mixture.

TheKleinReef

yes you have, but i'm not that confident enough to actually commit to it...yet

jedimasterben

We have local asian markets here that I could get fresh seafood from. I'm looking for a 'system' to run for a small propagation setup (Same size as Roger's) so I'm fairly interested in this! I did read a bit more about it and came to the basic conclusion you wrote: Berlin, great salt mix with dosing/frequent wc, and Pappone mixture.

Water changes actually are not part of the equation. Water changes can be beneficial, but the more often they are performed, the more... delicate the system, so-to-speak. It's difficult to describe, but basically do as few water changes as possible and replenish the big three macronutrients via dosing, and then the only micronutrients I would worry about (and test for) are strontium and iodide, the rest will be provided by the food you put into the tank (most people don't realize that, and is the reason they do water changes, when in fact, none are necessary).

TheKleinReef

Water changes actually are not part of the equation. Water changes can be beneficial, but the more often they are performed, the more... delicate the system, so-to-speak. It's difficult to describe, but basically do as few water changes as possible and replenish the big three macronutrients via dosing, and then the only micronutrients I would worry about (and test for) are strontium and iodide, the rest will be provided by the food you put into the tank (most people don't realize that, and is the reason they do water changes, when in fact, none are necessary).

I feel like this is an obvious answer.... but if i went the Ca reactor route, could i just set that up to keep all the parameters high? then just monitor it from there? or would it be best to keep it high by individually dosing each element?

also, you wouldn't happen to have a good papponne recipe?

jedimasterben

I feel like this is an obvious answer.... but if i went the Ca reactor route, could i just set that up to keep all the parameters high? then just monitor it from there? or would it be best to keep it high by individually dosing each element?

also, you wouldn't happen to have a good papponne recipe?

Yes, CaRx would be set it and forget it once tuned in, but same with 2-part, just gotta tune them.

I will grab the link for you when I get back to my computer.

Yes, CaRx would be set it and forget it once tuned in, but same with 2-part, just gotta tune them.

I will grab the link for you when I get back to my computer.

This one? :)

From Ben:

Here is a link to where I got the recipe from, and a link to the main thread that has some friggin insane reefs that use it.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9270360&postcount=889

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=971190

jedimasterben
  • 2 weeks later...
TheKleinReef

Summer is coming and i'm gonna be working a lot, so that means..... SPS CORAL SHOPPING!

What's the best sight for the best bang for your buck corals?

i'm debating on buying 5-10 small colonies or 15+ frags.

i've looked at cherry corals, aqua san diego, divers den. what are you're favorite places to get nice SPS from for a good price?

Summer is coming and i'm gonna be working a lot, so that means..... SPS CORAL SHOPPING!

What's the best sight for the best bang for your buck corals?

i'm debating on buying 5-10 small colonies or 15+ frags.

i've looked at cherry corals, aqua san diego, divers den. what are you're favorite places to get nice SPS from for a good price?

Cherrycorals has amazing stuff, prices are fair for what they offer. They are also close to you (so is DD). One thing to remember with CC is that they love their names, even stuff they doesn't have names....

TheKleinReef

Cherrycorals has amazing stuff, prices are fair for what they offer. They are also close to you (so is DD). One thing to remember with CC is that they love their names, even stuff they doesn't have names....

I've noticed cherry corals loves to name things. aha. I'll keep looking around. Maybe some people are willing to sell or trade me things from here too! Hah

TheKleinReef

Does anyone use educators I their return lines? I saw them on tidal gardens and was wondering if its something I could use to increase flow without adding pumps in the tank.

Archived