inTank Media Baskets

The OMG&WTF, the 150 rises out the ashes!

gulfsurfer101

Blubbernaut
Yeah, I may just do a cat bamboo shark, definately gonna want another scorpion fish, may just forget the eel and grouper. I've seen a cat bamboo do well in an overstocked 125g for over three years with very little maintance. I'm more than positive that I can pull it off in this tank with larger monthly water changes. The tank seems to be doing better the second time around now that I fixed up those two leaks. I am still only running fresh water till I'm certain that it is fail proof. The floating ball check valve held overnight and I'm confidant that if I went through a power outage I will not end up with a soaked floor and have lots of room in the sump to hold thestimated 4 gallons that my return pipe holds. Here are some photos taken with a 20" nova extreme pro. This light coupled with my 24" current dual sunpaq fixture should be plenty of light for what I'm doing plus give me that dawn and dusk effect that will be pretty cool to watch predators come to life under.

Do you mean catshark or bamboo shark? They're two different things. 250g is preferred for them, either way.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
gulfsurfer101

It will be fine, I'm done my research and seen it with my own eyes so I don't know how many you've kept in the past in your 300+system but I'm lucky enough to have a few locals that are shark keepers to help out and utilize the information they've gathered to make things as smooth as possible. Sorry to sound like a d1ck but I don't think you have any real experience in this field and are just reapeating something you've read somewhere. I know from first hand experience just how adaptable these creatures are.

gulfsurfer101

Anyways if you think about it, each of our own tanks are just sick little science experiments.

Blubbernaut

Anyways if you think about it, each of our own tanks are just sick little science experiments.

Well, excuse me for trying to help! Jeesh....

EDIT: I recommend doing a whitespotted bamboo shark, IF you decide to do a shark.

Blubbernaut

Here's some info on them :

A small juvenile Whitespotted bambooshark can be housed in a 30 gallon / 115 L aquarium, but you will have to get a 180 gallon / 680 L aquarium or larger sooner or later. Don’t purchase a Whitespotted bambooshark unless you are prepared to house it when it becomes a large adult. A newborn fish can become over 40 cm (16 in) long before even reaching an age of 6 months. Bottom area is actually more important than the exact volume of the aquarium, so if you are choosing between two similarly sized aquariums, go for the one with the largest bottom area. This shark is a bottom dwelling creature and will rarely swim to the upper parts of the aquarium.

As mentioned above, the White spotted bamboo shark is a night active species that wants to stay hidden in a reef crevice during the day, and it is therefore important to provide it with at least one suitable cave, crevice or similar in the aquarium. This is a burly fish that will search through the substrate every night, so make sure that everything is properly fastened in the aquarium. Heavy objects should be placed directly on the aquarium glass.
Whitespotted bambooshark can be housed with fish that aren’t small enough to be considered food and has for instance been successfully kept with grunts, snappers, jacks, groupers, and goatfish. Keep an eye on the shark during feeding times because it does not compete well with faster and more assertive species. Do not combine the Whitespotted bambooshark with fish that feed by scraping encrusting invertebrates off the substrate because they are often fond of nipping this shark.
The recommended water temperature is 72-78º F / 22-25.5º C. The specific gravity should be 1.020-1.023 and the pH-value 8.1 to 8.4. Keep the water quality high, i.e. never allow high levels of organic waste to form.

You're welcome.
If you take good care of your Whitespotted bambooshark it can reach an age of 25 years in captivity.

A 150 gallon isn't really a suitable tank for a shark, I mean, a 2-3 foot shark that uses more sandbed in a 72 x 18 inch tank just sounds downright terrible for the shark, no matter how many fish or how big of a skimmer you have.

I would ask renee at lionfishlair about scorps, especially with sharks.

gulfsurfer101

The shark I'm looking at getting only reaches 20" so being that my tank is just as wide I'm more than positive that you women are just being negative Nancy's! I don't care how many people say what, the bottom line is this is my f*cken tank and I'll keep whatever the $@ I want in it. I've also kept a scorpoin in my full reef 40br for nearly two years and he never ate one of my fish. He was a live feeder when I got him but weened off live feeders using minced garlic soaked silverfish. He never once ate my display fish. He would sit in his hole all day and would only come out to feed or show off how cool he looked so I would feed him. I wouldn't keep these animals if I didn't have the experience or knowledge. I went from a 175g predator tank to a nano-reef back in 06 so I got a little background and experience behind me. I do appreciate all your input however. The scape I plan on having is going for two columns on each side of the tank leaving the end and middle opened up so it should have plenty of bottom room.

Blubbernaut

Now I'm truly sorry I tried to help you out. What you're saying is equal to "A tang can SURVIVE in a 10g". Have fun killing "cat bamboo" sharks.

Dude chill out, your acting as if you just had a bunch of cocaine.

He prolly did.

gulfsurfer101

I dI'd just infact had a bunch of cocaine but the strippers left with the rest. B!tches. I am in much need of a vacation so that's why I'll be driving in the middle of the morning to get to this place up near Austin, Tx. By this time tomorrow I'll be doing cannonballs off the cliffs of this soooooper bada$$ nature place!

post-30503-0-35668900-1375402705.jpeg

Blubbernaut

I dI'd just infact had a bunch of cocaine but the strippers left with the rest. B!tches. I am in much need of a vacation so that's why I'll be driving in the middle of the morning to get to this place up near Austin, Tx. By this time tomorrow I'll be doing cannonballs off the cliffs of this soooooper bada$$ nature place!

This is the problem with humanity nowadays. Apparently, life is all about getting high, drunk, and having sex. It's quite pathetic.

gulfsurfer101

I know, people aren't worth the sh!t off my shoe these days. Infact I have had a very trying day. I'm at full stress level, and this little vacation has been long overdue. Infact the only fish I wanna see this weekend are the one's that are one's that are hiding in fear from my cliff jumps!

gulfsurfer101

Ok so the shark I'm thinking of adding is infact a coral banded shark, not the banded cat shark. The tank size is perfect for that general species.

Blubbernaut

Ok so the shark I'm thinking of adding is infact a coral banded shark, not the banded cat shark. The tank size is perfect for that general species.

Chiloscyllium punctatum- Black banded cat shark

Courtesy of LA

Minimum Tank Size: 180 gallons Care Level: Expert Only Temperament: Aggressive Reef Compatible: No Water Conditions: 72-78° F, dKH 8-12, pH 8.1-8.4, sg 1.020-1.025 Max. Size: 3' 6" Color Form: Black, Tan Diet: Carnivore Compatibility: View Chart Origin: Indonesia, Sumatra Family: Hemiscyllidae

What do these Quick Stats mean? Click here

overview

The Black Banded Cat Shark is known as a Cat Shark because the barbels at the mouth look like cat whiskers. It is also referred to as the Brownbanded Bamboo Shark, and has a cream-colored body with broad dark black stripes. There may be large, muted brown spots between the stripes when the fish gets larger.

The Black Banded Cat Shark is a bottom dwelling shark that is common in the home aquarium. It will eat any crustacean in the aquarium. It stays relatively small, but requires at least a 180 gallon or larger aquarium as an adult. It requires sand as the substrate as the abdomen is easily scratched by a coarser substrate, which may lead to an infection. It should never be exposed to copper-based medications.

Feeding may be difficult in the beginning. When first introduced into the aquarium, small pieces of cleaned squid or live saltwater feeder shrimp should be used to entice this fish to eat. Then it may be fed shrimp, scallops or pieces of fresh marine fish. Feeding these sharks quality foods such as whole cockle in the shell, fresh shrimp and squid, and frozen mussel are ideal.

Approximate Purchase Size: Small: 5" to 7"; Medium: 7" to 10"; Large: 10" to 15"

You just don't have the necessary size for a shark.

gulfsurfer101

Ok so how many have you had. I'm telling you the info you listed above is not even the animal I'm refferring to. The banded cat shark and coral banded shark are infact two different fish. The minimum tank space for the coral banded is 125g. Besides, had I listened to the lfs owner that said I was out my mind starting a reeftank in anything other than a 100+ gallon system, and I was destined to fail about eight years back, then I might have missed out on some of the coolest experiences I have got to witness as a nano-reefer. Besides pushing the limits is what this hobby is all about. I h ave a solid foundation with lots of knowledge and experience behind me from people that have first hand knowledge, and that my friend is worth more to me than what some mainstream website says, who's only agenda is to sell sell sell. You need a bigger tank, new equipment, supplements, ect....

Blubbernaut

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A CORAL BANDED SHARK! What you're talking about is another common name for Brown-banded Bamboo Shark, which can get quite large! Believe me, I have an encyclopedia listing every single species of shark known to man-kind! There is a coral catshark, but NO CORAL BANDED SHARK! You know what, I'm done helping you, as you apparently know every single thing about fish and sharks and crap. What are you, 18?

gulfsurfer101

Yes there is and it reaches a max size of 24" but you should know that being the expert here. Btw, I never asked for your help, you just felt so obligated to inform me about these random facts. You keep telling me all this stuff I know to be false. Anyways here is a video of the the so called mystical coral banded shark. Oh they really exist, better check under the bed for monsters and goblins, lol. Now that we destroyed your they do not exist gripe, try looking up related videos, they are infact interesting creatures.

Blubbernaut

Yes there is and it reaches a max size of 24" but you should know that being the expert here. Btw, I never asked for your help, you just felt so obligated to inform me about these random facts. You keep telling me all this stuff I know to be false. Anyways here is a video of the the so called mystical coral banded shark. Oh they really exist, better check under the bed for monsters and goblins, lol. Now that we destroyed your they do not exist gripe, try looking up related videos, they are infact interesting creatures.

That's a juvenile Brownbanded bamboo shark. You need to do some ACTUAL research.

Sorry, but there's one species for these two common names.

Unless you can find a real latin name for the coral banded shark that isn't a brown banded.

Blubbernaut

Sorry, but there's one species for these two common names.

Unless you can find a real latin name for the coral banded shark that isn't a brown banded.

The more commonly used non-latin name for Chiloscyllium punctatum (which this is) is brown-banded bamboo shark. However, coral banded shark and Black Banded Cat Shark are also used. The black and white patterning fades to brown as it matures.

Is that a park or a secret camping spot? It looks like a good time even if there isn't any cocaine.

its both kinda,been there before too.

gulfsurfer101

Go cry to peta, I don't give a sh!t what people think about it. I'll stock whatever I want in my tank. Keep pissing me off n I'll go down to the beach and catch a black tip and throw that b@stard in there with the tail hanging out the back, dilligaf batches! Now enjoy some pics of my secret spot, it was fun and after watching the huge catfish and cichlids, I may just do fw in here and add an alligator gar just to p!ss blaubernauts off. Check it!

post-30503-0-55991900-1375639178_thumb.jpg

post-30503-0-91354300-1375639201_thumb.jpg

post-30503-0-79988200-1375639231_thumb.jpg

post-30503-0-83118000-1375639267_thumb.jpg

post-30503-0-54153200-1375639287_thumb.jpg

post-30503-0-67243600-1375639307_thumb.jpg

Archived