Innovative Marine Aquariums

The OMG&WTF, the 150 rises out the ashes!

gulfsurfer101

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
gulfsurfer101
Ya but don't replace her just get something better ;)
Already done my good sir! Gotme an angel faced girl with a heart of gold sleeping next to me now. My kids love her and she is good with them. Took some courses in marine biology as well so I'll never hear any smack about my tanks cause she is absolutely amazed at my simple 10g just holding a few pounds of liverock n hermits. We comb the beach together and share the same love towards the ocean. Life is an amazing turn of events.

I think I would go Dexter on my wife if she ever went near my tank with any chemicals like she was gonna bomb it...
Omg, that tank is amazing. I love it.

It's cheaper to keep her unless she's crazy! Good luck with getting your tank back up and on point.
Hell no it ain't, let's see, she burnt up my jeep, destroys my tank, files all the kids I supported on her income n breaks my Windows in my expedition. Im a few grand in the hole because of her crazy bullshit. Now on the other hand the girl im with now has her own vehicle, a well paying job, and doesn't count on me to provide for her. I'm good, plus there is no price to high to pay for comfort n happiness in your own home!

Wow, this really sucks...Sorry man. Let me know if there's anything I can help with.
For sure, I have some plumbing designs I wanted to incorporate to make for faster easier water changes but I've always been subpar in that area of design. You probably have a lot better knowledge there than I would. Im in no hurry so just hmu if you ever have spare time to come by and check it out n tell me what u think.
gulfsurfer101

No shatt! Thank god I never actually tied the knot with that psychobatch! The diatomes on my rock appear to be nearly all gone. I still haven't really done a real water change in the system holding my rock. I've been far too busy with work anyways but I'll be filling this tank in a week or two and just letting it do it's thing before I start adding in anything.

So a friend shoots me a text this morning from a thrift shop where peeps are known to pop some tags and there's this big@ss fish tank for 250 bucks sitting on the floor. Well it's half price day so I figure the pumps and sump alone are worth the asking price so I make the short trip over. Well I now own this bohemoth frakkin tank. Don't think I'll go full reef or my wife might just kill me. I may just do fw or puffer fish/predator only I haven't really decided yet but at 150 bucks I couldn't pass it up. My name is J an I'm a reefaholic!

20130206_091301_zpsc902d019.jpg

Once a reefaholic always a reefaholic
  • 2 weeks later...
gulfsurfer101

True, very true. I still have my rock cooking in my spare 30 and am working so damn much but finally have a day off. I may try and configure my plumbing once again tommorrow, and add a baffle or two to the sump. I plan on surfing first thing in the morning though and may harvest a few different macros like gracillara and ulva along with some sargassum creatures for my ten I have up and running.

• 4 weeks later...
gulfsurfer101

They are doing so good. I got a ten gallon thread going with pics up. I'll be looking for more this weekend if u got time.

gulfsurfer101

I bumped my thread, you should post some pics of what u got to offer on there and text me a price on some of that sick frogspawn.

I bumped my thread, you should post some pics of what u got to offer on there and text me a price on some of that sick frogspawn.

I'm gonna probably post a FS thread on here tomorrow. I finally locked in a positive ID on those hammer coral frags I have. The neon green one is sold as "toxic green" or "metallic lemon lime" and the bicolor one is sold as "toxic scribble". I've seen both sell for up to $100 per head, mine will be considerably less than that. Since I got my ATO issues straightened out those hammers have really responded well. Even the smallest one (the one you wanted) is about 3.5" when expanded.

• 1 month later...
gulfsurfer101

So I'm running a wet test to see if my plumbing is gonna hold up. I had to modify the pumps because the outlet broke when I tore it down after my tank was murdered. It's almost filled and I almost got the shakes because if it doesn't hold I'm gonna have a very large spill to clean up. I'm still not sure if I just wanna keep it fresh our go salt but the one thing I'm pretty sure, is this is going to be a predator tank.

gulfsurfer101

Sucess! It's holding, all the plumbing is working properly, rate of flow is good, I will just let it run for a couple of weeks and observe it and make any changes if need within that time. I'm thinking cat or bamboo shark, scorpion fish, eel, a few lions, possibly a grouper.

gulfsurfer101

Yeah, but that is no longer an an issue, so it's time to move forward with the project. The tank is up no leaks anywhere, and once I get the cabinet finished up, it'll be practically silent. I've heard more noise out of clatterting old hob filters.

gulfsurfer101

Ok so just over 24hrs later, I dicover my first two slow leaks. One coming from the bulkhead on my return underneath the tank, and the other is on a pvc union I didn't glue down for maintanence purposes. I'm having trouble tightening up that bulkhead because it's at the very bottom of my overflow box. The other one should be fine with some teflon tape.

Blubbernaut

Dang! Vindictive sick broad ... I hate when this happens :furious: ... taking it out on the tank.

Coulda been worse. She coulda walked in with a gun and BANG, no more kids or no more life.

surgicalsense

Coulda been worse. She coulda walked in with a gun and BANG, no more kids or no more life.

Yes of course ... but, the topic is ... Bleach in the sump.

Blubbernaut

Yes of course ... but, the topic is ... Bleach in the sump.

I'm just saying, yeah it stinks, but it's not as bad as it coulda been.

gulfsurfer101

Yeah that birch was crazy, but she is gone for goodand no longer a threat to me or my fish:)

I'm gonna do what I can to fix them leaks and get this thing operational today once I get home from work.

gulfsurfer101

So I picked up some more plumbing fittings on my way home from work and got things plumbed a little better. I'm letting the glue settle and gonna try again.

Sucess! It's holding, all the plumbing is working properly, rate of flow is good, I will just let it run for a couple of weeks and observe it and make any changes if need within that time. I'm thinking cat or bamboo shark, scorpion fish, eel, a few lions, possibly a grouper.
big tank, but you'd need two tanks, one being 300+g for those fish :/
gulfsurfer101

Yeah, I may just do a cat bamboo shark, definately gonna want another scorpion fish, may just forget the eel and grouper. I've seen a cat bamboo do well in an overstocked 125g for over three years with very little maintance. I'm more than positive that I can pull it off in this tank with larger monthly water changes. The tank seems to be doing better the second time around now that I fixed up those two leaks. I am still only running fresh water till I'm certain that it is fail proof. The floating ball check valve held overnight and I'm confidant that if I went through a power outage I will not end up with a soaked floor and have lots of room in the sump to hold thestimated 4 gallons that my return pipe holds. Here are some photos taken with a 20" nova extreme pro. This light coupled with my 24" current dual sunpaq fixture should be plenty of light for what I'm doing plus give me that dawn and dusk effect that will be pretty cool to watch predators come to life under.

post-30503-0-86285800-1375147627_thumb.jpg

post-30503-0-42921500-1375147726_thumb.jpg

Archived