Innovative Marine Aquariums

The OMG&WTF, the 150 rises out the ashes!

gulfsurfer101

gulfsurfer101

So a friend shoots me a text this morning from a thrift shop where peeps are known to pop some tags and there's this big@ss fish tank for 250 bucks sitting on the floor. Well it's half price day so I figure the pumps and sump alone are worth the asking price so I make the short trip over. Well I now own this bohemoth frakkin tank. Don't think I'll go full reef or my wife might just kill me. I may just do fw or puffer fish/predator only I haven't really decided yet but at 150 bucks I couldn't pass it up. My name is J an I'm a reefaholic!

20130206_091301_zpsc902d019.jpg

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
gulfsurfer101

Everything in the sump is taking a vinager bath. I will most likely do a leak test tomorrow when I have more time. If the tank doesn't hold I may just use the sump under my 30g. I have some spare 2x4's in the garage that I can use to frame up a stand and test out the tank. I'll run it in myggarage for a week or two and if it splodes in there then no big deal since it's detached out back. I have yet to measure the gallons but it's about 6' long and maybe 2'x2' if I had to guess.

gulfsurfer101

That brown sh!t comes off when I scratch it with my finger so I imagine it should come off fairly easy.

I'll take a tape measure to it later on tonight when I get back home. I'm starting to think about wtf I just did. I have a spare 20l I didn't want to set up because of the costs. There's really no good explanation why I got this other than sheer craziness.

gulfsurfer101

Yeah, I'm probably not going to be able to afford propper lighting so this will be a fish only tank. If I do ever decide to place any inverts ill definitely copper test. I'll most likely test the sump for sure though.

I still kick my self for not dropping the 150$ for a 8 foot 180+ gallon glass tank I saw at a thrift store a while back. My logic got the better of me, becuase "I have no where to put this its to big."

You got a major steal there man looking forward to seeing what you do.

• Like 1
gulfsurfer101

Well I measured out this beast and inside to inside measurements go as follows, l=70 h=22 3/4 w=19 1/2 so if I calculated correctly that puts this tank at about 130 gallons. I thought my wife was gonna pack her sh!t and leave the minute she saw this monster sitting on our front porch but size does impress so I got the go ahead. I did run into one major setback though. I was filling it up on our front porch, tank completely level and supported by 1x4 slats off the concrete about 1/2 an inch when about 75% full I heard a pop and noticed a small and slow leak along the bottom seem with that dookie brown pane meets the bottom of the tank about an inch and a half long. I will try and use some acrylic right angle and some weldon4 to reinforce all the seems. I'm pretty sure that should hold it together. But that is another project for another time.

gulfsurfer101

I thought about selling it on craigslist as a matter of fact. I wanted to use the cash to put towards a nice controller and to recoup some of the cost from my most recent orders from ledgroupbuy and Steve's leds as my lighting project is ever expanding. I might have before I tested it but I cannot in good face sell this tank in it's current condition. I will call the place that I always get my acrylic cut at and see how much the old man will charge me this time for the goods. Online I can get the corner angle in 6 foot pieces for 2 bucks apiece and the bonding agent for 5 bucks. If I can get it anywhere close to that locally I'll bite. Glenn I might need some help setting up the sump. You've always had a knack for sump design. Mine always suck. I might have a better return then I expected this year as well so I may just do another double 6" makers build and pack the sh!t out of them with leds and when this tank is well cycled I can just combine lighting from my 29 and have a total of four 6" makers over this tank which in my opinion will be plenty for zoas, lps and some sps up higher in the scape.

Where do you get your acrylic from? I need a piece made to cover m y overflow box since all the paint came off. I'm tired of looking at my drain anr return plumbing in my display. Makes the tank look like crap. In other news, I'm probably gonna head out to the beach one night soon to c atch some peppermint shrimp. Need any if I get a lot?

gulfsurfer101

I get it done at bluff plastics. They are pretty reasonable for most of the things I need done. As far as pepps go, I'm good. I bought a bunch of Florida aquacultured rock and I have yet to notice one aptasia anywhere. I will definitely consider another larger order for this tank if I'm able to seal it back up.

gulfsurfer101

So I found some 1/2"x1/2" square acrylic locally. All the guy had was six feet so I took what he had. I bonded the seem that had the small leak and another seem on the same side that looked questionable. I'll let it dry overnight and try again tomorrow. I'm pretty sure it will hold as the tank was nearly full when it failed. The bracing should hold since I also drilled along the leaking seem a tiny hole about 1/8" deep and applied some weldon4 to bond back the seem. This combined with the inside acrylic square bracing should be enough to stop it from leaking again. I feel the seem is stronger now than when it was first built. I just wish the guy had more bracing available. I would've done every seem in the tank.

20130211_173841-1_zps9f6e916a.jpg

Archived