Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

ganjero

My Solana has been going trough some bad stages and it affected my clam really bad. It looks like it's almost dead, the mantle is completely receded and the shell barely open. I've seen my fish trying to get in there to eat it.

I've read that when clams go bad to certain point they are not coming back so my question is, should I take it out and throw it away before it contaminates the tank and crash it? or should I keep it in there as long as I can?

LittleMissNemo

Maybe you should set up a small quarantine tank for just it. That way the fish can't eat it and it wont die in your tank. Give it a chance to heal without it being agitated or effected anything currenty in your tank.

Tom@HaslettMI

Based on your description it is too far gone to save. You can leave it for the CUC if it's small, but if it's large then I recommend pulling it.

Sorry for your loss,

Tom

Depending on the size of the clam, it would not be the best idea to leave it to rot or become food. Excess nutrients are excess nutrients.The fish are a sign of death; with death comes decomposition....ammonia etc...

Sadly it was dead when I got home yesterday, pulled it out to place in a QT and the clam just slid out of the shell. Sad to see it died, I got it when it was about 1 1/2" and it was already 6". I had crazy ALK swings in the last month or so and my sps died, and now the clam (not sure if that was the cause though). Keeping a small tank has become a big challenge for me. I had almost no issues when I had my 120g and 300g but with this solana is one thing after the other. I think the tank is more stable again.

Thanks for the posts.

Archived