Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

20 Long Ebay GU10 frag tank

--chris--

Reefmaster1996

Nope I just used plain old plastic container caps, made sure they had no air bubbles trapped when I submerged them and they worked, lol.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Reefmaster1996

Nope I just used plain old plastic container caps, made sure they had no air bubbles trapped when I submerged them and they worked, lol.

Your lucky, i would not be able to use them. Lighter ceramic plugs almost blow around, let alone acrylic frag plugs. If i used empty plastic lids...it would not even work.

I landed a gig recently, maintaining a 1000+ gallon system (600 reef, 180 aggressive fish only, 100 frag tub, 100 sump). I get some cash to cover gas/time, then i get frags out of the system to trade into stores in the area to pay for food, salt, etc...He has it setup in his business, which makes hard pool liners. This also explains why he is ok with 2000 watts of metal halide, and almost 1000 watts of VHO actinic....the microwaves that make the pool liners use about 15,000 watts (!!!!). Pics when i can get some, it will be a week or two before i need to go back.

Ill also be receiving many frags at times and i need more room. He offered me 6 monster zoa colonys as payment this past friday + dozen other big SPS frags to trade into stores when i get time for salt, but had to turn him down since they would not only FILL the 20 long...they would probably displace 40-50% of the tanks volume with the rock they are on lol.

And yes, IM VERY EXCITED about the gig!

Good for you that's exactly how I felt when I got my current job at my local LFS.

Thanks Man!

I made the haul up there yesterday to grab a few things, the lights were off in the building/tank so no pics yet :( But i did get my fill of zoas and palys!

full-colonies_zpsed92442b.jpg

Looks like there's gonna me a Friday frag nite this week man!

Maybe...after i took those pics last night i forgot to turn the return pump back on and didnt find out until today after work when i went to check on things. I might have lucked out as the water temp only dropped to 73.7, and for the most part all the colonys have opened back up...but there are a few sections of polyps that are closed right now. Fingers crossed.

How the cat did you get NW GU10's?

I might have mispoke, they could be WW or CW...but i was under the impression the LuckyZDL seller used NW in the 2:1 bulbs.

Reefmaster1996

Good luck I had a mini tank crash last weekend and I have a really nice morphed zoa colony that is.currently closed.

So far so good, i checked on everything last night and i think i got really lucky. Nothing was closed, even the sps had a few polyps extended and no RTN in sight. Bullet dodged, i think....

Bullet dodged for sure. God i love zoas and palys...they take a beating.

Ive sold some more stuff, so im moving forward and moving into a bigger tank. 48x18x12, drilled on one end. 50 breeder for a sump. Thats all that i know is certain right now. I still need a lot more stuff to make it happen, mainly more light and a skimmer.

The 50 breeder will be mostly fuge. I wrestled with the idea of carbon dosing (pellets) or using a fuge. I think since the tank will have a light load on it (some die off from fragging, and possibly 1-2 fish for algae control, then clean up crew) a fuge that is 30x18x12 should be able to handle the load well and be low maintenance.

For a skimmer, ive been looking for a used Octo 6", SWC 160, Eshopps S-200, etc...if anyone knows of one for sale id be happy to hear about it.

Return pump, im not sure...around 800 GPH is what i would like at 3'. Ive been playing with the idea of two smaller return pumps as a fail safe setup.

Lights, ill be using more ebay GU10's and id like to get some T5's to run the length of the tank...probably 2 ATI Blue+.

Lots of thinking to do...

Reefmaster1996

Cool, I have planned a similar frag tank system, low maintinance, fuge,Skimmer and low bioload.I'm also going with dual return pumps on my 50 Rimless cube project 2 sicce 2.0 actually. Let me how that works.out for you if you go that route.

Cool, I have planned a similar frag tank system, low maintinance, fuge,Skimmer and low bioload.I'm also going with dual return pumps on my 50 Rimless cube project 2 sicce 2.0 actually. Let me how that works.out for you if you go that route.

I might still go that route. Id like to pumps around 600 each @ 3', but the only ones that are cheap(sh) and have a low energy usage are the quietone pumps. They are around 35 watts for a pump that size, and relatively cheap. A similar mag pump is around 55 watts i believe.

Im going to get the tank home as soon as i get a chance, put the bulk heads in and put stand pipes in the bulkheads. Fill the tank, move the frags over and then continue waiting till i get the rest of the parts. Ive got a 48" two bulb t5 HO fixture that will work for now until i get the other GU10's.

You could use rio pumps I've heard they are economic pretty quiet and work well

Good idea, i forgot about them...

• 4 weeks later...

I ended up removing the baffled section to make space for frags. I didnt intend on getting the tank this full! Right now its just the tank, the lights, two powerheads and the heaters in their. Been working good for almost a month like that. I removed one of the heaters as i found out it was causing a large swing in temp (77-82.5).

Other than that no problems :)

CRW_0996_zpsa4965d93.jpg

CRW_0993CRW_zpsb367d7c6.jpg

CRW_0991_zpsaeb86d45.jpg

CRW_0990_zpsefe94e43.jpg

CRW_0985_zpsff9815fc.jpg

CRW_0984_zps4bea8360.jpg

CRW_0983_zpsf484d1e4.jpg

CRW_0982_zpsa914a6ca.jpg

CRW_0864CRW_zps2a2b8367.jpg

Im currently working on setting up a larger, more capable system. It will be about 100 total gallons, big fuge, large external skimmer, IC660 for lighting.

Archived