Top Shelf Aquatics

45 gallon prop tank ~ build in progress

--chris--

--chris--

Old thread here:

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/319536-20-long-ebay-gu10-frag-tank/

I never expected to have this many frags when i set the 20 gallon up. Its funny how a few small chunks of polyps can turn into so many frags, then you start trading with other people and your collections begins to grow.

Its time for something BIGGER!

My new setup will be:

48x18x12 glass tank w/two 1.5" drains

50 breeder sump (2/3 of it is fuge, 1/3 return section)

900 GPH return pump

Seio M1100 powerhead x 2

Now for the uncertain bits.

Lighting

I currently have a IC660, 4 reflectors, end caps, etc...I have been flip flopping on selling this for $70-$80 and buying two ReefBreeder value LED's.

Im not 100% sold on LED's being a perfect grow light for zoas and palys. Im not trying to be ignorant here, if i cold here from and see some data to tell me otherwise id feel better about making that jump.

I do like LED's however for there amazing ability to bring out colors. The florescence with actinics is nuts, no denying it.

Skimmer

I have a few options here. I can get a like new Reef Octo NWB110 for $160. I can get a Vertex IN-80 thats a year old, but has a new pump for $100. Another local has a SWC 200, but i think it would be too large for this system and be inefficient.

The other option i like is the SC Aquariums SCA-302 cone skimmer (AKA Ebay cone skimmer). They are $141 shipped. Some googling gives lots of info on them:

https://www.google.com/search?q=SCA-302+skimmer&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

That seems like a nice option for this size system. Anyone want to chime in?

The system is currently running. I just got the plumbing put together this past weekend, and now im tweaking it to get it just right. I moved all my live rock into the fuge (not much, only 20 lbs or so). Pics to come, updates as when news pops up :)

glennr1978

Get the ebay skimmer! I'm currently running one on my 40g and its a great little skimmer. I have a very high bioload and it keeps up easily. I like it better than any RO skimmer I've ever had minus my ext200 w/ bb3000 upgrade. That thing's a beast.

--chris--

Thank you for the vote. I appreciate it.

Ive been reading up on it a lot, plenty of info on RC about it. I really dont see any downsides. Its not a polished as BM or RO, but i dont care about that stuff. It uses an off the shelf pump, it can be broken down completly for cleanings, its got all the good modern skimmer things (cone body, diffuser, small footprint) and its well reviewed. And the price dont hurt either. Im probably going to order it tonight.

Im also thinking ill assemble this IC660 and use it for awhile, while i determine what to do about lights. Im really impressed with the reefbreeder light i bought for my dads tank, its built well for the price and its got a nice color spectrum + its adjustable. Im just not certain it will be enough light for growing sticks and zoas.

On the other hand, being able to dim one side of the tank and keep lower light stuff there would be a great advantage.

--chris--

Ok, just found out a local club is doing a groupbuy on the reefbreeder lights. I can get the value fixture for 150 shipped. Id really like to make up my mind on this within the next two days so I can save $50 a light if I am going that route.

Leds, from what I understand are every bit as powerful as any other type of light. I've seen plenty of growth comparison shots to see they do indeed grow stuff well.

I guess because they seem like they are too good to be true im leary. No bulb replacement costs, lower energy usage, great colors.....am I worried for nothing?

--chris--

This afternoon I got my pa-inlaw to watch my 12 month old and I got everything transfered over to the 45 gallon tankq

This meant dipping everything live in coral rx before going in the new tank. I did it all in 3 batches, 2.5 gallons each for 5 minutes then I put everything right into the new tank sans acclimation. Im a beleiver in dipping, but not in acclimating after the dip....just get them in their and in good water conditions asap.

I also got the ato setup, mounted a temporary twin bulb t5 fixture to keep things lit while I wait for the leds to show up...AND I PICKED UP A REEF OCTO DNW150! Brand new. :)

I've got some pics ill upload later.

I've still got a lot of work to do to make the tank finished, but it will give me the desperatly needed space.

--chris--

photobucket-8258-1367609729066_zps356844

photobucket-7070-1367609648199_zps63b4ab

photobucket-8671-1367609697702_zps6d44c1

Still A LOT of work to be done, but its running. I never realized how damn short most power cords are! Im either stuck with elongating every power cord to keep things from being stretched across the bank of the system or moving 8 outlets close to the tank. Im thinking ill move the outlets, put them overhead maybe depending on how many wires that would be going up and if i can bundle them together without tying them all together and making removing one thing a nightmare.

I need about 30-40lbs of more rock for the sump, some macro, some CFL's for the reflectors ive got and i need to finished the durso's. Currently the Durso's are just open drains and are quite loud.

Im also thinking of getting a wrasse (coris or 6 line?) and a algae eater (yellow or cole tang?)

I also need a good clean up crew, as currently i have none. I prefer snails since they can get onto the egg crate easier and dont pick food from corals as quickly. Any suggestions for how many and what kind? I know a few local stores prefer the big mexican turbos for tanks like these, but they kind of bull doze everything.

I need to make some sort of "tower" where the drains feed into so that the micro bubbles they produce dont spread around the sump, pop, and create salt creep everywhere. I was thinking of some large PVC section (8-12"?), stood on end and having both dump into that...would that work?

--chris--

All the coral is moved over, some didn't like the move some didn't mind. Most of my sps bleached, 1/2 my polyps are pissed off but look to be healthy otherwise. And some of my polyps i fear are gone, but ill see in a few weeks.

I also ordered up two reef breeder units. 90 degree optics, 120 watt full spctrum with two channels and dimmable. $345 shipped, i wont complain :D I was told by Logan it would be 1-3 weeks, the timer has started.

--chris--

I got some little things done. Changed out the return pump for a lower flow (900 GPH vs 500 GPH). That elimiated the "jet" effect the return pump had on the frag tank, cut microbubbles in the sump by 70% (ATLEAST!) and made it quiter. Plus it used 30 watts less.

I also got my two powerheads positioned pretty close to what i think will be their finally placement. They are on opposite ends, pushing up and towards the middle. I now have around 3000 gph flow in the frag tank.

Hopefully today i get a chance to work on the electrical mess thats driving me nuts, get the light hangers put together in prep for the lights showing up and grab some macro algae for the fuge.

Most of the zoas and palys are coming back around, the sps is hit and miss (the digi looks great, the monti is RTN'd). The LPS looks happy again. On my zoas/palys it looks like some of them are shedding, im not certain what caused that? Any ideas?

Looks great. Suggestion: I had a frag tank with the white egg crate and it got taken over by Dino's. apparently the white egg crate grows Dino's unless its painted with krylon fusion or the like. I would paint it if I was you.

Looks great. Suggestion: I had a frag tank with the white egg crate and it got taken over by Dino's. apparently the white egg crate grows Dino's unless its painted with krylon fusion or the like. I would paint it if I was you.

Thanks, and thank you for the heads up. Ive had good luck with egg crate once it "breaks in"...fingers crossed, knocking on wood i didnt just finx my tank :D

There is an ugly period of about a month or two, but after that it seems to settle down.

Forgot why i came here!

Reefbreeders just sent me an email, my lights are on their way! Right now the whole tank is lit with just one RB Value fixture, ive got two due to arrive shortly.

Great! Sounds like your coral will be growing super fast...you can send some , my way as a test run.....just kidding....

I got a nice yellow tang today (more gold than yellow, but i dont mind :D) and i picked up some calerpa for the fuge. Still hunting for a good deal on a worm pick'n wrasse (even though i dip everything, a wrasse cant hurt! I definitely think some fish in a tank helps keep things working in the right direction, so i might not stop at just 2.

The tank is filling up also, im oranizing the frags tonight. Ill get a pic tomorrow when everything has settled in again.

I have a six line and two melanarus in my 120 reef and once had flatworms. Needless to say they are ALL gone.

I had flattys in my 10 gallon office nano once, got a 6 line and it slurped up all of them in a few days. I was amazed. I am really hoping to find another one...seems like they went up in price since i bought one in 2006...like double.

The tang i got tonight is about 4" body 6" TL and was $40 at a nice store near me (Reef Paradise). That same tang at every other store in SE michigan was $60+

Forgot to update i also got my RB lights hung and glowing in the basement! They look great. Im a happy camper for sure.

I have a six line and two melanarus in my 120 reef and once had flatworms. Needless to say they are ALL gone.

Challice!

CRW_1328CRW_zps4ad19ebb.jpg

FTS!

fts_zpsabb77773.jpg

fts2_zps1d494812.jpg

Fragging rack (i pull out some plywood and a card table for the big jobs, but this is nice for the quick and dirty fragging)

fraggingrack_zps468a3083.jpg

As you can see i still have some room for other stuff...one day :)

There is still a good portion of work to be done. I need to move atleast 6 outlets over the tank to clean up the "strung out" wire mess that can be seen. I also have to extend a few powercords, way too short!

Id like to find a bigger ATO container (currently 5 gallon jug) and im thinking of putting a container of aragonite in there for loose fraggs that dont quite work on a plug.

edit: You know i never think of looking at petco. It always slips my mind for some reason...

• 1 month later...

Two new additions (although im not thinking permanent):

photobucket-4921-1371671802199_zps3e7802

A friend of mine got out of breeding picassos and platinums, and was getting back to reefing. He wanted frags, and had these guys so we made a deal. Im pretty happy with how the tank is going with just the Tang in their but i dont think these little guys will make a difference either way. They are for sale if anyone wants them, $75 + shipping for both.

Archived